Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cost of building a 4000 square foot house in lakewood nj
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Moccasin

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 8:27 pm
amother Pear wrote:
I believe she said in the past that she has some issue and can only read caps. so maybe YOU stop yelling?

I’m not that another, but no, common etiquette is to not write in full caps. My fil does this as he is nearly blind and it’s the only way he can read, but if you can read well enough to use an online forum, then there is no need to use all caps.
I actually feel like someone angrily yelled at me.
The mother above was very nicely informing her of her mistake and asking her to stop shouting

amother
NeonPink  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 10:02 pm
I’m in middle of building in lakewood a much larger house 4,000 square feet is very small. Why would you even think it should cost you $2 million. Is the house 4,000 square feet plus a basement or is the basement included in the 4,000 squarer feet?

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 10:19 pm
amother NeonPink wrote:
I’m in middle of building in lakewood a much larger house 4,000 square feet is very small. Why would you even think it should cost you $2 million. Is the house 4,000 square feet plus a basement or is the basement included in the 4,000 squarer feet?

In what world is 4000sqft considered very small?

gdgirl

Post Yesterday at 4:48 am
lakewood world. apparently

amother
Arcticblue

Post Yesterday at 5:00 am
4k isn’t small , it’s a nice decent size. 4k would cost 1 million with no major upgrades. Yes it probably includes nice tiles.Upgrades you have to tell the contractor so he can figure out the number for you.

amother
Gold

Post Yesterday at 5:25 am
amother NeonPink wrote:

I’m so thrilled to live in a world where 4000 square foot home is a vast house.

amother
  Mulberry

Post Yesterday at 5:34 am
4000 sf does not usually include the bsmt.
She's probably calculating it wrong.
4000 is a nice size single home.

lamplighter

Post Yesterday at 5:34 am
4000sq isn't decent, it's large!!

stillnewlywed

Post Yesterday at 6:22 am
1 million for very basic no upgrades
1.5 million with some upgrades
2 million you can do high end finishes

amother
Blush

Post Yesterday at 6:23 am
Yes 4000 sq is big! More than that is McMansion size . We as a society have gone crazy.

amother
Gardenia  

Post Yesterday at 6:26 am
We lived in a 4000 sq ft house growing up and so did many of my friends- except there were four families living in the 4000 sq ft building! People have truly gone completely insane.

amother
  NeonPink

Post Yesterday at 6:43 am
I know someone who just built a 5,000 square foot house in lakewood with all the upgrades including ceiling designs and nice tiles and expensive countertops in the kitchen with expensive appliances and they spent $2 million. So if you want 4,000 and don’t get extra crazy then you can for sure build for $1 million.

amother
Rose

Post Yesterday at 6:47 am
gdgirl wrote:
lakewood world. apparently

I live in Lakewood. My housed is 3400sq ft. It's average-to just a tiny bit above average-in size.

amother
Tomato  

Post Yesterday at 6:53 am
In my Lakewood world majority of my friends and neighbors are in 2500-3500 sq feet. The 3500 are considered very big. Not sure what world she’s in that she’s calling 4000 small. She obviously can’t relate to the average Lakewood person.

amother
  Tomato

Post Yesterday at 6:57 am
amother NeonPink wrote:

Can you just take the Lakewood out? No one in Lakewood thinks 4000 is small!!!! This is how people get skewed impressions of what Lakewood is. Bigger than 4000 is a mansion.

amother
Wandflower  

Post Yesterday at 7:01 am
I have a friend that works in construction, we're looking for houses and have discussed houses that shes ( her office) bulding. 4k sqf is "standard" these days, 6 bedrooms, at least 3 bathrooms ( master, upstairs, downstairs)
Nice size. kitchen, playroom, study, dining room. No, you won't get a large master sitting area, or a huge master bathroom, or the largest master closet that looks like a store...but yes, if you want those with 6 foot wide hallways , you're looking at 5k sqf. I would say maybe splurge on higher ceilings, that makes the room look bigger.
People like hallways these days, I'm trying to buy a house, most older houses you come up the stairs and all the bedrooms are off the small upstairs landing. ( 4 bedrooms)
I have a friend that's looking to build and we've been looking at plans. 4k is a good size.
I would say close to 1million, and that would include a a good buffer for upgrades and change orders.
Regarding an apartment - note *** the rent is not all profit, you need to be able to handle a tenant, and keep in mind - if done cheaply you will see it - leaks, electric that keeps tripping, parking spots, complaints etc...***
We're renting and it's disaster, but we're sucking it up and hope to buy real soon.

ETA - tristate area but NOT LKWD. That's a whole nother world from what I've seen.

amother
Steel  

Post Yesterday at 7:04 am
amother Tomato wrote:
Can you just take the Lakewood out? No one in Lakewood thinks 4000 is small!!!! This is how people get skewed impressions of what Lakewood is. Bigger than 4000 is a mansion.

Maybe she's including attic & basement so it's 2500sf? Still not "very small", but still.

Op, I did a 1500sf extension. No kitchen, 1 bath, 1 bed. And it costed over 250k.
Prices are high.

Best answer would be for you to take your plans or if you don't have them yet at least plans in your head and call around to a few contractors and hear what they say.

Keep in mind that the cost that they're giving you does not include any furniture inside the house, any windows treatments, light fixtures etc- the things that you are going to pay for on your own. So ask them them specifically what they consider basic and upgraded and very upgraded.

amother
Nectarine

Post Yesterday at 7:05 am
amother Wandflower wrote:
I have a friend that works in construction, we're looking for houses and have discussed houses that shes ( her office) bulding. 4k sqf is "standard" these days, 6 bedrooms, at least 3 bathrooms ( master, upstairs, downstairs)
Nice size. kitchen, playroom, study, dining room. No, you won't get a large master sitting area, or a huge master bathroom, or the largest master closet that looks like a store...but yes, if you want those with 6 foot wide hallways , you're looking at 5k sqf. I would say maybe splurge on higher ceilings, that makes the room look bigger.
People like hallways these days, I'm trying to buy a house, most older houses you come up the stairs and all the bedrooms are off the small upstairs landing. ( 4 bedrooms)
I have a friend that's looking to build and we've been looking at plans. 4k is a good size.
I would say close to 1million, and that would include a a good buffer for upgrades and change orders.
Regarding an apartment - note *** the rent is not all profit, you need to be able to handle a tenant, and keep in mind - if done cheaply you will see it - leaks, electric that keeps tripping, parking spots, complaints etc...***
We're renting and it's disaster, but we're sucking it up and hope to buy real soon.

I have a house in the 3’s that has 3 bathrooms upstairs, 1 downstairs, a play room mud room office and a pesach kitchen. You don’t need 4000 to include all that. We do have a narrrow hallway though which I don’t like and a not huge spacious kitchen. BH we are grateful and not looking to move im just saying 4000 square feet is more than basic.

amother
  Wandflower

Post Yesterday at 7:52 am
amother Nectarine wrote:
I have a house in the 3’s that has 3 bathrooms upstairs, 1 downstairs, a play room mud room office and a pesach kitchen. You don’t need 4000 to include all that. We do have a narrrow hallway though which I don’t like and a not huge spacious kitchen. BH we are grateful and not looking to move im just saying 4000 square feet is more than basic.

Not sure how many bedrooms you have, but yea, my point is that you don't need more than 4k. And idk your kitchen size, and if people prefer bigger and wider hallways.. but yea, 4k is enough.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Yesterday at 8:10 am
amother Wandflower wrote:

ETA - tristate area but NOT LKWD. That's a whole nother world from what I've seen.

(I have 6 BR and 3 BA and my house is under 3000 sqft)
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics