Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Exposed Wires- Is it safe?

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 1:17 pm
dh is not very handy so I dont want to say anything unless its unsafe.
Is it safe to have an extention cord (the outlet part) hanging outside the sukkah for the lights? What happens if it rains, we have no shlak.
Thanks

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 1:20 pm
You need to have specific waterproof/outdoor extension cords & lighting.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 1:20 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
You need to have specific waterproof/outdoor extension cords & lighting.

thought so... I gotta check than
thanks!

Molly Weasley  

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 1:21 pm
Nothing to worry about. The water doesn't conduct electricity well, and the wires themselves are very very protected.

If you're worried, buy an outdoor, waterproof extension cord, with a protected cover. Otherwise, just wrap the connectors with electric tape.

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 1:22 pm
Molly Weasley wrote:
Nothing to worry about. The water doesn't conduct electricity well, and the wires themselves are very very protected.

If you're worried, buy an outdoor, waterproof extension cord, with a protected cover. Otherwise, just wrap the connectors with electric tape.

tysm!

amother
Springgreen

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 3:51 pm
Molly Weasley wrote:

. Sorry, Molly, as a safety inspector I must disagree. Only electrical elements specifically approved for damp/wet/outdoor locations should be used in a sukkah. " Water and electricity don't mix" means they are a dangerous combo, not that they're harmless when mixed. Extension cords made specifically for outdoor use are sold in hardware stores. And even then, one must inspect them before every use to make sure the insulation hasn't melted, cracked, oxidized, crumbled or been run over by a lawnmower and sheared off.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 3:53 pm
They make ones for outdoor that are weather proof. You need that type.

amother
Dahlia

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 4:45 pm
We use this to cover the plugs

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....title

Molly Weasley

Post Mon, Oct 14 2024, 4:59 pm
amother Springgreen wrote:
. Sorry, Molly, as a safety inspector I must disagree. Only electrical elements specifically approved for damp/wet/outdoor locations should be used in a sukkah. " Water and electricity don't mix" means they are a dangerous combo, not that they're harmless when mixed. Extension cords made specifically for outdoor use are sold in hardware stores. And even then, one must inspect them before every use to make sure the insulation hasn't melted, cracked, oxidized, crumbled or been run over by a lawnmower and sheared off.

I'm just sharing what I learned in science class. It's true that water and electricity don’t mix, but rainwater doesn’t conduct electricity very effectively, it's basically like distilled water. Electricity tends to follow the path of least resistance, and the electrical line is more conductive, so it stays there.

Also, rainwater isn't grounded. So unless the wire is literally in a pool of water, shouldn't be an issue.

I'll obviously have to defer to your expertise. Cool job BTW!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics