Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Floor length skirts?
Previous  1  2

Ruchel  

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 5:04 pm
MovinMom wrote:
I have a question, are people wearing floor legnth skirts for Tznius reasons? Are your shoes not Tznius that you need to cover them? Or is it for fashion reasons, and if so, it is way out of fashion to wear long like that.

It is out of fashion except in Jewish circles.

avigailmiriam  

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 5:12 pm
MovinMom wrote:
I have a question, are people wearing floor legnth skirts for Tznius reasons? Are your shoes not Tznius that you need to cover them? Or is it for fashion reasons, and if so, it is way out of fashion to wear long like that.

Fashions vary a lot by the circles you travel in. I wear denim every weekday because that's what fits in at my workplace. This would never fly in Chassidish circles.

It's not a tznius issue; there are plenty of other groups who are also strict on tznius who do not wear ankle length skirts (I think Rabbi Falk actually issurs them, and he's very strict on tznius). I think that it is largely an MO, and DL in particular (yes, I know they're not exactly comparable), style. I like really long skirts; they look nice on me. And why should fashion matter than much anyway? Shorter skirts make me look even shorter than I already am.

avigailmiriam  

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 5:13 pm
Ruchel wrote:
MovinMom wrote:

It is out of fashion except in Jewish circles.

No, a lot of the "hippe" type students at the university where I work wear them, though they mostly wear gathered, tiered skirts in gauzy material, while I prefer a-line. Long skirts go in and out of fashion in the gentile world.

nicole81

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 5:39 pm
I personally don't like how skirt look when you can see the whole shoe sticking out underneath. to me, it's a bit nerdy looking. but to each their own!

I wear knee length to work since it's much more professional. so I actually don't own any long skirts. but it I were to buy them, they would definitely be nearly floor length.

MovinMom

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 7:02 pm
It is out of fashion in most Jewish circles, Knee length skirts are much more in. And, the college type long skirt look, is bohemian style, not long a line jean skirts sweeping the ground, those are so unflattering. But to each his own, Beauty is in the eye of its beholder.

bandcm

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 7:04 pm
freidasima wrote:
My girls and I wear floor length skirts that cover our shoes.
Yes the just skim the floor
Yes we wash them all the time.
Yes sometimes when outside like the Victorian ladies I hold up the skirt a drop on the side so that it won't touch the sidewalk.
But inside as I sweep the whole house daily, it's clean so it's not a problem.

This is funny to read! I lost a lot of weight so my ankle-legth skirt is now floor-length, and just today, for the first time in my life, I found myself daintily holding up one side of my skirt as I walked down the street. I reminded myself of the Victorian ladies and thought about getting a Sedan chair.

Ruchel  

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 7:05 pm
MovinMom wrote:
It is out of fashion in most Jewish circles, Knee length skirts are much more in. And, the college type long skirt look, is bohemian style, not long a line jean skirts sweeping the ground, those are so unflattering. But to each his own, Beauty is in the eye of its beholder.

I find that in many frummer circles (machmir MO to charedi) the sweeping the ground look is in.
As for unflattering, many disagree. The skirt stopping just above the shoes can be unflattering unless you wear heels, though.

shnitzel

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 8:25 pm
I had one skirt that was very long, a velour stretchy black skirt, one day I was at macy's calmly going down the escalator when suddenly I realize that my skirt is stuck! The escalator ate it. I couldn't tug it out so they had to call security turn off the escalator and then get me to try and pull it out. That didn't work so they had to call maintenance who tried to pull my skirt out with a screwdriver. Still not happening so they turned it on slowly and had me tug while riding on it while they switched it on and off. It finally came out a bit shredded. I got a gift certificate the value of my skirt out of the whole deal. Funny part was they kept critisizing me for wearing a long skirt when coming there - like I thought about the fact that I might go to macy's and my skirt might get stuck in an escalator when I got dressed that morning.
Also the skirt had an elastic waist so I had to keep trying to hold it up the whole time since it was almost falling off

avigailmiriam

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 8:33 pm
MovinMom wrote:

I care about what is in fashion about as much as I care about the price of tea in China. That is, not at all. If it looks good on me and is tznius, I'm wearing it! I look good in those bohemian skirts and sometimes they're the only long skirts I can get in stores.

NativeMom

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 8:40 pm
When I was in high school we had a dress code. The girls had to wear blue black or grey skirts and we all wore those long flowy hard tail skirts. I still have a couple and I think they can still look stylish. I wear mine every once in a while.

lubaussie

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 8:59 pm
zaq wrote:
cassandra wrote:

As my mother used to tell me as she would brush through my mess of curly knots "You have to suffer to be beautiful."

An excellent example of the kind of androcentric, female-enslaving, masochistic pap that was imposed upon and accepted by downtrodden women for generations.

No one should have to suffer. Why can't girls be brought up to accept and appreciate their own looks as G-d made them? Why can't we accept the great diversity of the human appearnace as we accept the diverisity of appearance of plants and animals? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for good grooming, frequent bathing, a regularly applied program of oral hygiene, gentle exercise (for other people!), sensible weight control (ditto), periodic wardrobe replenishment, even judicious makeup for those whose natural coloring causes people to reach for the phone to call 911. But that whole concept--yes, a friend of mine told me that when we were in college--she got it from her mother--that to look good you are not only allowed but are required to suffer--that's gross. medieval. borderline abusive. probably responsible for half the cases of anorexia and three-quarters of the podiatrist visits in this country.

Remember the motto "if it feels good, do it"? Let's change it to "If it doesn't feel good, don't do it!"

So are you the type who doesn't shave, wax or pluck? LOL Wink

hannah95

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 11:23 pm
I love very long skirts. They give me this feeling of being more protected than with one below the knee. I use public transportation for 2 hours everyday to go to work and feel that even with a very basic tznius top, long sleeves, tights and all, the men look at me more when I wear a skirt that is not very long and it makes me unconfortable. I recently ordered some from an add I found here jdenim and was very happy with my order. I find it hard to find them in shops.

H.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 8:18 am
hannah95 wrote:
I love very long skirts. They give me this feeling of being more protected than with one below the knee. I use public transportation for 2 hours everyday to go to work and feel that even with a very basic tznius top, long sleeves, tights and all, the men look at me more when I wear a skirt that is not very long and it makes me unconfortable. I recently ordered some from an add I found here jdenim and was very happy with my order. I find it hard to find them in shops.

H.

For me they're just not findable in shops, because I'm really tall (1m78). Oy for the 2 hours of transportation (métro?). So long, but unfortunately so not rare.
I don't remember if they have the métro where you live or RER or train?

zaq  

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 12:37 pm
Chava wrote:
[Remember the motto "if it feels good, do it"? Let's change it to "If it doesn't feel good, don't do it!"

So are you the type who doesn't shave, wax or pluck? LOL Wink[/quote]

shaving isn't painful.

Chocoholic

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 12:49 pm
During my high school years I always wore ankle-length skirts... I am 1m76 by the way...
I found a lot of them in H&M and also often in those cheap stores in europe owned by immigrants.. not the ones geared at muslimas but more those geared at generic cheap fashion....

I wore those exclusively (I had exactly ONE knee length skirt those years that was actually a present) and always wore long ones.

shopaholic

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 1:52 pm
MovinMom - I agree with you - it IS out of fashion. Knee length is in, but lots of people still wear long skirts, except they stop above the shoes.

Raisin

Post Sat, Dec 06 2008, 1:31 pm
I simply have no idea what is in among frum women. Here everyone is wearing tight jeans! but even the non Jewish shops have plenty of long skirts, as well as knee length.

I think in winter people wear shorter skirts so they can show off their cute boots. Wink

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 10:31 am
Raisin wrote:

I think in winter people wear shorter skirts so they can show off their cute boots. Wink

no wonder some men have no respect for women's brains. only (stupid) women would wear shorter dresses in colder weather.

Fabulous

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 10:36 am
zaq wrote:
Chava wrote:
[Remember the motto "if it feels good, do it"? Let's change it to "If it doesn't feel good, don't do it!"

So are you the type who doesn't shave, wax or pluck? LOL Wink

shaving isn't painful.[/quote]

It's not necessarily painful but for me, the effect is very uncomfortable ( I break out a bit and it is very itchy).

Yet I still do it and wax and wear high heels (which are really uncomfortable) to occasions etc.... It is hard being a woman, but hey I still don't envy men, much harder imo.

Teacup9

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 11:25 am
I love, love, love floor length skirts. I could care less if they are "in" or not, but I certainly don't look out of place in a long denim or long cotton/rayon as I run my errands. If I had a ballgown skirt I would blend in well at a wedding. The longer the skirt the longer I look. Frankly I've never seen an above the shoes long skirt flatter anyone.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics