Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How to keep your kitchen clean while cooking?!

lovelife7613

Post Wed, Oct 23 2024, 12:19 am
I’m very into keeping my house clean. My family functions best that way. I have a system for laundry and my house is always spik and span. The minute I start cooking for Shabbos or yuntif it looks like a tornado hit my kitchen!! The floors become disgusting there’s food and dishes everywhere. The stove top gets so dirty. No matter what I do it becomes a huge mess!!! I try to clean as I go but it doesn’t really help. It makes me hate cooking for Shabbos and yuntif!

Chana11

Post Wed, Oct 23 2024, 12:30 am
Don't cook too much at once. Try to cook in advance. Just 2 -3 recipes at a time. And wash away when done.

hodeez

Post Wed, Oct 23 2024, 12:34 am
I clean as I go and that works for me. When I'm done the dishes and counters I'll sweep and that will be it

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Oct 23 2024, 1:13 am
Hahaha I love cooking that way, DH is the opposite when he cooks, cleans as he goes and is super on top of all the mess.

zaq  

Post Wed, Oct 23 2024, 8:06 am
1. spread newspapers on the floor to catch all the drips and spatters.
2.spread newspapers on the work surface to catch all the eggshells and vegetable peels, drips and spatters. 3. keep a shmatteh handy and wipe off the spatters on other surfaces as they happen.
4. As soon as you finish using a utensil, rinse it off in the sink and then reuse it or set it aside for more thorough washing later.
5. Or keep a dishpan full of soapy water and slide each utensil in when you're done with it.

IOW clean as you go.

6. Accept the fact that, in order to make omelets, you have to break eggs. In other words, a kitchen (or anything else) in active use can never be as clean as one that is not. Your kitchen can't be Instagram-worthy when you're in the middle of cooking. Live with it.

corolla

Post Wed, Oct 23 2024, 8:19 am
Definitely keep a dishcloth handy to wipe things up.
I love using a garbage bowl for peels. It's so much more convenient than going over to the garbage every time I peel another potato. And at the end, just dump and rinse.

lovingmommy3417

Post Wed, Oct 23 2024, 8:21 am
I clean as I go. Dishes right away, sweep floor periodically. I go nuts if I don't. My dh loves to cook, but is the type to put out every ingredient on the counter, and leave all the dishes til the end. It makes me crazy 🤣

AlwaysCleaning

Post Wed, Oct 23 2024, 9:31 am
Use disposable counter liners
There's disposable measuring cups if you want to reduce more dishes.
Whole the food is in the oven, straighten up the counters, put Ingrediants away etc

Blessing1

Post Wed, Oct 23 2024, 9:33 am
I line the counters with plastic & clean as I cook. I cannot cook in a dirty kitchen.

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 23 2024, 12:05 pm
BTW, if you're aspiring to a pristine kitchen like the cooking show hosts, please understand that they have a cleanup crew silently working off camera, dumping trash, removing used items, wiping down work surfaces and so on, every time the camera zooms in on the host's face or the bowl in which s/he's mixing ingredients. And during commercial breaks, of course.

baked ziti

Post Wed, Oct 23 2024, 12:29 pm
I cover my counter with a trash bag or plastic tablecloth. I peel and crack eggs and do everything messy on it and just throw the whole thing away when I'm done. I keep a shmatta handy and wipe down oil and spice bottles as I pack them away. I rinse and reuse measuring utensils while cooking. That just leaves me with washing dishes and wiping down the gas range when I'm done. I don't find that the floor gets dirty but if I'm working with flour or sugar I do check to make sure it's clean.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics