Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
White tichel
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 12:37 pm
If you live in Brooklyn, do you wear just a white tichel and NO sheitel to shul on Rosh Hashana? What about y Kippur?
If yes, what Jewish sect do you belong to?

amother
Daisy

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 12:40 pm
I know that satmar people do and some other chassidus do as well.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 12:52 pm
amother Daisy wrote:
I know that satmar people do and some other chassidus do as well.

Is it a rule that the shul has? Or is it a minhag for some no matter which shul they attend? And whoever wears it do they all do it for both Rosh Hashana AND YK?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 1:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is it a rule that the shul has? Or is it a minhag for some no matter which shul they attend? And whoever wears it do they all do it for both Rosh Hashana AND YK?

I think it's a rule that Satmar shul has. In addition, some others have a personal minhag. Probably for both Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur

Arep

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 1:09 pm
Satmar. Minhag is for both rh and yk. Officially only in satmar shuls (where you wont find a single sheitel.) But many wear it to whichever shul they daven at.

cnc

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 1:09 pm
amother OP wrote:

Satmar shul does not allow sheitels in Shul RH and YK. Probably from that, it became a sort of minhag - even if s/o that is Satmar will Daven elsewhere, they will not wear a wig.

amother
NeonOrange  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 1:12 pm
My family has minhag not to wear on yk. Nothing to do with the shul we daven in.
I know Satmar and Belz have this minhag and then there are ppl that have this minhag passed down in their families

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 1:36 pm
So if you would see a Satmar woman daven in a different shul, for example Pupa, not wearing a plain tichels, would it look strange? Trying to understand if it's a minhag to all Satmars or really more of a rule in Satmar shul.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 1:37 pm
It is a real minhag with a source or just people having been doing it for a few generations and we call it a minhag?

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 1:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
So if you would see a Satmar woman daven in a different shul, for example Pupa, not wearing a plain tichels, would it look strange? Trying to understand if it's a minhag to all Satmars or really more of a rule in Satmar shul.

It would not look strange for a satmar woman to be wearing a shaitel in another shul.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 1:42 pm
amother OP wrote:

Pupa shul doesn't allow sheitels either. And regarding satmar there r some that don't wear no matter where they daven and there r some that only don't wear if and when they daven in a satmar shul.

amother
DarkRed

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 3:16 pm
I’ve seen women in my shul (not a specific chassidus we have all kinds ) wearing a white tichel with a sheitel on rosh hashana and no sheitel Yom Kippur (just the tichel) so I assume there’s different kinds of minhagim

flowerpower

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 3:18 pm
It’s not my minhag. But I have to say thanks for being respectful when asking and responding! Many times I have seen that if it’s not your minhag or if you never heard of it people mock it

amother
Gladiolus

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 3:22 pm
Satmar Rebbe had rule in his shul that you can't wear wig on RH and YC. Stayed this way till today. No sheitel in Satmar Shuls RH and YC. Satmar people davening in other shuls, will either wear sheitel or not.

tweety1  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 3:35 pm
I wear my sheitel r"h because my mother does. My mil doesn't wear one r"h and y"k no matter which shul. Y"k my mother doesn't either wear her sheitel no matter which shul. Even if she stays home y"k she doesn't wear her sheitel

amother
  NeonOrange

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 5:35 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
It is a real minhag with a source or just people having been doing it for a few generations and we call it a minhag?

It can be called a hanhaga. Something that has been passed down mother to daughter or through a rebbe/moreh derech.
Compare to families Minhagim on pesach… Everyone has different ways of doing things in yiddishkeit.

tf  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 9:47 pm
notshanarishona wrote:

Satmar Rebbe implemented it for all of his chassidim as a minhag AND in all satmar Butei medrushim. That's the source. However, women who do whatever they want elsewhere, won't keep this either.

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 10:42 pm
tf wrote:
Satmar Rebbe implemented it for all of his chassidim as a minhag AND in all satmar Butei medrushim. That's the source. However, women who do whatever they want elsewhere, won't keep this either.

How do you know this? Others on this thread didn't seem to see it that way

tf  

Post Yesterday at 5:11 am
amother OP wrote:
How do you know this? Others on this thread didn't seem to see it that way

I remember this from way back when...

tweety1

Post Yesterday at 6:08 am
tf wrote:

What?? We have no connection to satmar whatsoever; especially from dh side.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur