Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Help me with the food

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 11:02 am
for rosh hashana I made the food in advance and I just didn't think it tasted so good so I want to try to do differently this time. does anyone have a broken down plan of how they cook so that it tastes fresh. if I would prep and then freeze I would have to defrost in order to prep and then refreeze.

I also am curious how do you clean pots on y"t. I thought you aren't supposed to prepared for the next day.

my kitchen is a mess on y"t anyway but I don't want to make it worse by doing prep on y"t and I also don't want to have it hanging over my head that I need to make sure to cook on y"t so if somehow I could prep in advance and then cook on y"t that would be idea.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 11:47 am
I make my menu based off of what freezes well.

Yes, that does mean I freeze, defrost, and heat.

Then I allow myself just a few items that need to be made fresh erev YT, but only a few and those items needs to be prepared and in the fridge the day before, so they're ready to roast on erev.

Why not list your menu, and then we'll let you know what can be frozen ahead of time?

Cheiny

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 12:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
for rosh hashana I made the food in advance and I just didn't think it tasted so good so I want to try to do differently this time. does anyone have a broken down plan of how they cook so that it tastes fresh. if I would prep and then freeze I would have to defrost in order to prep and then refreeze.

I also am curious how do you clean pots on y"t. I thought you aren't supposed to prepared for the next day.

my kitchen is a mess on y"t anyway but I don't want to make it worse by doing prep on y"t and I also don't want to have it hanging over my head that I need to make sure to cook on y"t so if somehow I could prep in advance and then cook on y"t that would be idea.

Most items freeze well, but chicken does not. Is that what you made that didn’t taste good reheated? Soups, meat dishes, most sides, kugels, etc., do freeze well.

amother
Peony

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 1:40 pm
definitely make half the menu things that freeze well.
this seems to be differing in opinion though.

here's what I freeze for yt and find re heats fine.

all cakes and cookies, mouse cups or apple bakes.
chicken poppers
deli roll
meat pastries
knishes
a few hot veg like tsimmes and green beans in sauce, zucchini in sauce.
I freeze all kugals

I don't freeze roast chicken, or grilled I make that erev.
if I could afford meat this year I would make ahead and freeze, brisket in sauce , salt beef slices.

I don't freeze chicken soup just as its not Practical for me but I do freeze lockshon and kneidalach

so fresh is just fish (mostly baked salmon so super easy) and salads
chicken soup, farfelle or rice
roast chicken or grilled or whatever....and that's really it.

I try make salad dressings bf yt and if salads include lots of checked veg I do bf like broccoli, or I will slice the cabbage etc ....so salad making is easier. I try not to make salads that take ages or cost a ton

hope this helps.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen