Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What was in style a few years ago that looks outdated today?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Copper

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 12:21 am
I wear nude tights with black shoes but I'm not stylish.

It's more appropriate in the spring and summer to wear lighter shoes.
Cream/white/tan flats/sneakers...

amother
Viola

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 1:14 am
Can anyone post a link to the denim maxi skirt?

Also, I haven’t yet bought light colored shoes for my 14 year old. (My bad I know). She wants to know if she should wear nude stockings with her black shoes this Shabbos? She is going to be with classmates. (What else? Black stockings?)

amother
  Taupe

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 1:21 am
Why can't we just wear beautiful classic pieces? I don't look old fashioned in my lchaim or vort pictures from 20 years ago. I wore classic pieces that I would still wear today if they fit.
No shells, no shell dresses, no shell skirts, no cap sleeves, no vests, just classic beautiful chiffon and taffeta, with simple elegant timeless designs.

amother
Azalea

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 1:35 am
Longer cardigans are out, short ones are very in either open over print dresses or closed with a skirt. Layered cardigans over tops very very out.

amother
  Periwinkle

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 1:38 am
These fashion rules and never ending limitations make us sound like a cult.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 1:41 am
Wedges

amother
Sand

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 2:37 am
Definitely out: Striped tops with polka dotted skirts, zigzaggy design skirts with striped tops, army boots, rainbow colored anything, and Masks!. Now that everyone agrees on this, just dress in what you usually do, if you're happy with it.

imaima  

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 5:17 am
amother OP wrote:
I do not ask my daughters for their opinion. I don’t need their approval. I just don’t want them to be ashamed. I was not brought up with any sense of style. My mother was just practical and poor, so she was just happy that we had some clothing to wear no matter what it was. Usually hand me downs or cheap things she found when she shopped once in a while out of desperation. Her goal was to find something cheap, not something nice. I’ve come a long way since childhood but dressing nicely doesn’t come natural to me. Yet, I don’t ask my daughters because I am their mother and I have my dignity. And I don’t want to dress like they do anyway. They are teenagers. I’m 50!
I’ll hear them make comments sometimes. Maybe I’m not supposed to hear. Something like - my Chumash teacher has the same top as mommy.., (Chumash teacher is probably almost 70!!!) or so and so’s mother is SO in style- I WISH mommy would dress like that…
The other day I asked my daughter who knows how to sew to fix a top for me with her machine. My younger daughter walked in the room and asked- whose shirt is that? Sewing daughter answered- it’s mommy’s. Younger daughter smiled and said- oh.. nice top mommy. I knew when she said that, the way she said it, she didn’t really think it’s so nice. And she was right! It’s not a nice top at all! But it fits me well and lately my body is so out of shape that nothing fits well and looks good.
So.. no, I’m not asking their opinion but somehow I’m picking up on the vibes anyway.
I’m far from trendy. I just want to look respectable.

This is really mean. You hope you addressed the passive aggressive tone.

imaima  

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 5:26 am
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
Shells are definitely back in a big way this season in Lakewood. I think that what people are referring to when they say shells are out is the short sleeve t-shirt with a shell underneath look. But almost everything in the Jewish Lakewood stores this season needs a shell. Cardigans or knit tops with holes down the sleeve, vests.... everything needs a shell just in a different way then they used to.

Cardigan with a top underneath is not even a „shell look“.
It’s a regular look that everyone wears, Jews und non-Jews alike.
People get so hung up on the word „shell“.
Shells are just slid color plain tops, that can be worn any way possible.
Pairing a long sleeve shell with a random short sleeve top with no rhyme or reason is what’s out, but it was never a „refined style“ anyway.

imaima  

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 5:27 am
writinggirl wrote:
Who remembers when pencil skirts with tunics/short dresses were in? Going back around 15 years… Those are definitely out!

Thank you.

imaima  

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 5:29 am
amother Viola wrote:
Can anyone post a link to the denim maxi skirt?

Also, I haven’t yet bought light colored shoes for my 14 year old. (My bad I know). She wants to know if she should wear nude stockings with her black shoes this Shabbos? She is going to be with classmates. (What else? Black stockings?)

It’s after Pessach, so…

amother
  Dustypink

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 5:54 am
What cardigans are people wearing? I don't see them in Israel at all. Not many vests either. Can anyone link to some examples?

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 7:02 am
I also think the comment on florals is not accurate. Was at a Pesach program and the clientele was definitely stylish. Hundreds of people in attendance and most of the women wore long, flowy floral dresses and looked beautiful. The women who weren't wearing florals were wearing solids in bright colors, but also flowing sleeves and ruffles on the skirts. Daytime wear included long knit skirts (some pleated) and tops, mostly with nicer sneakers, but also loafers, ballet flats, and backless flats.

dena613

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 11:55 am
amother Dustypink wrote:
What cardigans are people wearing? I don't see them in Israel at all. Not many vests either. Can anyone link to some examples?

Will be out of style soon
not classic

https://fameoncentral.com/prod.....59398 over this crew-neck-dress-bone-paisley?variant=44234905125094

Or https://fameoncentral.com/prod.....65254 with https://fameoncentral.com/prod.....75622

Vests like https://yalnewyork.com/texture.....vest/ (winter)

https://fameoncentral.com/coll.....age=2
This is what is trendy this year.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 10:02 pm
Can someone help me out??

I used to wear a white shell with a black top (long sleeved) and colored skirt so that there's a bit of freshness. These days I'm seeing just black on black... is that a style thing??

Same with denim shirt/dress; I noticed so many girls/women with black shells and not white! Someone please enlighten me Smile

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 11:54 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
Off topic, but happy florals are going out, I can’t stand most of them.

Same

amother
  Turquoise  

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 12:11 am
allthingsblue wrote:
Asymmetric hemline is still in style. Pleats are not trendy but they are classic.

These things are subjective and location specific because asymmetrical hemlines are very 5-10 years ago IMO.

amother
Darkblue

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 12:15 am
amother Turquoise wrote:
These things are subjective and location specific because asymmetrical hemlines are very 5-10 years ago IMO.

Amazing because I just wore a new dress to a wedding with an asymmetrical hemline, and 2 other women were wearing the same dress.

imaima

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 2:13 am
amother Darkblue wrote:
Amazing because I just wore a new dress to a wedding with an asymmetrical hemline, and 2 other women were wearing the same dress.

Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

amother
Chestnut

Post Tue, May 21 2024, 4:57 am
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
Can someone help me out??

I used to wear a white shell with a black top (long sleeved) and colored skirt so that there's a bit of freshness. These days I'm seeing just black on black... is that a style thing??

Same with denim shirt/dress; I noticed so many girls/women with black shells and not white! Someone please enlighten me Smile

I would imagine it's because white is not as slimming as black.
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics