Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Floor length skirts?
1  2  Next

avigailmiriam  

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 7:03 am
I keep seeing people mention that they wear floor-length skirts, or that DL women wear them.

My question is, what does this mean? My longest skirts just brush the tops of my feet when I'm barefoot. If they actually touched the floor, I imagine that they would get dusty and wear out awfully quickly...

Do floor length skirts actually reach the floor? And if so, how much laundry do you have to do?

zaq  

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 8:41 am
Floor length means it covers your shoes. It's supposed to really be a fraction of an inch above the floor, since you don't want it literally touching the floor. Ankle-length means your whole shoe shows, and is slightly less formal than floor-length. But only slightly.

If you're talking about floor-length denim, that means the balaboste is too lazy to shorten it. Not only does it get filthy, but it wears out quickly. I don't think floor-length denim is much more formal than ankle length.

avigailmiriam  

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 9:23 am
zaq wrote:
Floor length means it covers your shoes. It's supposed to really be a fraction of an inch above the floor, since you don't want it literally touching the floor. Ankle-length means your whole shoe shows, and is slightly less formal than floor-length. But only slightly.

If you're talking about floor-length denim, that means the balaboste is too lazy to shorten it. Not only does it get filthy, but it wears out quickly. I don't think floor-length denim is much more formal than ankle length.

Ah, I see. Thank you.

Chocoholic  

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 9:31 am
In some places eps. Israel young women and teens wear long denim shirts that PURPOSEFULLY "sweep" the floor....

avigailmiriam  

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 9:46 am
Chocoholic wrote:
In some places eps. Israel young women and teens wear long denim shirts that PURPOSEFULLY "sweep" the floor....

That seems like a fast way to wear out an item of clothing...

Fabulous  

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 9:47 am
avigailmiriam wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

They think it's worth it for "style"

cassandra  

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 9:50 am
avigailmiriam wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

Just like wearing high heels is a fast way to wear out your feet? (And harder to replace)

As my mother used to tell me as she would brush through my mess of curly knots "You have to suffer to be beautiful."

Fabulous  

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 9:52 am
cassandra wrote:
avigailmiriam wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

Just like wearing high heels is a fast way to wear out your feet? (And harder to replace)

As my mother used to tell me as she would brush through my mess of curly knots "You have to suffer to be beautiful."

I recently heard about a therapy/surgical procedure to rejuvinate feet worn out by high heels. But it is very $$$ and not guaranteed.

shopaholic  

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 10:28 am
Here it seems to be the style for teenagers & even then, it's fading out. I definitely don't see many married women with skirts on the floor anymore - very out-dated.

zaq  

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 10:32 am
cassandra wrote:

An excellent example of the kind of androcentric, female-enslaving, masochistic pap that was imposed upon and accepted by downtrodden women for generations.

No one should have to suffer. Why can't girls be brought up to accept and appreciate their own looks as G-d made them? Why can't we accept the great diversity of the human appearnace as we accept the diverisity of appearance of plants and animals? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for good grooming, frequent bathing, a regularly applied program of oral hygiene, gentle exercise (for other people!), sensible weight control (ditto), periodic wardrobe replenishment, even judicious makeup for those whose natural coloring causes people to reach for the phone to call 911. But that whole concept--yes, a friend of mine told me that when we were in college--she got it from her mother--that to look good you are not only allowed but are required to suffer--that's gross. medieval. borderline abusive. probably responsible for half the cases of anorexia and three-quarters of the podiatrist visits in this country.

Remember the motto "if it feels good, do it"? Let's change it to "If it doesn't feel good, don't do it!"

zaq  

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 10:34 am
Also, "if it's stupid, don't do it." Skirts that sweep the floor are stupid. And dangerous. I'm glad they're going out of style, if in fact they were ever really in.

mama-star

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 11:20 am
chocoholic, your link leads to a story about a puppy! LOL

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 11:23 am
I'm short, so most of my long skirts hit the floor a bit. I've had them for years! They do need to be washed often because they pick up a lot of dust.

cassandra

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 11:25 am
zaq wrote:
cassandra wrote:

An excellent example of the kind of androcentric, female-enslaving, masochistic pap that was imposed upon and accepted by downtrodden women for generations.

No one should have to suffer. Why can't girls be brought up to accept and appreciate their own looks as G-d made them? Why can't we accept the great diversity of the human appearnace as we accept the diverisity of appearance of plants and animals? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for good grooming, frequent bathing, a regularly applied program of oral hygiene, gentle exercise (for other people!), sensible weight control (ditto), periodic wardrobe replenishment, even judicious makeup for those whose natural coloring causes people to reach for the phone to call 911. But that whole concept--yes, a friend of mine told me that when we were in college--she got it from her mother--that to look good you are not only allowed but are required to suffer--that's gross. medieval. borderline abusive. probably responsible for half the cases of anorexia and three-quarters of the podiatrist visits in this country.

Remember the motto "if it feels good, do it"? Let's change it to "If it doesn't feel good, don't do it!"

The funny thing is that not only do I not subscribe to that philosophy, neither does my mother. And I still find myself saying that to my daughter when I have to brush out her knots.

NativeMom  

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 11:28 am
DefyGravity wrote:
I'm short, so most of my long skirts hit the floor a bit. I've had them for years! They do need to be washed often because they pick up a lot of dust.

There was this one skirt I used to wear all the time that touched the floor and my mom used to thank me in advance ( for sweeping and mopping the floor for her)

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 12:17 pm
I love the floor sweeping denim style. But I'm about an inch or two too tall to get them like that. I hate skirts that are ankle length.

freidasima

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 12:41 pm
My girls and I wear floor length skirts that cover our shoes.
Yes the just skim the floor
Yes we wash them all the time.
Yes sometimes when outside like the Victorian ladies I hold up the skirt a drop on the side so that it won't touch the sidewalk.
But inside as I sweep the whole house daily, it's clean so it's not a problem.

Dandelion1

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 12:46 pm
Yeah, me too-- I think height plays a big role. Back in highschool, I used to find it very hard to find skirts that were long enough, being relatively tall at 5'8". It was either knee length, which I never felt comfortable in, or some dowdy midcalf length that was meant to be ankle length on shorter people. Whenever I found one that was ankle length on me, I grabbed it, whether I liked the color, style or not (kinda crazy, I guess, but those were desperate times LOL ). Now, it is much easier to find tall sizes, but I find it is hard for me to break that "longer the better" mindset.

avigailmiriam  

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 1:08 pm
freidasima wrote:
My girls and I wear floor length skirts that cover our shoes.
Yes the just skim the floor
Yes we wash them all the time.
Yes sometimes when outside like the Victorian ladies I hold up the skirt a drop on the side so that it won't touch the sidewalk.
But inside as I sweep the whole house daily, it's clean so it's not a problem.

My skirts almost all hit the tops of my feet and I do that too! My husband says it looks adorably antiquated. I have to wear shorter skirts for work because super-long skirts and inspecting construction sites go very badly together.

MovinMom  

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 1:56 pm
I have a question, are people wearing floor legnth skirts for Tznius reasons? Are your shoes not Tznius that you need to cover them? Or is it for fashion reasons, and if so, it is way out of fashion to wear long like that.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics