Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Don't know when they are full

amother
OP  

Post Today at 10:24 am
I think one of my kids doesn't know when they are full. They will eat a ton of food they like, sometimes to the point of being sick. I started saying you can have x amount of this foood, that's a portion. Other than that what else can I do? They are preteen and a little bit chubby. Over yom tov they did it a few times to the point of getting sick so I'm getting concerned. How is this dealt with? Is there a way to teach them to recognize full signs? I don't think it's an eating disorder because they were always like this but it seems to have gotten a bit worse lately.

amother
Steelblue

Post Today at 10:26 am
It may be a metabolic issue. I'd get it checked out with an endocrinologist.

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 10:27 am
They already see an endo for another issue. Would this not have come up in all the major testing they did already? I never mentioned the eating issue but we did a ton of extensive bloodwork and tests to rule out a lot of things regarding the other issue.

amother
Seagreen  

Post Today at 12:14 pm
What issue are they being seen for?

What kinds of foods do they overeat?

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 12:15 pm
It’s mostly healthy food they overeat, proteins, fruits, vegetables… don’t want to say the other issue it’s too much info. But nothing food related

amother
  Seagreen

Post Today at 12:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
It’s mostly healthy food they overeat, proteins, fruits, vegetables… don’t want to say the other issue it’s too much info. But nothing food related
Hunger and satiety isn't so much food related, it's usually a gut/brain/hormone issue.

amother
Lightblue

Post Today at 12:19 pm
If your child has a medical condition or issue, it is certainly possible lack of hunger cues can be related. Also if your child is on any medication, that could also affect their cues. I would bring it up with their dr.
Are they aware of their internal cues at other times-do they know when they're tired, can they tell you when they feel hungry, or identify different emotions? You could look into introception (the 8th sense) and how to support a child's understanding of the cues their body gives them.

amother
  OP

Post Today at 12:22 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
If your child has a medical condition or issue, it is certainly possible lack of hunger cues can be related. Also if your child is on any medication, that could also affect their cues. I would bring it up with their dr.
Are they aware of their internal cues at other times-do they know when they're tired, can they tell you when they feel hungry, or identify different emotions? You could look into introception (the 8th sense) and how to support a child's understanding of the cues their body gives them.

Yes they say they are tired, upset, hurt, annoyed etc.. they actually don’t say they are hungry. I’ll see they are in a terrible mood around lunch time on shabbos or Sunday and I’ll ask if they ate breakfast and they say they forgot. It’s the one day I don’t say get dressed and eat fast the bus is coming. I’ll discuss it with the endo at the next appointment.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics