Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Clothes from local gemachs or thrift shops

tree of life  

Post Mon, Oct 21 2024, 5:20 am
Clothes cost money and even if someone has money and doesn't feel like spending a arm and leg on clothes
Visit your local gemachs or if not Jewish area thrift shops
You can get clothes for cheap no woman should have only one dress or husband a suit that's torn
Or kids shoes that our torn
No embarrassing going In to these shops
I have clothes my kids and grandkids with the latest clothes from these shops .
I'm not going to post anomously if u live in Israel please message me I work in a gemach and it's closed over chag but I will personally open it for someone who needs clothes for chag
If someone is embarrassed through the year I will open it after hrs so you won't meet anyone

amother
Glitter  

Post Mon, Oct 21 2024, 5:30 am
tree of life wrote:
Clothes cost money and even if someone has money and doesn't feel like spending a arm and leg on clothes
Visit your local gemachs or if not Jewish area thrift shops
You can get clothes for cheap no woman should have only one dress or husband a suit that's torn
Or kids shoes that our torn
No embarrassing going In to these shops
I have clothes my kids and grandkids with the latest clothes from these shops .
I'm not going to post anomously if u live in Israel please message me I work in a gemach and it's closed over chag but I will personally open it for someone who needs clothes for chag
If someone is embarrassed through the year I will open it after hrs so you won't meet anyone

This is really amazing!
Just thinking
We have a Gemach nearby and it’s overflowing no room for all the bags of clothes coming in- I wonder if these Gemachs can team up and send more clothes to EY .

tree of life  

Post Mon, Oct 21 2024, 5:32 am
amother Glitter wrote:
This is really amazing!
Just thinking
We have a Gemach nearby and it’s overflowing no room for all the bags of clothes coming in- I wonder if these Gemachs can team up and send more clothes to EY .

I would be happy to receive it in Israel and put it in. The gemach you should see the faces of the mothers when they find gorgeous clothes for chag

amother
  Glitter

Post Mon, Oct 21 2024, 5:53 am
tree of life wrote:
I would be happy to receive it in Israel and put it in. The gemach you should see the faces of the mothers when they find gorgeous clothes for chag

Do you have a e-mail ?

tree of life  

Post Mon, Oct 21 2024, 5:59 am
amother Glitter wrote:
Do you have a e-mail ?

Yes send me a message via my name on this site and I will give it to you

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Oct 21 2024, 7:03 am
amother Glitter wrote:
This is really amazing!
Just thinking

There is definitely a need for clothing gemachim in the USA. There are not enough people who could take care of it , plus a lot of people are ashamed of making use of a clothing gemach. Maybe in Ey is more socially acceptable.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Oct 21 2024, 9:22 am
Here in EY, gemachim are filled with really beautiful things lovingly donated from Brooklyn, Lakewood, London… We really do buy and use the clothes. Thank you!

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Mon, Oct 21 2024, 4:38 pm
I wish I can send my clothes straight to you.
I always find myself with gorgeous clothes that I never wore that I know I won’t wear, often still with the tags.

amother
Garnet

Post Mon, Oct 21 2024, 4:46 pm
I was the poster who has only one dress . We don’t have Gemachim in our area with ladies clothes and the thrift stores only have trashy stuff. I’m also a very good shopper so clothes/ shoes for my little kids I can find very cheap a thrift store is usually not cheaper. For my older ones the thrift shops don’t have anyways

amother
Lightcyan

Post Mon, Oct 21 2024, 4:50 pm
If people can post the best gemachs in each area that would be great.

I went to two in Lakewood. One had all the clothing super squashed against each other and not organized enough. It would probably take a few hours to find something.

Another I just didn’t have any luck in.

amother
Charcoal

Post Mon, Oct 21 2024, 4:51 pm
My big issue is that I don’t have the time to go to a gemach to shop. It’s a lot faster to order online from target even if I get less for my money

chocolate moose  

Post Mon, Oct 21 2024, 5:29 pm
I once got a top from such a place. I wore it, thought I looked nice, and my boss's wife said, oh, how nice you look! I gave a shirt like that away to a chessed shop. I never wore it again. I think it's a good idea to give clothes away to other communities. Why should people be embarrassed?

Another time a gemach got girls dresses in. Tons of sizes. When DD wore it, everyone knew it came from a gemach.

Lastly - once I donated skirts to a girls school in EY. I got a pamphlet some time later with pictures of the girls and I recognized the skirts. Now that was nachas!!!

tree of life

Post Mon, Oct 21 2024, 10:06 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I once got a top from such a place. I wore it, thought I looked nice, and my boss's wife said, oh, how nice you look! I gave a shirt like that away to a chessed shop. I never wore it again. I think it's a good idea to give clothes away to other communities. Why should people be embarrassed?

Another time a gemach got girls dresses in. Tons of sizes. When DD wore it, everyone knew it came from a gemach.

Lastly - once I donated skirts to a girls school in EY. I got a pamphlet some time later with pictures of the girls and I recognized the skirts. Now that was nachas!!!

Your boss wife was in appropriate in my opinion

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 22 2024, 2:27 pm
tree of life wrote:

ummmmm

I hardly know what to say.

amother
Dill

Post Tue, Oct 22 2024, 3:05 pm
tree of life wrote:

It's true she should have said anything, but it can be an awkward situation. A few months ago a client came into work wearing a skirt that I had donated, and I knew it was that exact skirt, because of the way I had shortened it. My mind was so distracted recognising the skirt and feeling a degree of pleasure that someone else was actually enjoying it, and then stopping myself from saying anything that it was quite hard to focus on giving her my full professional attention.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Tue, Oct 22 2024, 3:13 pm
Where I live in EY, it is very socially acceptable! I dont go because they do one day things and the hours are hard for me (my kids all come with me and it gets not cheap really fast Wink abd I have to explain X kid needs A, Y kid needs B, Z kid has an overflowing drawer already... and you have to get there early because it gets picked through.

I did find one thrift store ive done very well at but the hours are also inconvenient.

I get bags from friends and buy some new.

But so many ppl love these one day gemach sales from chul!

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Oct 22 2024, 4:20 pm
I live in LA. We don't have such gemachs here.
There is a kids one but only for real Littles. And tomchei has a sale 2x a year but half the city goes it seems (not just TS families seem to get invited) and it is picked over when my slot comes up. Even with shopping limits per person I never find things in my size or my kids sizes. I am grateful it is there but it is so tough when we are poor.

I wish there was a real tzniyus gemach.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics