Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
PSA: UGGS ARE LEATHER
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

a2z

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 12:01 am
amother Forestgreen wrote:
I don't think leather clothing is a problem, I think just leather shoes.

You can be totally clothed with leather except for shoes.
Shoes are the only problem.

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 12:15 am
amother PlumPink wrote:
it says sheepskin which I assume is the furry part (collar and lining) is sheepskin leather? In that case any wool sweater can also be problematic? I thought leather is a highly refined part of the skin not a hairy material

The furry part alone is called wool. If it says sheepskin, that means it is the sheep's skin with the original hair/wool still attached to it. To my best knowledge, any processed animal skin tissue in a shoe is leather, for YK purposes, whether it is highly refined and smooth or processed with the hair still on.

watergirl  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 5:21 am
My approach to the five restrictions on Yom Kippur - just like we would never put food in our mouths without making sure it has a hechsher, Similar to the manner and which people avoid vinegar on RH And read ingredient lists, similar to people’s approach for gebroks on Pesach etc, we must check the label on all shoes. If you can’t decipher if the shoes are acceptable based on the label, either don’t wear them or investigate further.

With leather shoes, we can’t assume, we have to be just as careful as with the other restrictions. It means simply asking a competent rav and moving forward, knowing the halacha and it’s practical application.

Ex - for years I did not use deodorant on YK, assuming it was prohibited along the lines of anointing. Finally, we asked our Rabbi who said that spray deodorant is acceptable every day of the year. Game changer for me!

This is where everyone gets to become a baal teshuva! Learn, make changes, move forward!

Simple1  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 5:24 am
My girls have fake Uggs slippers that look real. It’s possible those are not leather, but they wore other foot wear on Yom Kippur.

amother
Mocha  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 5:26 am
Simple1 wrote:
My girls have fake Uggs slippers that look real. It’s possible those are not leather, but they wore other foot wear on Yom Kippur.

I have fake ugg slippers also. They are still suede and leather.

LovesHashem  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 5:35 am
It's one of those things people forget about.

I have fake uggs and never thought to look up what's in them....wow.

But I check lots of stuff for shatnez, people are surprised when I mention it, I've gotten things for my kids at Zara and h and m with wool or linen, and in frum stores too. I've bought things for myself and have had them checked.

Most people don't even check the tags of their clothing, for men it's widely known but women and kids? Nah

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 5:36 am
There are symbols on the shoe, sometimes it is a sticker on the bottom and sometimes it is on the bottom or inner side. Often on the box as well. This is the cheat sheet
https://I.imgur.com/xg2kWSM.jpeg[/img]

amother
  Freesia

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 6:12 am
amother PlumPink wrote:
it says sheepskin which I assume is the furry part (collar and lining) is sheepskin leather? In that case any wool sweater can also be problematic? I thought leather is a highly refined part of the skin not a hairy material

Sheepskin is not how they describe the wool. Sheepskin is a leathery skin used to make outerwear and shoes.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 6:23 am
Hello all you non aussies
Did you know that in Australia, where UGG shoes were born, it's actually a type of shoe. Much like sneakers, boots, etc. it's not a brand name here.
There are different types of brands that sell UGGs here. Just like different brands have sneakers.
As such there are non leather brands too but considering UGGs are traditionally sheepskin I'd consider those at least to be fake.

https://uggaustraliaclassic.co.....gcifw

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 6:49 am
amother PlumPink wrote:

Sheepskin is leather. Sheepskin is not the fur, it's the skin. The fur & skin of animals are 2 different things.

amother
Bergamot

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 7:17 am
Ugh so sad. I wish I saw this before y”k. I wore my uggs all day

amother
Bubblegum  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 8:42 am
I’m so surprised that people don’t realize suede is leather! If I saw someone wearing uggs I’d just assume they were fake. Good call OP to announce it, it wouldn’t even dawn on me.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 8:49 am
amother Bubblegum wrote:
I’m so surprised that people don’t realize suede is leather! If I saw someone wearing uggs I’d just assume they were fake. Good call OP to announce it, it wouldn’t even dawn on me.

I find this thread absolutely shocking as well.

amother
  Bubblegum  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 8:52 am
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
I find this thread absolutely shocking as well.

Yea, I've been following since yesterday and couldn’t comment because I was so shocked and didn’t want to write something mean. This was the nicest way I could think of putting it.

watergirl  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 10:44 am
To all those who wore uggs/leather shoes on YK, would you have preferred that somebody would pull you over and say something quietly to you so you’d know? I did not see anybody wearing UGGs or leather shoes, but I’m wondering why nobody said anything to anyone yesterday.

OP, you said that you saw many people wearing UGGs, you didn’t tell anybody?

Hashem_Yaazor  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 10:54 am
I think part of the problem is that we grew up hearing to wear slippers on YK.
My 14 yo put on her Ugg slippers after seudas hamafsekes and I'm so happy I noticed before she left for shul. She said she did look on it and it didn't say leather on it, so I explained what suede was. She was able to change before it was YK.

Notsobusy  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 10:56 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
My 14 yo put on her Ugg slippers after seudas hamafsekes and I'm so happy I noticed before she left for shul. She said she did look on it and it didn't say leather on it, so I explained what suede was. She was able to change before it was YK.

We grew up wearing sneakers or slippers. We also always checked before yom Kippur to make sure that what we were planning to wear didn't have any leather. I'm confused about all the people who don't check.

imaima  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 10:58 am
amother PlumPink wrote:

What exactly is forbidden, the look of leather or the animal skin?
Because of course sheepskin is from a animal so yes.

Fake leather was allowed on YK AFAIK

imaima

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 11:01 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

I wore knitted sneakers, it’s convenient that there are so many kinds available now

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Oct 13 2024, 11:04 am
watergirl wrote:
To all those who wore uggs/leather shoes on YK, would you have preferred that somebody would pull you over and say something quietly to you so you’d know? I did not see anybody wearing UGGs or leather shoes, but I’m wondering why nobody said anything to anyone yesterday.

OP, you said that you saw many people wearing UGGs, you didn’t tell anybody?

We made people aware about it in shul & they had to take their shoes off right then & there. One guy was arguing with DH that it's not leather.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur