Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
PSA Common Scams
Previous  1  2

yiddishmom

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 6:32 pm
Another one, you are on your computer and a the screen goes blank with a message that the computer was hacked and please call ASAP to repair. Unplug your computer and turn it back on.

I only once had that no matter how many times I unplugged and restarted the computer, the message kept coming back.

amother
  Nemesia

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 6:36 pm
Or
If something pops up on your phone that you won something.

amother
NeonPink

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:14 pm
yiddishmom wrote:
Another one, you are on your computer and a the screen goes blank with a message that the computer was hacked and please call ASAP to repair. Unplug your computer and turn it back on.

I only once had that no matter how many times I unplugged and restarted the computer, the message kept coming back.

Yes I had similar. The computer was beeping away with a strange sound and I didnt know what to do. The message I think was actually a voice message and kept repeating itself not to turn of the pc. I called the number and it sounded fishy so I hung up. Then they tried calling me back. In the meantime I had googled the number and saw that it was a scam.

Boca00

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:22 pm
I often get texts from random numbers like “hey, I see I have your number in my contacts.. who is this?”
Or “hi x (not my name) do you remember me?”
When I say no they say “oh whoops! It’s the wrong number. But maybe we can be friends…”

What do they get out of doing this? What are they trying to scam me for?

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:33 pm
I worked in a business and we had someone call through a relay call, which is a phone service for deaf people. They type into a computer and someone reads out the text to you. It takes very long and can be very disorienting. They claimed that they wanted to make a very large order. After a very long call, with a lot of details, and everything took much longer because it was a relay call, they told my coworker that they're going to call back in a few minutes to finalize the order. She was so excited about her really large order but I told her its definitely a scam. I had just read about such a scam using relay calls. She didn't believe me until he called back and claimed he needed to send a check for more money than the order was worth and we should send them the difference. That's when she finally realized it was really a scam. Bh all she lost was a couple hours of her time, it could have been a lot of company money that was lost.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:48 pm
amother Oak wrote:
Someone calls from immigration with a real name and badge number that cartels are using you name to purchase property and send packages. They want to help you prove your innocence.
After stringing me along for an hour they asked me to take out my money from my account and send it to them to protect. When I said no way they had the “police” call me.

Omg I had this! It was a few months ago. I was so freaked out I didn't know what it means.
They had all my info and said someone in China is using my name to send packages that are illegal.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Mon, Sep 02 2024, 9:59 pm
If you ever get a call from your bank /credit card about your account, hang up and call the banks number directly (you can find it on the back of your card). If it was really them, they'll direct you to the proper dept; if it was a scam, you'll have avoided it.

Also, never give your social security number or account numbers to someone who calls you. Hang up and call the bank /company official number.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics