Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
What's the REAL secret to lose weight? tried so many things
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Yesterday at 9:08 pm
Please?? Can anyone tell me?
I'm not willing to go on medication at this point.
I've totally revamped my lifestyle. I eat very clean, only eat in a ten hour window, brisk walking regularly, once or twice a week yoga or low stress weighted workout, drink plenty of water, low carb.
I'm not looking to do anything extreme like keto or IF. I believe in living a balanced lifestyle. I believe there must be an imbalance somewhere. I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and pcos, both of which seem to be in remission at this point bh. But the weight just won't budge.
I literally go crazy when I hear people say they cut out flour and sugar and dropped tons of weight. I've eliminated those things years ago and nothing doing. I'm so frustrated, this literally makes me cry.
Can anyone please please help me? What's the magic secret??

amother
Calendula

Post Yesterday at 9:09 pm
Some people just don't lose weight no matter what they do. I'm one of them. Make peace with it and learn to love yourself as is.
Good thing they don't write our weight on the gravestones.

amother
  OP

Post Yesterday at 9:23 pm
amother Calendula wrote:
Some people just don't lose weight no matter what they do. I'm one of them. Make peace with it and learn to love yourself as is.
Good thing they don't write our weight on the gravestones.
#
Over time, I slowly put on weight. Over a year, I can gain about 8-10 pounds. Even while living this lifestyle. It terrifies me that I can not maintain my weight. I'm not even 40 yet. I don't think I can accept that. I'm over 200 pounds already.

amother
Bluebell

Post Yesterday at 9:24 pm
I went low carb for almost two years...it was so so hard!!
I lost but didn't get to where I really wanted...and I CRAVED carbs LITERALLY!! I would walk into the grocery and just want to eat the danishes- I wouldn't but it was so so hard!! I was craving rice cakes!! anything with carbs!! so it was pretty torturous!
I then went low calorie and thats what worked for me....I got lower than where I got with the low carb and it was MUCH EASIER for me!! I tried to incorporate high fiber carbs like high protein pasta etc but if I wanted a rice cake after dinner, no big deal! I had a rice cake!
I did regain some since that low... (I had a baby, then nursing for a while etc...)
Hoping to do it again now after YT...
I use an online tool called nutritionix so it's super fast and easy to count your daily calories...
according to my height and build, I was eating around 1000 calories a day (but alot more on Shabbos) PLUS exercising (dancing and brisk walking)
now I got very into stationary biking as I can be on my computer while I do that (I bought a recumbent stationary bike)
so I get my exercise in that way...plus I walk alot and still dance...
hope this helps...(some people are not able to do this in a healthy emotional way so please please ignore if so...while I counted calories I am also "chilled" when it comes to events/restaurant eating etc...I enjoy food at those special times, mark it down and move on...I find I can be strict on a day to day, like a regular work Tuesday for instance, knowing that whenever there is a special occasion I just chill and enjoy...that's what worked for me...)

Rappel

Post Yesterday at 10:09 pm
It sounds like your hypothyroidism - or more accurately, a general autoimmune disease - may still be lurking. When you get a blood test, does your body show signs of inflammation/infection?

amother
Hosta

Post Yesterday at 11:45 pm
Maybe more exercise

amother
Hyssop

Post Yesterday at 11:54 pm
Intermittent fasting with exercise.
I used to do low carb and it really worked when I really stuck to it. But it got too hard.
I like Intermittent fasting because you can eat a variety of foods. I don't eat whatever I want, I anyways prefer healthy foods...but it's more forgiving...

amother
Catmint

Post Today at 2:44 am
I think you will start to lose if you make minor changes.

1. Cut back one hour of eating time
2- add another day for exercise -try to make it more brisk
3- drink a lot of water each day

You will definitely stop gaining. Eventually you will start to lose too.
Yom Tov time is very hard for everyone with dieting and it’s also hard to get back into it.

ima22

Post Today at 2:50 am
Try a very knowledgeable nutritionist. Maybe you're not eating enough? Or not eating foods in the right combinations to optimize your blood sugar?

Makehumusnotwar

Post Today at 2:50 am
There is no secret.

The formula for weight loss is calories in, calories out. You need to burn more calories than you consume.

There are various ways to do this. Track your caloric intake using a phone app - I like Chronometer.

Increase your resting metabolic rate by doing strength exercise. This means lifting weights at least 3 x per week. Cardio does not work for weight loss. I personally think that cardio just makes you more hungry.

And no you won't get bulky muscles by lifting weights. Women do not have the genetic or physiological ability to build huge muscles.

amother
Rose  

Post Today at 3:02 am
for loss:
short if window
very low carb/keto
exercise

for maintainance:
larger IF window
moderate low 'n whole carb (ie no sugar, but potato or speltcracker is ok)
movement

amother
  Rose

Post Today at 3:03 am
for loss:
short if window
very low carb/keto
exercise

for maintainance:
larger IF window
moderate low 'n whole carb (ie no sugar, but potato or speltcracker is ok)
movement

GramaNewYork

Post Today at 3:09 am
I don't know the secret but I will tell you what has worked for me. It works better now that I am retired because I can work out FIRST thing in the morning before eating ANYTHING. Aerobic exercise first thing in the morning will speed up your metabolism and will burn off some of YESTERDAY's food rather than starting on today's food (since you haven't eaten yet).

I started with five minutes every morning (not Shabbos) about 15 years ago. Then I went up to seven minutes the next week. And so on. Now I do between 20 to 30 a morning: 5 to 10 minutes of a warmup, 5 to 10 of a workout, and 5 to 10 of a cooldown. The workouts alternate days or weeks with aerobic and weight training. Everything I have comes from YouTube and I only use what I enjoy and what is 10 minutes or less.

I want to be clear that I have no willpower when it comes to junk food especially chocolate, simple carbs, and sugar. I can "be good" for a while if I build up momentum, but there is always something to knock me off my good streak, especially holidays and events. I will do this morning routine for as long as I possibly can because if it wasn't for that and given the bad stuff I often eat, I am sure I would weigh so much. As it is, the bad-carb habit has settled into my tummy blubber, but over all, the daily exercises have kept me in pretty good shape.

Even when I'm "being good" I allow myself a cookie-type treat on Shabbos morning with my coffee. I also go through phases where I will have a square of dark chocolate every afternoon with my afternoon coffee. Those things by themselves would be fine, but once I start with the sugar, it takes all I have to start over again "being good".

To start "being good" (like now, after the chaggim), I don't eat any carbs for three days! I have a slice of cheese with my coffee and then some sort of protein at lunch and dinner (they have very low carb bread now if you need it) and a handful of almonds as a snack if I'm hungry, plus one fruit and vegetables. If I do this for THREE days, it becomes almost natural as if G-d's helping me continue. But then if ANYTHING breaks my momentum, I'm back on the sugar. So I don't dare stop the morning workout routine. Remember, it MUST BE BEFORE EATING ANYTHING.

amother
Butterscotch  

Post Today at 3:24 am
You need to burn more calories than you consume

Muscle burns more calories than fat so build muscle

“Healthy food” doesn’t equal low calorie or dietetic so although dates might be healthy eating 10 a day will make you gain weight

If you burn more than you consume (you burn calories just from existing not just exercise you can Google how much it is for your height weight) and are still not losing weight the only possible explanation is a health condition or medication side effect and should be checked out by dr

amother
Bellflower  

Post Today at 3:46 am
I'm just like you, changed to very healthy lifestyle had hypothyroidism which is better now due to the changes but the weight won't budge.. I'm trying to sleep better and work out more because that's the only thing that I didn't fully work on yet. Hoping it'll make the difference!

amother
  Butterscotch

Post Today at 4:11 am
amother Bellflower wrote:
I'm just like you, changed to very healthy lifestyle had hypothyroidism which is better now due to the changes but the weight won't budge.. I'm trying to sleep better and work out more because that's the only thing that I didn't fully work on yet. Hoping it'll make the difference!

Focus on your hypothyroidism and what can be done for that as well as losing weight being that it can hold you back

amother
Ginger

Post Today at 4:18 am
1. One thing to try is to weigh and track all your calories in an app for 6 weeks. Often, even when your eating clean and small portions your eating more calories than you think you are. The window between “weight loss calories” and “maintenance” is the difference of a half a cup of rice. So it’s really impossible to lose weight for myself unless I track. I have pcos and hypothyroid as well. AIM for 35% protein, 35% carb, 30% fat. Look at Mike Mathew’s formula for calculating macros and target calories for your specific body type. And buy his book thinner leaner stronger. https://legionathletics.com/ma.....ator/

2. Cardio 3x a week for 30-60 min each (walking counts). Heavy weight lifting 3x each. This mix burns calories and builds muscle so that your matabolisim gets faster. Get a coach to teach you heavy weight lifting properly.

3. When one and two are good and you still don’t lose, look at sleep and stress.

4. It takes time. If you’re doing 1-2, count weight loss month to month, not week to week.

amother
Bone

Post Today at 4:34 am
Makehumusnotwar wrote:
There is no secret.

The formula for weight loss is calories in, calories out. You need to burn more calories than you consume.

There are various ways to do this. Track your caloric intake using a phone app - I like Chronometer.

Increase your resting metabolic rate by doing strength exercise. This means lifting weights at least 3 x per week. Cardio does not work for weight loss. I personally think that cardio just makes you more hungry.

And no you won't get bulky muscles by lifting weights. Women do not have the genetic or physiological ability to build huge muscles.

This is SO outdated and inaccurate.
What type of calories you are eating make much more of a difference.

amother
  Bellflower

Post Today at 4:38 am
amother Butterscotch wrote:
Focus on your hypothyroidism and what can be done for that as well as losing weight being that it can hold you back

My hypothyroidism is non existent now BH!

amother
Aubergine

Post Today at 4:53 am
You’re going to get half a billion answers.
For me intermittent fasting really messed me up. I lost but then stopped and couldn’t lose a long time.

I think the secret is finding an eating plan that works for you with a nutritionist. And reviewing and evaluating and tweaking regularly. And sticking to it. And not being discouraged if it doesn’t work right away. Give your body time.
And no cheating. Not even a taste. Ever.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise