Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What does your pre-teen enjoy to do in his spare time?

giftedmom  

Post Yesterday at 7:28 pm
Ideas welcome. Specifically in the crafting/building dept.

amother
Floralwhite  

Post Yesterday at 9:18 pm
This is the season of succas....

amother
Strawberry

Post Yesterday at 9:20 pm
Kvetch that we have a boring house

giftedmom  

Post Yesterday at 9:22 pm
amother Floralwhite wrote:
This is the season of succas....

We have one done and ready to go! And now he’s bored again lol. But he’s so content when in the process of building I’m wondering what I can get him into.

amother
Royalblue

Post Yesterday at 9:25 pm
Draw electrically on the drawing tablet.

amother
  Floralwhite

Post Yesterday at 9:46 pm
giftedmom wrote:
We have one done and ready to go! And now he’s bored again lol. But he’s so content when in the process of building I’m wondering what I can get him into.

Succa business. He can do very well and be very busy

giftedmom  

Post Yesterday at 9:48 pm
amother Floralwhite wrote:
Succa business. He can do very well and be very busy

If you mean building actual sukkahs he’s much too young for that. I thought you meant a model sukkah which he worked on for days.

amother
Diamond

Post Yesterday at 9:53 pm
Amazon has stem wood kits my ds enjoys. Lowes has some wood building kits but they are simple. Kiwi crates has fun building activities too. Can you buy wood peices and let him create his own thing? My ds built a small bookshelf then stained it which kept him busy.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Yesterday at 9:53 pm
my spent a few hours helped an older boy selling 'sets'

giftedmom  

Post Yesterday at 10:24 pm
amother Diamond wrote:
Amazon has stem wood kits my ds enjoys. Lowes has some wood building kits but they are simple. Kiwi crates has fun building activities too. Can you buy wood peices and let him create his own thing? My ds built a small bookshelf then stained it which kept him busy.

He’s too young to build actual wood things. Or is he? I’ll check out Lowe’s thanks.

giftedmom

Post Yesterday at 11:02 pm
He really loves 3D puzzles but he finishes them in a day, they’re 20$ a pop, and I don’t have where to store them. I’d love to get him into a longer term hobby.

sitting

Post Yesterday at 11:10 pm
look at stem modeling kits

amother
Steelblue

Post Yesterday at 11:11 pm
giftedmom wrote:
He really loves 3D puzzles but he finishes them in a day, they’re 20$ a pop, and I don’t have where to store them. I’d love to get him into a longer term hobby.

How old is he? Two of my boys were always super handy building things, painting their rooms etc.

SingALong

Post Yesterday at 11:16 pm
My sons love building these 3d scenes, I buy a fish tank for the “stage” they make a whole miniature of a theme, like ds made a wedding, with the band and all, other ds made a field with sheep, had some pasuk connected to it. I get the supplies from hobby lobby. It’s not cheap but $100 of supplies keeps him busy for at least a month. They’ll also build it together with friends.

Music lessons

Lego

amother
DarkOrange

Post Yesterday at 11:17 pm
If he's responsible, you can totally let him work with real wood. Planning, cutting, assembly, sanding, painting...all part of the process. Perhaps he can start with small useful things like building a table shtender.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Today at 3:41 am
Interested in following this topic as well.
What age OP? I have a handy 10 year old but live in an apartment. No room for lots of projects or kits.

I did not like kiwi crates. Fun for half an hour or maybe an hour. Then junk that sits around, maybe they play with it once or twice after. And it breaks... Such a waste of money.

No space to give him a workplace. But if I ever need ikea furniture built, we do it together. Cant do it alone but tries. Absolutely fun for him. Sometimes I consider buying something just to give him something to do. But then I realize I will be stuck with furniture I dont have space for so I stop myself.

Open to ideas! Would love something they can keep using and won't break. We do a lot of lego but I find he needs a friend to do it with.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children