Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Robe Shopping - Vent
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Yesterday at 9:51 pm
Today was the third time I went out to look for a robe, spent at least an hour, and came home with nothing!!!
Why are all the robes I tried on in Jewish stores costing almost 200 bucks? They are literal shmattes. Why does plastic clothes cost so much money???

Why do so many robes need a shell??? Isn't that the point of buying a robe in a frum store??? Not to have to layer? Besides, when the robe costs what it costs (precisely because it's an exclusive Jewish item), I dont' want to spend another 30 bucks for a shell.

Why are so many robes made that I can't nurse in them? I mean, aren't about a third of Jewish women at any given time nursing their babies/toddlers? If I can only nurse in my bedroom by lifting up the whole robe from the bottom, it's a no-go for me.

Why are they nearly all made of polyester??? Can we have cottons please???? I need some breathable fabric. My last robe was a cotton velour, but I can't find another sucha. In the summer, same problem. Can we have cool lightweight breathable materials and not shvitzy polyester?

All this is besides for the difficult fit. I feel privileged and entitled complaining about this factor. I have a typical Jewish momma shaped figure - hips that are disproportionately wider than my upper body. I canNOT take a size bigger to accomodate my behind because then it hangs under my arms, but a size smaller sits on my behind and hips. Can we please have robes with SPACE to breathe in them? Like after eating a meal and my belly expands a bit, can we have the extra mileage there and yet still have it fit nicely on top?

I am so frustrated!!!

Am I asking for too much?

amother
Clematis  

Post Yesterday at 9:57 pm
I gave up after afew stores and spent $200 on a robe. It's beyond insane. At least it's extremely comfortable & doesn't need a shell.

yiddishmom

Post Yesterday at 10:00 pm
Just a tip, I add 12" or 14" hidden zippers on both side seams, for nursing.

Good luck. Gmar chasima Tova!

amother
Cappuccino

Post Yesterday at 10:03 pm
I bought a maxi length shirt dress from Anthropologie. The buttons make it easy to nurse, it’s cotton really pretty and good quality soft fabric. Spent way less than $200, bought it on sale.

amother
Hotpink

Post Yesterday at 10:09 pm
I'm with you sista! I feel your pain!

amother
Whitewash  

Post Yesterday at 10:26 pm
Dd age 30 found an extremely nice, flattering robe for $70 on shell station website. I couldn't believe it! I think it may be called something like "velour maxi dress" but it's obviously meant to be a shabbos robe.

amother
Strawberry

Post Yesterday at 10:29 pm
I wear long skirts and a nice top. Can cost about 50$.

amother
Tulip

Post Yesterday at 10:31 pm
amother Strawberry wrote:

Same I don't do robes anymore

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 10:43 pm
yiddishmom wrote:

The last robe I bought (the cotton velour one) I actually got on sale because it was from the previous season. So if I paid 80 dollars for the robe and paid another 30 or so to add the zippers, fine it was worth it. For a robe that says 175 on the tag, plus tax, I'm not ready to pay plus go through the hassle to get those zippers added. shouldn't those hidden zippers be included??? Would those zippers bother someone who isn't nursing?

amother
  OP

Post Yesterday at 10:44 pm
amother Strawberry wrote:

I ended up doing this for the previous summer season but it's really not as comfortable as a one piece robe. I hate the waist band on my tummy especially after eating (yeah I already bh have a few kids and my belly is like that, easily stretchable...)

amother
Lemon

Post Yesterday at 10:46 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
Dd age 30 found an extremely nice, flattering robe for $70 on shell station website. I couldn't believe it! I think it may be called something like "velour maxi dress" but it's obviously meant to be a shabbos robe.

Dont you know? Only nerdy brands still call them robes. Nowadays anyone who’s a ‘thing’ calls them maxis or loungewear.

giftedmom

Post Yesterday at 11:16 pm
Check out lingerie shop sale section. Their returns suck a bit but they fit all your criteria.

iluvy

Post Yesterday at 11:22 pm
Maxi shirt dresses for nursing

amother
  Whitewash

Post Yesterday at 11:30 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
Dont you know? Only nerdy brands still call them robes. Nowadays anyone who’s a ‘thing’ calls them maxis or loungewear.

Oops Very Happy

amother
Geranium  

Post Yesterday at 11:39 pm
I'm so glad to see this post because I have a question. Forgive my ignorance, but I see "Shabbos robe" mentioned all the time here, and I have no idea what it means! I'm a BT, I don't know all the lingo. So, what's a Shabbos robe? When I hear the word "robe" I think of a bathrobe. But it sounds like you're talking about a dress?

amother
DarkGreen  

Post Yesterday at 11:44 pm
amother Tulip wrote:
Same I don't do robes anymore

Same
Too expensive, too unflattering, too uncomfortable, too ugly

calvinhobbs  

Post Yesterday at 11:44 pm
Wait! And they’re all black. There is nothing like wearing long black polyester frocks that don’t fit well and make you sweat buckets. Oh, and are completely overpriced in this free market world. Yay us.

amother
  DarkGreen

Post Yesterday at 11:54 pm
calvinhobbs wrote:
Wait! And they’re all black. There is nothing like wearing long black polyester frocks that don’t fit well and make you sweat buckets. Oh, and are completely overpriced in this free market world. Yay us.

And just think about how cheaply they were produced in China. Probably not more than $20 a piece Banging head

calvinhobbs

Post Yesterday at 11:57 pm
amother DarkGreen wrote:
And just think about how cheaply they were produced in China. Probably not more than $20 a piece Banging head

True but it’s all like that. Leggings are prolly produced at $3 a pair and no one seems to mind to pay a premium. And don’t get me started on “ribbed”. But then again, it’s free market, anything can be charged as long as there are buyers.

amother
Ruby

Post Today at 12:01 am
yiddishmom wrote:

...not all of us mammas can handle side zips. Usually stores sell a few "nursing robes" with the side zips.
I have purchased robes several times and had zippers put in (not the $200)
Last winter I found several choices of velour with full front zip in seposh when I couldn't find anywhere else. No shell needed
Devorah secret located in Florida. Has great website. Not many options but good prices. And some choices with front zip
...when I want to treat myself there is something about the quality of the more expensive robes.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics