Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
BTL and degree options

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 3:16 am
My husband has a BTL from his years in an Israeli yeshiva from 10+ years ago. (In other words, he has a transcript showing 120 credits for "bachelor in Talmudic letters". ) To better his career options, he's now looking into completing a degree in the computer/IT/business field. He already also has about 15-18 bachelor level computer credits from a US college from 4-5 years ago. Any ideas for the quickest/cheapest way to complete this degree?

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 3:48 am
amother OP wrote:
My husband has a BTL from his years in an Israeli yeshiva from 10+ years ago. (In other words, he has a transcript showing 120 credits for "bachelor in Talmudic letters". ) To better his career options, he's now looking into completing a degree in the computer/IT/business field. He already also has about 15-18 bachelor level computer credits from a US college from 4-5 years ago. Any ideas for the quickest/cheapest way to complete this degree?

I don't know about America, but in Israel I think credits expire after seven years if you haven't completed the degree. So he may nor be able to count on that.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 8:40 am
Anyone?

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 8:45 am
amother OP wrote:
Anyone?

Try University of Maryland Global Campus

amother
Broom

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 8:48 am
I would try calling the Jewish men’s colleges to see what options they could offer you.

Or speak to ppl from ner yisroel bec many get BTL.

There is a lot you can do with them. Even medical school

Molly Weasley  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 8:52 am
For the record, I think the actual abbreviation is Bachelors of talmudic law.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik.....c_Law

amother
Molasses

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 8:55 am
You havn't said where you are now.

There are several programs that accept a liberal amount of transfer credits, such as Thomas Edison State College, Charter Oak in Connecticut, NY state Boars of Regents. They have many remote options.

Depends if he wants to get a degree in computers or just a job. Not every place will require the second degree.

(Also depends if his degree was connected to a US recognized school.)

If in US, look into PCS (from Agudah). They may offer a Masters in Computers with a few pre-requisites beyond the BTL. They can certainly offer guidance.

Hashem_Yaazor  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 9:33 am
I don't know much but it does matter what accreditation the institution issuing the BTL has.
My husband has a BTL (actually MTL) from a nationally accredited institution but his law school wanted regional and he had to apply for a waiver for it to be accepted.
Using one from Israel is probably even harder and it might be necessary to try to get it transferred to an American one, although if he's only going for undergrad, it's probably the same difference.

Molly Weasley

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 9:34 am
Was the school credentialed by AArts?

Mommyg8  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 9:38 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I don't know much but it does matter what accreditation the institution issuing the BTL has.
My husband has a BTL (actually MTL) from a nationally accredited institution but his law school wanted regional and he had to apply for a waiver for it to be accepted.
Using one from Israel is probably even harder and it might be necessary to try to get it transferred to an American one, although if he's only going for undergrad, it's probably the same difference.

The BTL is not a regionally accredited degree, and is therefore not accepted universally, (regular college degrees are generally regionally accredited).

There might be very little in the way of credits that can be transferred to another bachelor's program, as most degrees have specific courses that you need to take and the BTL courses won't cover that.

Its probably easier to try to get into a master's program using the BTL, as Hashem_yaazor said.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 9:40 am
Molly Weasley wrote:
Was the school credentialed by AArts?

I'm pretty sure all BTL's were arranged by AARTS.

Tiredmom3

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 9:43 am
Bellevue University takes it through their yiep program. https://theyiep.com/new/

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 9:46 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
The BTL is not a regionally accredited degree, and is therefore not accepted universally, (regular college degrees are generally regionally accredited).

There might be very little in the way of credits that can be transferred to another bachelor's program, as most degrees have specific courses that you need to take and the BTL courses won't cover that.

Its probably easier to try to get into a master's program using the BTL, as Hashem_yaazor said.

Perhaps if the BTL is from an Israeli institution though, things are different. If it's worse, it could be somewhere like Ner Yisroel can transfer to their BTL, and then take it from there as an American BTL.
I don't know.

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 11:55 am
Thanks for the suggestions.
Tangent question: Any thoughts on if a degree is worthwhile vs. specific training courses/certificates?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics