Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Sourdough starter - feeding on shabbos

amother
OP  

Post Yesterday at 11:32 pm
I’m new to sourdough baking and am reading that it needs to be fed every 12 hours to stay alive. What do people do for Shabbos and chag? How do you feed on Shabbos?

yiddishmom

Post Today at 12:04 am
You are not allowed to feed it in shabbos.
Refrigerate it for shabbos.
mS feed it, and start the 12 hour cycle again.
This is done any time you don't want the sourdough active.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Today at 12:05 am
I’ve been making sourdough for 2 years now, I feed it the night before and then again in the morning of the day that im going to be preparing the bread.
I dont know anyone that feeds every day 🙈

amother
Aconite  

Post Today at 12:10 am
You only need to feed everyday when starting from scratch. And even then skipping over Shabbos is fine. If really nervous out in fridge over Shabbos.

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 1:06 am
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
I’ve been making sourdough for 2 years now, I feed it the night before and then again in the morning of the day that im going to be preparing the bread.
I dont know anyone that feeds every day 🙈

Wow this is amazing to hear because I’ve been struggling with the idea of having to feed daily. I’ll definitely try this. Would you recommend waiting until your starter is mature beyond a certain point, or can I try this once my starter is active (about a week)?

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 1:07 am
amother Aconite wrote:
You only need to feed everyday when starting from scratch. And even then skipping over Shabbos is fine. If really nervous out in fridge over Shabbos.

I just started from scratch today so shabbos would only be day 4.

amother
Whitewash

Post Today at 1:42 am
It doesn't need three full meals with kiddush and hamotzi? Treat it like any other member of your household!

amother
  Aconite

Post Today at 1:45 am
amother OP wrote:
Wow this is amazing to hear because I’ve been struggling with the idea of having to feed daily. I’ll definitely try this. Would you recommend waiting until your starter is mature beyond a certain point, or can I try this once my starter is active (about a week)?

I would wait until it is really strong. Longer than a week.
Most ppl only feed 1-2 times a week. If using weekly.

BadTichelDay

Post Today at 5:58 am
amother Whitewash wrote:
It doesn't need three full meals with kiddush and hamotzi? Treat it like any other member of your household!

A sourdough below Bar Mitzva age is not chayav Wink

To the OP: a new made-from-scratch sourdough needs regular feeding and stirring every 12-24 hours until it is mature. Maturing takes 7-10 days, depending on temperature and other factors.
An established, mature sourdough can live in the fridge and be fed once every 1-2 weeks or so, or when you need it. If it goes hungry for more than 2 weeks, it will become weak and eventually go bad.

I've been breeding sourdoughs for years. Yesterday, I started a new one from scratch because my existing one went mouldy when I was abroad and left it behind unfed. I'm generally feeding my new ones only once every 24 hours, as in, every morning. On Friday, I plan give it an extra feed just before Shabbat and then another one Motza'ei Shabbat. Then, it's back to mornings.

amother
  OP

Post Today at 3:30 pm
BadTichelDay wrote:
A sourdough below Bar Mitzva age is not chayav Wink

To the OP: a new made-from-scratch sourdough needs regular feeding and stirring every 12-24 hours until it is mature. Maturing takes 7-10 days, depending on temperature and other factors.
An established, mature sourdough can live in the fridge and be fed once every 1-2 weeks or so, or when you need it. If it goes hungry for more than 2 weeks, it will become weak and eventually go bad.

I've been breeding sourdoughs for years. Yesterday, I started a new one from scratch because my existing one went mouldy when I was abroad and left it behind unfed. I'm generally feeding my new ones only once every 24 hours, as in, every morning. On Friday, I plan give it an extra feed just before Shabbat and then another one Motza'ei Shabbat. Then, it's back to mornings.

Thanks for sharing, this is really helpful to me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen