Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Do you prefer yom tov or a random Tuesday in January?
1  2  Next

Which do you prefer
Yom Tov  
 60%  [ 64 ]
Random Tuesday in January  
 37%  [ 39 ]
Other  
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 105

amother
OP  

Post Sat, Oct 19 2024, 5:48 pm
I'd love to love yom tov. Can those of you who do teach me the tricks?

amother
Lightpink  

Post Sat, Oct 19 2024, 5:49 pm
In what way?

amother
Petunia

Post Sat, Oct 19 2024, 5:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'd love to love yom tov. Can those of you who do teach me the tricks?

Are you a stay at home mom?

amother
  OP  

Post Sat, Oct 19 2024, 5:50 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
In what way?

Every way. Cooking, serving, entertaining kids or company, etc.

amother
  Lightpink

Post Sat, Oct 19 2024, 5:57 pm
amother OP wrote:

Sorry that didn't explain the question
What aspects of those times are you asking about?

DVOM

Post Sat, Oct 19 2024, 6:00 pm
I love both. I love routine, consistency. I love my job. I love a normal, quiet Tuesday. And I love holidays. I love the time with my husband and kids, the long fancy meals, the conversations, the trips. I love it all.

giftedmom

Post Sat, Oct 19 2024, 6:04 pm
I think it’s about making it work for you, whatever it means. For us it means not stressing about timing and meals and eating what we feel like whenever we feel like. We usually start off with structured meals when the kids are still excited and cooperative but the we let loose a bit on the second and third day.

amother
  OP

Post Sat, Oct 19 2024, 6:05 pm
DVOM wrote:
I love both. I love routine, consistency. I love my job. I love a normal, quiet Tuesday. And I love holidays. I love the time with my husband and kids, the long fancy meals, the conversations, the trips. I love it all.

Wow. I love your positive attitude!

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Sat, Oct 19 2024, 6:05 pm
amother Petunia wrote:

I love this response. I love yom tov so much more since I stopped being a sahm.

amother
Waterlily

Post Sat, Oct 19 2024, 6:16 pm
Yom tov.
Yes the prep is overwhelming and stressful, but once you get there, aaah.

I don't make myself meshuga over menu.

For the 4 meals of the two days of YT we had
2 variations of fish
3 variations of main/meat
One salad, only served at day meals
3 variations of kugels/starchy side
2 variations of cooked veg

Shabbos was shabbos food.

I took my little girls to hallel and hoshanas on the first two days of YT, so we got a taste of shul, watching lulavs being shaken.

Dh doesn't contribute much to conversation so instead of being frustrated and asking for him to say divrei torah, I steered the conversation to be torahdik. I felt like we had nice seudas.

Like today, when the seudah was over I sat in the sukkah with some of older kids and skimmed through koheles and discussed some pesukim, and sang some kohelesdik songs.

Don't get me wrong, the kids fought a LOT, but I tried as best as I could to ignore it and not let it get to me. (yes, I wasn't perfect, but for who I am and my nature, I was amazed at myself.)

amother
Lightgreen  

Post Sat, Oct 19 2024, 7:14 pm
giftedmom wrote:
I think it’s about making it work for you, whatever it means. For us it means not stressing about timing and meals and eating what we feel like whenever we feel like. We usually start off with structured meals when the kids are still excited and cooperative but the we let loose a bit on the second and third day.

It's not true for everyone. I NEED the routine and schedule. Yom tov doesn't have that and can't really be created beyond shul and meals. Way too much downtime for me.
Eta when I think back to covid I did enjoy the layed back time with no one having to BE anywhere but I hated the lack of schedule. We did try to create something but wasn't great

amother
  Lightgreen

Post Sat, Oct 19 2024, 7:16 pm
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
I love this response. I love yom tov so much more since I stopped being a sahm.

Nope. I work full time and do not enjoy yom tov.

amother
Maize

Post Sat, Oct 19 2024, 7:28 pm
amother Petunia wrote:

can you explain this response? I am a stay at home mom and I absolutely love yt! I don’t understand what you are trying to reference and I’m curious

amother
Firebrick

Post Sat, Oct 19 2024, 7:39 pm
Random Tuesday
I’m a sahm for reference
I love the routine and schedule that day to day life gives I struggle even with Shabbos bec bed time and dinner time get moved around depending on sunset they go to sleep before the meal and it still stresses me out a lot. My husband also get cranky easily on yom tov when he’s pushed out of his comfort zone (having guests and being a guest) and doesn’t help with the kids much so I’d rather stick to my schedule and keep my sanity.

DrMom

Post Sat, Oct 19 2024, 8:04 pm
amother OP wrote:

I work outside the home full time, so these things would be difficult on a random Tuesday in January.

Also, I like the weather better on Sukkot.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Sat, Oct 19 2024, 8:40 pm
DVOM wrote:

Same, same.

I look forward to Mondays and the return to routine but I also love Yom Tov and other breaks in schedule. Too much of either can get tiresome which is why I love that there’s Yom Tov and other breaks built into the year every month or so.

Op, I think your answers will be a bit skewed here since you’re asking when we’ve all just had a LOT of YT. Ask the same question on a random Tuesday in January and you’ll likely get very different answers.

Ema of 5

Post Sat, Oct 19 2024, 8:57 pm
amother Lightgreen wrote:
Nope. I work full time and do not enjoy yom tov.

And I’m a stay at home mom, and I love (just about) every minute of Yom tov.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Sat, Oct 19 2024, 9:35 pm
Love yt. I also am blessed to go away for part of it (not a program) I cook and help as much as I can but it's not on my head so muchhh easier for me BH
Ofc it's hard not being in own beds, chasing after the kids to eat cuz schedules are off and bedtime is out the window but for the 1 kid who absolutely needs to keep her sleeping schedule. BH grateful for the family time and yt

amother
Bluebell

Post Sat, Oct 19 2024, 9:37 pm
I think it teaches us to be flexible. Yom Tov is a gift to us from Hashem for our enjoyment. Not to torture us. If we dread it, there's something wrong with us and we need to tweak that by planning in advance. And that is custom made by each person.
Hugs.

HonesttoGod

Post Sat, Oct 19 2024, 9:39 pm
Well considering a random Tuesday in January is mid winter, I usually have SAD, my husbands busy season is January-February, and my busy season is November - February,
I prefer yt.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics