amother
  Maize

Post Yesterday at 3:16 am
amother Pistachio wrote:
Meat on yom tov is not a minhag.
It is Halacha
It does not have to be expensive meat and it only has to be once per a day
To me they are equally important

If it’s Halacha Hashem would make sure everyone has money for it. We don’t have money for meat. I guess we are sinners. Oh wel.

Simple1  

Post Yesterday at 3:37 am
There’s a middle ground here, I buy cheaper cuts of meat including chop meat. For those who say red meat is not healthy - I know this may be controversial, but in moderation, it’s healthier than carbs such as sweet lukshen kugel. When I make chicken on Yom Tov I ended up throwing a lot out because they only like fried shnitzel. Maybe I need better recipes.

Simple1  

Post Yesterday at 3:39 am

Last edited by Simple1 on Tue, Oct 15 2024, 4:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Simple1  

Post Yesterday at 3:40 am
There’s a middle ground here, I buy cheaper cuts of meat including chop meat. For those who say red meat is not healthy - I know this may be controversial, but in moderation, it’s healthier than carbs especially carbs like sweet lukshen kugel. When I make chicken on Yom Tov I ended up throwing a lot out because they only like fried shnitzel. Maybe I need better recipes.

amother
  Pistachio  

Post Yesterday at 4:07 am
amother Maize wrote:
If it’s Halacha Hashem would make sure everyone has money for it. We don’t have money for meat. I guess we are sinners. Oh wel.

People without money can’t afford a lot of things that are mitzvos.( lulav and esrog, wine and matzah for Pesach, even a Sukkah is expensive)
It doesn’t make you a sinner but if definitely means that if I knew you I would give tzedaka.
To me it is equally as important as you being able to have matzah on Pesach when it comes to giving my tzedaka money.
As a side point I don’t find chopped meat to be more expensive than chicken.
My Freind makes meatballs and meatloaf for her meat meals.

notshanarishona

Post Yesterday at 4:21 am
amother Maize wrote:

It’s not a chiyuv for sure. Even those who hold its a mitzvah , don’t hold its an aveirah not to do, just a mitzvah if you do.

amother
  Tangerine

Post Yesterday at 4:32 am
amother Maize wrote:

It’s also a Halacha that it’s a mitzvah to write a Sefer Torah

That doesn’t mean it’s an aveirah if you don’t.

Remember the story of the boy who could only say alef beis and didn’t know how to daven but Hashem accepted his tefillos as pure and perfect? We just have to try our best using the tools we are given.

PinkFridge

Post Yesterday at 5:28 am
Only read pp. 1 and 6.
Pepper steak stretched with lots of vegetables might be cheaper than chicken.

amother
Dahlia  

Post Yesterday at 5:35 am
I don't have time to sift through all these pages, but I would love ideas of chicken recipes that are easy to make but also bakavodik for yt. I find myself buying meat because a simple baked roast takes 3 minutes to prepare and feels like yom tov. But chicken recipes take more time and effort and don't always freeze well. My husband doesn't eat ground beef, he hates it.

I would love to hear what you all make.

Capons went up in price, meat costs about the same so it's off my list as of now. A large brisket ran me close to $30.

I have one chicken on the bone baked recipe that comes out amazing, plus one cutlet recipe. But that's it!
My appetizers are all chicken-based.

What else can I do?

amother
  Cerulean

Post Yesterday at 5:48 am
amother Dahlia wrote:
I don't have time to sift through all these pages, but I would love ideas of chicken recipes that are easy to make but also bakavodik for yt. I find myself buying meat because a simple baked roast takes 3 minutes to prepare and feels like yom tov. But chicken recipes take more time and effort and don't always freeze well. My husband doesn't eat ground beef, he hates it.

Capons went up in price, meat costs about the same so it's off my list as of now. A large brisket ran me close to $30.

I have one chicken on the bone baked recipe that comes out amazing, plus one cutlet recipe. But that's it!

What else can I do?

Someone here posted the idea of kishka stuffed chicken, which I served Rosh Hashana and was a hit. Some other ideas - grilled chicken cutlets, hot poppers, "Mikes" chicken, chicken won tons.

Adding pastrami- which is on sale in many Jewish stores rn - can take the chicken to the next level for relatively low cost. I make chicken/pastrami rollup, I made this last yom tov which was really good:
https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....3141/

Also pastrami knishes, deli roll or Frank's n blanks, meat pizza, stretches out a small amount of meat.

amother
  Pistachio  

Post Yesterday at 5:52 am
amother Dahlia wrote:

What else can I do?

Chicken pastrami roll ups
Lo mein works great with both chicken and beef ( if doing chicken make sure to velvet it in the cornstarch and soy mixture for at least half an hour)
Stir fry ( can do with chicken or use to stretch meat)
I find whole cornish hens more festive than regular chicken on bone.
Chicken Marsala
I like to do a few different types of chicken nuggets with a bunch of dipping sauces ( kids love that)
( beer battered chicken, corn flake, pretzel)
Hot poppers
Sesame chicken

There are also a lot of meat dishes that stretch the meat or are cheaper than a roast.
We do lots of pepper steak
Lo mein
Stir fry
Pulled beef pizza
Beef and broccoli
Beer stew
Flanker and mushroom ( where I live boneless flanken is cheap per a pound)
Salads with meat

I also find that if you start your meal with a lot of dips and salads people have less room for the meat.
When I serve I always bring out the meat last.
That way people have already filled their plates with their sides and less room for the meat.

That being said we always get to pay in either time, effort , or money.
So when we are spending less time I do find I spend more money.

amother
  Dahlia

Post Yesterday at 7:18 am
I hear all of these ideas but most of them are very starchy and high in carbs in order to taste good. A plain braised piece of meat without any sugar, starch, or puff pastry is a lot better for most people in my family.
Yes, I do the grilled chicken and I find chicken steaks on sale, I make stir fry and all that, but a real YT seudah to be made without meats is still a challenge for our dietary needs in order to feel Yom-Tov-dik.

amother
Purple

Post Yesterday at 7:27 am
Am I the only one horrified by the amounts of unhealthy food being consumed by klal yisroel in one week? The amounts of pies, desserts, red meats, chicken cooked in sweet sauces, challahs, pastries, kugels and noodles…. It’s scaring me.

watergirl

Post Yesterday at 7:30 am
amother Purple wrote:
Am I the only one horrified by the amounts of unhealthy food being consumed by klal yisroel in one week? The amounts of pies, desserts, red meats, chicken cooked in sweet sauces, challahs, pastries, kugels and noodles…. It’s scaring me.

Why?

amother
Tealblue

Post Yesterday at 7:36 am
amother Purple wrote:

Everyone will be just fine after a week, don't worry so much

giftedmom

Post Yesterday at 7:39 am
amother Purple wrote:

And here I am terrified of ww3 but hey we each have our fears right?

amother
Eggshell

Post Yesterday at 7:42 am
A baby Kolichel slow cooked even in a Crocker pit makes a delicious pulled beef that’s goes very far and that can be served over mashed potatoes or in spring roll wrappers or mixed in potato kugel batter

amother
Firethorn

Post Yesterday at 7:43 am
Money you spend on yomtov is not accounted for in how much you make for the year. So this doesn’t sound financially helpful…

mha3484

Post Yesterday at 7:43 am
Im not horrified. As I have gotten older I have learned to pace myself more. I fill up on a lot of vegetables and protein but I LOVE potato kugel. Its all about balance. Also I am on my feet a lot with high energy kids. Am I the only one who as I get older cant eat such a heavy meal at night before bed?

Simple1

Post Yesterday at 7:47 am
amother Purple wrote:

I thought red meat in moderation is healthy. Am I wrong?

Lkavod Yom Tov it’s important to have good foods regardless of health, although we try not to go overboard. Our family anyways prefer real foods to desserts.
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics