My school refused to work with me  
 1%  [ 2 ]
I'm very behind on tuition  
 6%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 199

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Sep 26 2024, 9:38 pm
I know that # of children, how much tuition is, and vouchers play a part.

But let me just point out.
At 9:30 pm. 45 out of 93 amothers either get some form of reduction or need a reduction. That's close to 50%.
Which talks to the level of crisis.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Sep 26 2024, 10:03 pm
amother Petunia wrote:
I voted very behind. I still owe $10k from 2 years ago, let alone last year or this year. Paying it very slowly but hopefully I'll finish before I'm a great-grandmother.

ETA for context: Our income is over $120k annually.
Last year and 2 years ago tuition was about $70k
This year's tuition is about $95k (not including summer)

How is that even possible. Omg. On a salary of 120k how are you expected to pay $95k tuition??

amother
  Petunia

Post Thu, Sep 26 2024, 11:04 pm
amother Olive wrote:
How is that even possible. Omg. On a salary of 120k how are you expected to pay $95k tuition??

I doubt any school made that calculation. It's four different schools, not all the same one.

What amount WOULD you consider reasonable at that salary?

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Sep 26 2024, 11:07 pm
I get a scholarship. Less than 10% deduction. But make up the difference plus in maaser.
So it equals full tuition. Just in a way I can afford.

amother
Snow

Post Thu, Sep 26 2024, 11:31 pm
amother Celeste wrote:
I pay full tuition, plus extra. One child, HS age, I pay 16k plus about 5k extra a year to sponsor things. Another child, elementary, is 15k and I sponsor class things like trips and slurpee days. Last child is special needs and tuition is 26k. We also donated another 20k this year alone.

I voted 30%, but my special needs child's full tuition is over 35k. And he's pretty high functioning. Where do you find such cheap special ed or are you NYC/subsidized by the government?

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Sep 27 2024, 2:25 am
For those of you who have it subsided by the state
Is there an income level you need to qualify?
And what state are you in?

amother
Moonstone

Post Fri, Sep 27 2024, 2:31 am
amother Magenta wrote:
The poll does account for how much is full tuition and how many kids.

There are many communities where tuition is 25k per kid. Even 4 children means around 100k in tuition.

Yup that’s me. It’s really really hard.

amother
Snowflake

Post Fri, Sep 27 2024, 2:49 am
For all the rain in London, tuition is voluntary and about 3k a year! (state pays for schools, tuition is for kodesh)
Plus the chesed in our communities is unparalleled.
Blessed

amother
Tulip

Post Fri, Sep 27 2024, 10:03 am
Vouchers covers half of tuition and school legally can't charge the other half.
We pay about 4k in fees for all kids total

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Sep 27 2024, 12:09 pm
I voted full but I live in BP, chassidish. My total tuition for 3 kids is about 15,000. Very grateful.

amother
Clear

Post Fri, Sep 27 2024, 12:17 pm
Total tuition is 13k for elementary school here. One child is in special ed program which is officially over 100k but no one pays that much. We pay 8k for a smaller school and 5k for a larger one that has more students paying full. We can't really afford it and I am looking for work. My husband works full time.

amother
Bluebell  

Post Fri, Sep 27 2024, 12:19 pm
amother Calendula wrote:
I have vouchers so no tuition

I think what you meant to say is that you have vouchers and are below the income limit and therefore you aren't responsible for the remainder of the tuition. Vouchers in and of themselves do not necessarily equal no tuition paid by the parents.

amother
  Bluebell

Post Fri, Sep 27 2024, 12:24 pm
amother Scarlet wrote:

Absolutely yes. You have to pay the remainder of the tuition if you make more than the income level (I think it's the 400% poverty level but I'm not certain). Depending on a host of factors including exact location and if you were grandfathered into the program before the qualifications changed you could phase out of the program entirely based on income.

I can't speak for other states, but I'm in Ohio and vouchers for elementary school (K-8) is $6166 per child. Full tuition is somewhere between 11-13k. Which we are enormously grateful for but people should be aware that vouchers don't equal free tuition.

amother
Firethorn

Post Fri, Sep 27 2024, 12:25 pm
pre gan (18 m to 3) 320 per month per kid
others 270 per month per kid

cantina per kid: 65 eumonth

No cantina on Friday so you bring sand or leftovers or wtv

I had a friend who paid 180 but the school was kodesh only

amother
Trillium

Post Fri, Sep 27 2024, 12:36 pm
We habe decent income but after the taxes and insurance brings our monthly income down to $11k.

Of that, $4k goes to the schools.

We are constantly tight and moving money around and trying to make it work.

We are still getting a significant discount.

It's upsetting. At our income level, we should be able to pay more but that would be closer to 6k a month and then we couldn't afford food.

amother
  Celeste

Post Fri, Sep 27 2024, 12:51 pm
amother Snow wrote:
I voted 30%, but my special needs child's full tuition is over 35k. And he's pretty high functioning. Where do you find such cheap special ed or are you NYC/subsidized by the government?

This is the upfront, cash prepaid in full tuition price. I believe the subsidized cost is like 60 or 70kk and regular, monthly payment tuition is somewhere in the 30k range. The school always needs more money and that's why I donated significantly more this year.

amother
Charcoal

Post Fri, Sep 27 2024, 1:01 pm
amother Scarlet wrote:

Yes. I'm in Arizona and the way we get scholarships is through STOs (basically where people donate their money to our school as scholarship money instead of paying taxes and sending it to Uncle Sam). For right now my tuition is totally covered. The income limit is about 340% over the poverty level.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Sep 27 2024, 1:01 pm
I don’t know how to answer the poll. I don’t know what percentage of tuition we pay. both me and my husband do work unfortunately we do not earn enough to pay for everything plus tuition . we have filled out scholarships and negotiated with the school And we’re very honest about what we could pay and always figured out a way to pay our obligation. I found it easier when my kids were all together in the same school as the years and different things change and my kids are in multiple schools. It does make it a little bit harder if we ever do somehow make it I would love to pay the schools money that they so, graciously have helped me over the years .

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Sep 27 2024, 1:53 pm
amother Bluebell wrote:
Absolutely yes. You have to pay the remainder of the tuition if you make more than the income level (I think it's the 400% poverty level but I'm not certain). Depending on a host of factors including exact location and if you were grandfathered into the program before the qualifications changed you could phase out of the program entirely based on income.

I can't speak for other states, but I'm in Ohio and vouchers for elementary school (K-8) is $6166 per child. Full tuition is somewhere between 11-13k. Which we are enormously grateful for but people should be aware that vouchers don't equal free tuition.

200%

amother
DarkGray

Post Fri, Sep 27 2024, 2:02 pm
amother Bluebell wrote:

Yup. We are grandfathered in, so we receive the full $6166 for all of our K-8 children, and then we pay the balance of tuition, about $5500 per kid, to the school. It's not free, but it is an amazing discount, and we appreciate it very much.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics