Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
I can't forgive. What should I say?
Previous  1  2

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 8:31 am
amother Cappuccino wrote:
You can forgive her and still have boundaries. If she continues hurting you, you can pull away.

But wouldn't it be better to talk it out than to just pull away? She's a nice, reasonable person.

amother
  Copper

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 8:41 am
amother Black wrote:
Tell her you forgive her and then bring it up after Yom Tov. There really is no other solution given the parameters.

You’re not allowed to say you do if you don’t.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 8:44 am
amother OP wrote:
I hear you. I guess it's not so much about forgiveness in the spiritual sense. As much as my willingness to keep investing in this relationship if this is what she does.

But however much I say I forgive you, if I pull away from the relationship going forward. That's not really forgiveness.

I just want to comment to this because forgiving and forgetting are not the same thing. You can forgive someone but still based on your history not want a relationship

For example, I suffered from CSA from a relative for many years. It took me a long time but I’ve forgiven him for what he did to me and how much damage he caused. I recognize it as a sickness and I truly feel sorry for him that this was the yetzer hara he got in life and wasn’t strong enough to overcome it. I daven every year that he will do teshuva. That being said, I still have zero contact with him and refuse to let him in my life or around my family

amother
  OP

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 8:52 am
amother Stoneblue wrote:
I just want to comment to this because forgiving and forgetting are not the same thing. You can forgive someone but still based on your history not want a relationship

For example, I suffered from CSA from a relative for many years. It took me a long time but I’ve forgiven him for what he did to me and how much damage he caused. I recognize it as a sickness and I truly feel sorry for him that this was the yetzer hara he got in life and wasn’t strong enough to overcome it. I daven every year that he will do teshuva. That being said, I still have zero contact with him and refuse to let him in my life or around my family

I 100% know what you mean. I have those people too. That's why I keep emphasizing that she's a normal person and we have a basically healthy relationship.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur