Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Why do you buy brand names or knock offs?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 10:45 am
I don't think I've ever intentionally done either, but I've done both unintentionally. I buy things I like that fit within my budget. So sometimes that happens to end up being a brand name item or a knockoff of something. If it fits the bill, I'm buying it. I'm not going to beshitta skip something that is what I'm looking for just because it has or doesn't have whatever name. I really honestly don't think that hard about what I'm buying. There are a few brands that are known for really standing behind their product, so when I'm getting something "big ticket" I might seek those out first just because of that.

amother
Snow

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 10:49 am
I dont have anything against nice high quality designer things.

I only hate when people are basically wearing their insecurities on their sleeve. (look at me!! im rich!! im cool!! etc)

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 10:50 am
I appreciate a well made leather quality shoe which often means it may be designer, but no gurantee that designer is better. Mostly, but not always. Never with an obvious logo. I
Wear my shoes for years.

Same with handbags, my purse is designer, but it’s been serving me for around 10 years, very well.

I will invest in a piece if it’s quality, most people don’t even know that I wear designer unless they happen to have my exact shoe.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 11:15 am
"I myself am a fan of brand names, but I've never felt the need to buy them just to fit in. Do people really spend so much just to conform? Will others like you more if you wear these things? For me buying brand names is a passion, a hobby- it's personal. Each person should know if they're buying them to impress others or they genuinely like them. I think people appreciate more authenticity more than trying to fit in. I may seem to be off topic, but I felt like sharing a bit of my perspective. Hope this helped .

Daliya

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 11:31 am
lamplighter wrote:
So let's discuss it.
Why do you buy brand names? Or knock offs of brand names?
Since people are saying that those of us who don't buy brand names are jealous and insecure, let's get back to the original discussion. Why yes? Why brand names? Why is it assumed that this is something people wish they could do? What is the value in it?

Let's try to keep this discussion respectful.

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but honestly I see it as the exact opposite. I think people who are always shopping brand names may (note that I wrote may, not that that's always the case) feel insecure and those who shop what they like and not because it's brand name feel more comfortable in their own skin. What am I missing?
I don't look down at people who wear brand names, but I definitely don't look up to them.

lamplighter

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 11:50 am
The consensus seems to be that brand names are better quality/fit.
I have no tayva for brand names, that doesn't make me better, just it's not my thing.
I am definitely not against buying quality.

Is this really what it boils down to? Why is it so triggering if it's only about better quality? Do our teenagers really care about the better quality?
Are there items that are not brand name that are also quality?

When we see groups of people in brand names are we just seeing communities that care about high quality items?

amother
Melon

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 11:54 am
lamplighter wrote:
The consensus seems to be that brand names are better quality/fit.
I have no tayva for brand names, that doesn't make me better, just it's not my thing.
I am definitely not against buying quality.

Is this really what it boils down to? Why is it so triggering if it's only about better quality? Do our teenagers really care about the better quality?
Are there items that are not brand name that are also quality?

When we see groups of people in brand names are we just seeing communities that care about high quality items?

My grandmother/ parents generation cared about high good quality items and yes the backpacks, luggage even pjs they bought us were all brand names.

I think it’s a mentality and not really a showing off thing

I am like that with some things I can’t always afford to buy brand names so I settle for less but quality is really important to me based on my upbringing. I don’t really care about labels or anyone else’s wearing but I like nice stuff that is made to last and not falling apart after one wash !!

There are plenty of others like me

Cheiny

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 11:57 am
lamplighter wrote:
So let's discuss it.
Why do you buy brand names? Or knock offs of brand names?
Since people are saying that those of us who don't buy brand names are jealous and insecure, let's get back to the original discussion. Why yes? Why brand names? Why is it assumed that this is something people wish they could do? What is the value in it?

Let's try to keep this discussion respectful.

It’s obviously a need to impress others so they’ll be thought of as wealthy and classy, and that need usually stems from low self esteem.

The most affluent people I know don’t flaunt their wealth at all, show off, or feel a need to have designer everything… they feel they have nothing to prove to anyone.

Cheiny

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 11:59 am
amother DarkPurple wrote:
I buy brand names if it’s a certain product they carry that fits my specific needs. Or if it’s known to be very good quality and will last a long time. I don’t buy anything because everyone has it, that’s very boring in my opinion. I also hate low quality so won’t buy junky companies. I never buy knock offs I don’t get the point it just looks desperate to me and serves no purpose since it’s low quality.

There’s a big difference between buying brand names for the purpose of better quality, and buying designer brands when one can easily find a lesser brand that is just as good/pretty/valuable but without the higher price tag.

Cheiny

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 12:02 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:
I'll be 100% honest here. There have been times where I indulged myself and bought the name brand because I wanted to fit in. I know the Mockingbird is a great stroller for $350 but I wanted the UppaBaby...
But that is not the rule for me. I don't live in such a high pressure area bh but I am young so there is automatically more pressure. If something is objectively better quality and worth the price and I can afford it, I will buy it. Otherwise, it's whatever I want or like better. Sometimes that's the name brand, sometimes not.

The pressure you mention is self imposed. It’s not coming from the outside. What would happen if you didn’t give in to the “pressure,” and you didn’t conform to buying the brand names others are wearing? Would they mock you? Not want to be friends with you? Shun you? Who would that reflect badly on, you or them?

So this pressure is coming from inside you. People with healthy self esteem will do what’s right for them without worrying about what people with attitudes think…

amother
Brickred

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 12:03 pm
I like to mix. Expensive bag w logo and SHEIN clothes . It’s all about balance for me. But also how I grew up. Brand name cars, watches

amother
Cappuccino

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 12:28 pm
Honestly, a knock off shoe from Ali express is about $40. A shoe in the local shoe stores will cost close to or even above $200. I have a difficult foot to find shoes for and cannot wear most cheap company shoes. These shoes work great for my foot. So for me it's cheaper to buy the imitations rather than a shoe in the local stores. The fact that it is a "brand name" is not a thing for me.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 1:25 pm
I buy the style I like. If the item is a brand name and within my budget, I'll buy it. If not, I'll get the knockoff brand. I'm not buying the item for the brand, I'm buying it for the style.
If the brand name of an item is better quality, then I would spec buy the brand (depending on the item)

amother
Bluebell

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 1:34 pm
Op this is a billion dollar question way out of the realm of imamother. Humans are funny.

Aurora

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 1:44 pm
I don't usually care about designer or brand. I just try to look for an item that's of good quality at a reasonable price point. And avoid visible branding - why give the company free advertising? Plus, it feels really tacky.

So I care about things like materials, how it was constructed, etc. I wouldn't notice or care about your designer stuff.

There are a few brands I will buy things from, like coats, or shoes, but it isn't designer at all, and they aren't necessarily the expensive ones.

amother
Jasmine

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 1:47 pm
I actually find that when I see a brand name on an article of clothing or a bag it completely turns me off. I think it cheapens the item. Even the Chanel slingbacks everyone is wearing for s/s. I love brands like the row, brunello cucinelli, max Mara, Jil sander.. I find these brands many times don’t have the label all over and they scream rich well made

SuperWify

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 1:47 pm
I have invested in quality designer shoes that are classic as well as belts. Most bought second hand from reputable sources. They are well made and last longer than regular shoes as well as hold my foot better.

Not all designer shoes are, but these brands that I bought are.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 2:22 pm
amother Mauve wrote:
I buy the style I like. If the item is a brand name and within my budget, I'll buy it. If not, I'll get the knockoff brand. I'm not buying the item for the brand, I'm buying it for the style.
If the brand name of an item is better quality, then I would spec buy the brand (depending on the item)

Why are the styles you like brand name styles? You seem to have 2 options. Brand name or knock off, both about style.

amother
Bone

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 3:00 pm
Most often I buy designer specifically because I want quality pieces that will last me forever
Sometimes I buy designer just because I love the item itself, quality or not

I tend to not like logo items and lean towards quiet pieces. But honestly there are a lot of pieces that I have that are very recognizable that I bought because I just liked it or it worked for what I needed

Some designer items I try to stay away from because high price doesnt always equal high quality. Chanel for example, their current bags are literally falling apart at the seams, while Hermes bags for the same price will last for the next century easily

amother
Stoneblue

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 3:06 pm
The ‘quiet’ expensive brands are usually the well made items. The well known ones are not often better quality than top end high street brands.
I remember seeing a YouTube channel where the guy cuts open LV, Chanel etc bags and shows how little quality stuff they actually use to make them and shows how inflated the prices are but the lesser known designer brands are so much better value for money.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics