Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Boys in Mesivta - Secular Studies / New York

smileyface123

Post Mon, May 20 2024, 11:55 am
It’s become a trend lately for many mesivtas in New York ( I live in monsey) to basically abolish secular studies and regent programs. Now, they have some kind of life skills program. My son is going into 9th grade and I’m happy with the yeshiva rebbeim and I’m excited to watch my son grow. But I’m so frustrated that he won’t be getting a high school and regents diploma. Had this been 20 years ago or even 10 years ago, it would have been different. No secular studies have always been the trend in Lakewood mesivtas but not in New York. Now monsey jumped on this bandwagon. I would like my son to get a GED on his own and possibly a regents diploma. He’s very bright bh and it shouldn’t be an issue. Does anyone know of programs in monsey for mesivta age boys to help them with this? Or has anyone gone the home school option? I’m looking for some information in how to accomplish this.

amother
Burntblack

Post Sat, Oct 12 2024, 6:08 pm
Bumping this up because I'm wondering the same. I've been asking around and people laugh and say the rich people never had degrees. I feel bad to stunt my son on the chance he will go into chinuch, real estate or nursing homes. He's very bright and I want to give him the chance to earn a respectable job eventually to support his family. I'm so grateful my in laws were responsible enough to send dh to a yeshiva with English so he finished his bachelors while in bais medrash and as soon as he left kollel (5 years into marriage) he did a masters program right away and got a professional job.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Sat, Oct 12 2024, 6:22 pm
I had three sons go through monsey high schools and all three got regents diplomas. They went to Rabbi Lieff, Sharei Torah, and Klugman’s. Is this a new thing. Like the last two years?

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Oct 12 2024, 6:30 pm
I’ve read articles that the regents are being banned as of this school year 2025 in NY for everybody. The regents diploma will no longer be a requirement to graduate. It could be that the schools are actually following the DOE recommendations. Education is becoming more project based and life skills based across the board especially for public schools.

gottago  

Post Yesterday at 3:00 am
The lifeskill curriculum is great and does give them a regents diploma. Double check with the yeshiva you're sending to.

amother
Lightblue

Post Yesterday at 4:56 am
gottago wrote:
The lifeskill curriculum is great and does give them a regents diploma. Double check with the yeshiva you're sending to.

As a hs teacher, our school ( as girls by) isn't holding our breath about this .... Did you hear the requirements yet? I think it was like sending kid to work etc ..?

gottago  

Post Yesterday at 4:59 am
My son's yeshiva does lifeprep and he has taken regent tests for the last 2 years.

gottago

Post Yesterday at 4:59 am
My son's yeshiva does lifeprep and he has taken regent tests for the last 2 years.

amother
Heather

Post Yesterday at 5:00 am
Are you sure he won’t get a high school diploma.
My son got one bec he went to an accredited beis medrish and it was required. They printed it out for us. Can use it for anything including fafsa and college. (Getting a high school transcript will be more challenging) but you can also get a GED instead (one son is doing that)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics