Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Don't the kollel men have off during the day now?!
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP  

Post Yesterday at 10:52 am
My neighbour has been banging away at his sukka. The other night it was past 10pm. Now it's earlier at 7pm but my dh is trying to put my exhausted toddler to bed and this neighbour from 2 doors away is banging away.
My yeshiva boys are off now, and so are these men! They need to do the banging during the day, they can learn at night.
Makes me mad.

amother
Mauve

Post Yesterday at 10:54 am
I find it’s useful to have a sound machine for instances like this one. It doesn’t block out all the noise but it creates a white constant sound that can pull a kid to sleep.

amother
Chartreuse  

Post Yesterday at 10:55 am
Maybe he was busy with other things during the day?
Still, past 10 PM isn't very polite. Would you or your dh feel comfortable asking for quiet past 9 or so?

I really feel with you, my downstairs neighbor built themselves a porch last week and the banging was from 8 AM till 6 PM.

amother
Crystal

Post Yesterday at 10:56 am
Embrace it as Yom tov sounds
Or be,miserable

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 10:56 am
amother Chartreuse wrote:
Maybe he was busy with other things during the day?
Still, past 10 PM isn't very polite. Would you or your dh feel comfortable asking for quiet past 9 or so?

Maybe he should prioritise the sukka over the other things and quit disturbing the neighbours!

They're literally off for this very reason!
My Dh works up until a couple of hours before the zman and he somehow manages all his jobs.

amother
Charcoal

Post Yesterday at 10:57 am
Sorry but there should be some respect. Build during the day or at least before 8pm. Some of us have to work this week and be up at 6am. Having banging going on at 10pm is just not ok.

amother
  Chartreuse

Post Yesterday at 10:57 am
amother OP wrote:
Maybe he should prioritise the sukka over the other things and quit disturbing the neighbours!

Yeah, that's not how life works. He might be wrong but you can't be so rigid.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 10:58 am
amother Crystal wrote:
Embrace it as Yom tov sounds
Or be,miserable

Why does it have to be one or the other? I'll gladly hear the yom tov sounds during the day.
People need to be more considerate of others!!

amother
DarkOrange

Post Yesterday at 10:59 am
I had a neighbor banging away at 11pm. I feel like us fellow yidden can understand but I have non jewish neighbors and I kept thinking about the chillul H. People are so clueless.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 11:02 am
amother DarkOrange wrote:
I had a neighbor banging away at 11pm. I feel like us fellow yidden can understand but I have non jewish neighbors and I kept thinking about the chillul H. People are so clueless.

Exactly! They need to be considerate of everyone around them. We are amongst non Jews here as well, and especially now we need to try not to make a noise (mind the pun) we need to lie low!

amother
Papayawhip  

Post Yesterday at 11:02 am
If the banging came from a neighbor who worked ft and didn't come home until 7 every evening, would it be less disruptive or annoying?
My husband is out of the house from 8am-7pm every day including Sunday (to work instead of all the Yom Tov days off).
He comes home, eats quickly, and builds from 7:30-10. Stops at 10.

But his banging would keep your child awake just as much as the kollel man banging at 9. No?

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 11:04 am
amother Charcoal wrote:
Sorry but there should be some respect. Build during the day or at least before 8pm. Some of us have to work this week and be up at 6am. Having banging going on at 10pm is just not ok.

Right. They're such nice people I'm surprised that they're banging late tbh. It's not like them at all.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 11:07 am
amother Papayawhip wrote:
If the banging came from a neighbor who worked ft and didn't come home until 7 every evening, would it be less disruptive or annoying?
My husband is out of the house from 8am-7pm every day including Sunday (to work instead of all the Yom Tov days off).
He comes home, eats quickly, and builds from 7:30-10. Stops at 10.

But his banging would keep your child awake just as much as the kollel man banging at 9. No?

Oy that's tough. I didn't think of that , that's a crazy schedule. I think I'd ask for a day off work actually. What if he's sick Chas vesholom? This is a mitzvah but you really don't want to turn it into a Chilul Hashem. Maybe it's a question for your Rav. I wouldn't feel comfortable with my dh banging that late. I'm sorry for you.

amother
Sand

Post Yesterday at 11:07 am
amother OP wrote:
Right. They're such nice people I'm surprised that they're banging late tbh. It's not like them at all.

Since you said that maybe try to be DLKZ.

1. They simply have NO IDEA that this bothered you and if you tell them they'll stop ASAP.
2. Something important came up and this is their only time to build it.

Also, just for the record all my little kids are home today and I work full time so DH is watching them while I work. He can do many other jobs with the kids but not building the sukkah because it's dangerous for them to be around.

amother
Jasmine  

Post Yesterday at 11:10 am
amother OP wrote:
Oy that's tough. I didn't think of that , that's a crazy schedule. I think I'd ask for a day off work actually. What if he's sick Chas vesholom? This is a mitzvah but you really don't want to turn it into a Chilul Hashem. Maybe it's a question for your Rav. I wouldn't feel comfortable with my dh banging that late. I'm sorry for you.

Ask for a day off to build the sukka?? In what universe do you live in that you think this is a normal thing to do? I guess you & your husband don't work??
I know it's very frustrating when the kids can't fall asleep, but this is part of living in a frum community. There will be noise erev yom tov.
Try using a noise machine on a loud setting.

amother
  Papayawhip

Post Yesterday at 11:13 am
amother OP wrote:

In many places, it's perfectly ok to make noise, do such construction until 9:30 or 10 at night.
We follow the rules of our place.

And especially a year like this year where Yom Tov takes off so many days, it's not possible to ask for more days off.

Just in 2024, 4 days for Pesach, 2 for Shavuos, 1 for Tisha Bav, 6 for Yomim Tovim. That's 13 not counting days like erev Yom Kippur, Hoshana Raba, etc.
It's not possible to take days off to build the sukka.
We do the best we can within the rules and laws of the area.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Yesterday at 11:14 am
amother OP wrote:

Not everyone can afford to take an extra day off this month. I work for a non Jewish company and they are having a hard time that I am taking off so many days this month.

We have built the succah right after Yom Kippur, as long as it took. Bh my boys are big and they do it during the day

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 11:28 am
amother Jasmine wrote:
Ask for a day off to build the sukka?? In what universe do you live in that you think this is a normal thing to do? I guess you & your husband don't work??
I know it's very frustrating when the kids can't fall asleep, but this is part of living in a frum community. There will be noise erev yom tov.
Try using a noise machine on a loud setting.

We both work but we're both our own boss BH.

amother
  Jasmine

Post Yesterday at 11:30 am
amother OP wrote:
We both work but we're both our own boss BH.

Then please understand that you have a luxury that many employees don't have.
Taking a day off to build the sukka, is an insane expectation & impossible for many.

Chayalle

Post Yesterday at 11:38 am
amother OP wrote:
My neighbour has been banging away at his sukka. The other night it was past 10pm. Now it's earlier at 7pm but my dh is trying to put my exhausted toddler to bed and this neighbour from 2 doors away is banging away.
My yeshiva boys are off now, and so are these men! They need to do the banging during the day, they can learn at night.
Makes me mad.

I do think after 10 is rude and should not be done, but 7 pm is a reasonable time to put up a Succah. Maybe now is when his kids can help (they may be in school during the day), etc....I know we put up our Succah around 6-8 pm which is what worked for us. It's not all Kollel/learning vs. Putting up Succah, there are other variables as well.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics