Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Loosing weight does make you happier!
Previous  1  2

SuperWify

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 6:35 am
I agree.

After you have a baby and the weight you carry for nine months is mostly relieved there is no better feeling in the world- ahhhhhh.

I can imagine that if someone is significantly overweight and then looses a nice chunk they will feel happier and lighter overall. Just walking up the stairs is easier. Doing exercises, walking, cutting nails ect. Not even for vain purposes but just for ease of regular daily activities.

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 6:50 am
SuperWify wrote:
I agree.

After you have a baby and the weight you carry for nine months is mostly relieved there is no better feeling in the world- ahhhhhh.

I can imagine that if someone is significantly overweight and then looses a nice chunk they will feel happier and lighter overall. Just walking up the stairs is easier. Doing exercises, walking, cutting nails ect. Not even for vain purposes but just for ease of regular daily activities.

I have never experienced that feeling of weight disappearing after pregnancy. I was naturally slim my whole life until my first pregnancy. The weight builds for nine months and just stays. But yes, I imagine that would be an amazing feeling.

amother
Phlox

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 9:33 am
Skinny doesn’t mean hungry. Skinny means body isn’t holding onto storage.

I feel so much better physically and emotionally when I’m at a good weight.

amother
  Chestnut  

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 10:54 am
amother Narcissus wrote:
I am fat. When I’m not wearing clothes I hate my body but I made a resolution that I’m not going to go around being miserable and I found beautiful clothing for my size. And I feel good going out.
I also get in some movement every day which makes me feel amazing
I would be miserable if I dieted and very often with diets the pounds come back.

I love this! You are my hero.

amother
  Sunflower

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 11:27 am
amother Daylily wrote:
If you go low carb with high fat and protein, u may crave but if u push through u won’t crave or be hungry. Your body will be burning its own fat. And you don’t get hungry when it’s burning fat, only when it’s burning sugar (after eating carb and sugar)

Nope. I did that. I love protein and fat, it's not like I didn't have plenty of delicious options. Still never worked for me in the long term. I'd eventually reach a point where I'd go out of my mind without carbs. Even if I'd been doing well the previous 6 or 12 months. The cravings have never disappeared for me, no matter I do. They always always come back, even if it's been awhile.

amother
  Chestnut

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 11:35 am
amother Sunflower wrote:
Nope. I did that. I love protein and fat, it's not like I didn't have plenty of delicious options. Still never worked for me in the long term. I'd eventually reach a point where I'd go out of my mind without carbs. Even if I'd been doing well the previous 6 or 12 months. The cravings have never disappeared for me, no matter I do. They always always come back, even if it's been awhile.

Me too! I have the added fun peice that I get nauseous from protein and fat so I'm actually miserable eating that way.

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 12:05 pm
Doing anything that is your goal makes you happy

amother
Amber

Post Thu, May 30 2024, 12:17 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:
Me too! I have the added fun peice that I get nauseous from protein and fat so I'm actually miserable eating that way.

I found that exercise and just being more active is really helpful with cravings regardless of what I eat or don't eat, during shabbos or other days that I'm less active my cravings are much worse.

BmoreBubby  

Post Sun, Jun 02 2024, 2:11 pm
amother Sunflower wrote:
This is not true. I've gone off sugar and flour multiple times. It has never lasted. The cravings come back with a vengeance and I can't sustain it. And I'm talking about being off for 6 months, or a year. Not just those initial few weeks.

Can relate. I know that my own sugar addiction is not going away. The only way I keep it at bay is not having sweets, including cookies and cake and ice cream, in the house at all. Like if I have something special for Shabbos, by Sunday morning the leftovers are in the trash. Because I'd rather it be in the trash than on my hips, which is exactly what will happen if I keep it around.

BmoreBubby  

Post Sun, Jun 02 2024, 2:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
I have recently finally lost a significant amount of weight after having a few children back to back and piling on the pregnancy pounds. Despite so many people saying being skinny doesn't make you happier , I really am happier. No, all my problems did not go away, and there are other areas in my life where I struggle. But being able to get dressed and finally feel good about the way I look has been a game changer. So while I understand that being skinny doesn't erase all of life's problem, it does take away a big one ( if you are unhappy being heavy) and that can significantly impact a persons happiness.

I'm very happy for you but also worried for you. Because most people who achieve their weight goal end up gaining it back. Not all people, some keep it off. But the only way to keep it off is to stay disciplined like for the rest of your life. As soon as you start snacking again or keeping treats in the house you are at risk of slowly but surely gaining it back - you can avoid this but it's important to keep your "diet" habits permanent. Healthy, wholesome eating and daily exercise.

BmoreBubby  

Post Sun, Jun 02 2024, 2:15 pm
amother Sunflower wrote:

Did you ever try going "healthy, whole-grain carbs" instead of "low-carbs"?

BmoreBubby

Post Sun, Jun 02 2024, 2:17 pm
amother Slateblue wrote:
Congratulations!!! Can I ask how much weight you lost? and how?

I finally got to 30 lb lost but have lots more to go. I keep chugging along, I think I can, I think I can.... it's a lot of very very hard work and weight comes off so slowly for me.

I wish you hatzlachah!! What are you doing different? Are you dieting or exercising or taking medication or ???

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jun 02 2024, 3:17 pm
This is such an interesting post. I started out at 5 foot 1 and 315 pounds. I lost about 115 pounds and over the next few years slowly regained about 30. I have now lost the thirty and gone a bit beyond that, so I think I have a pretty unique perspective on this.

I started feeling significantly better, even before I lost a significant amount of weight with the original weight loss. Mentally, physically and in terms of chronic health issues starting to resolve including pain and inflammation.

Over a long period of time, and over the larger weight loss, my physical and mental wellbeing got better and better. Having a consistent way of eating that worked for me was incredible and it was truly incredible how even things I thought would not resolve, did over time and stayed resolved. Like hip pain. That was initially something I thought would not resolve but the longer I followed my way of eating, even with some weight regain, the pain resolved and then never came back.

At this point, I have lost the thirty pounds I regained plus some more but I actually feel no better or worse. My body size wasn't getting in my way, and since all my chronic discomfort never came back, I actually don't feel any better. I don't even particularly feel smaller, because my mobility was not affected when my weight regain happened.

I am a strong believer that weight loss is NOT BENIGN. I believe that improving our health in a way that does not incure any drastic adaptations via dieting is a good, and actually easily achieved goal. Weight loss is not a miracle cure. Fat people get sick and so do thin people.

There are associations with obesity but it is not a foregone conclusion that anyone fat or thin will be thin or healthy.

There do seem to be some conditions that are directly related to size, like stress on joints or even sleep apnea but many conditions don't need actual weight loss to be improved, they need dietary improvement and consistent ones at that.

Anyways, my life has taken amazing turns in the last 7 years. I can't express to you that even at 195 pounds, I am so hope FULL. I took on some insane educational challenges to become a healthcare provider (RPN, now studying for BScN) and my intention is to become a Certified Diabetic Educator (Diabetes is one of the things I resolved.)

I think we should all aim for feeling the best we can in the most sustainable ways any of us can each do. We are all 100% different as our individual personal histories will absolutely affect our individual outcomes.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise