Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Seamstress prices

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Oct 01 2024, 12:38 pm
I’m new to the field of alterations and I don’t know how much to charge. I know that there isn’t a set price. But there is a general price in Lakewood.
I am taking in the sleeves of a dress and the sleeves are lined. (It’s lace dress) it’s very wide. A lot of material needs to be cut out hence it is more complicated. What is the general price for this?

Anyone who can help. So I know what to charge? I can’t walk into a cleaners and ask them? It wouldn’t be polite to just ask prices. They would not like it. Asking friends I tried already. Some say they don’t remember they haven’t gone in a while. Some people fix on their own. And some have relatives that fix for them and some don’t buy clothes unless it fits. That’s the reason I’m having a hard time finding out

Since I’m new I also don’t want to charge regular price.

I would b very grateful for some help.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 10:01 am
bump

amother
Cinnamon

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 11:07 am
I do alterations for people.
From the way you're describing it I wouldn't charge less than $25.

amother
Blueberry

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 11:09 am
For a kids dress a seamstress quoted me 40. I assume more for an adult dress. She is on the cheaper end and encouraged me not to do it because she felt bad charging that much, but said it’s a lot of work.

But also. If you have time for more work before sukkos please post your info.

amother
Calendula

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 11:22 am
Esimate how long it will rake you (add coushion if not straightforward) and multiply by what yoi want to pull in per hour.

Thats the cost. If dome other seamstress does it faster, good for them.

If you think it will take you longer because yoire a novice, cut the hours a bit.

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 11:26 am
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLIES. is very helpful.
hatzlacha to anyone that is doing any business and is working hard to make customers happy

amother
Lemonlime

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 11:44 am
If you are new and trying to grow your clientele, definitely go cheaper. Also invest in tools that cut down time.
I once went for a basic hem to someone that was apparently new, she had no special tool to measure the bottom so I had to stand there for a while while she pinned up the bottom. And then charged me $25 for that. And it was crooked after all that. My usual seamstress which was not available then, has a chalk blowing tool which makes that job 10 seconds, and charges me $15 for hems.

amother
Fern  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 11:50 am
amother Lemonlime wrote:
If you are new and trying to grow your clientele, definitely go cheaper. Also invest in tools that cut down time.
I once went for a basic hem to someone that was apparently new, she had no special tool to measure the bottom so I had to stand there for a while while she pinned up the bottom. And then charged me $25 for that. And it was crooked after all that. My usual seamstress which was not available then, has a chalk blowing tool which makes that job 10 seconds, and charges me $15 for hems.

They teach now without the chalk. Just pinning and using a tool on the machine to hem.

The chalk tool is really old school. I haven’t seen it in a while.
An adult basic skirt without lining is $15. But can double if there is lining. Or if is a circle skirt. Or pleated. So many things can increase the price of a gem.

To taper a simple sleeve with lining is $25

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 12:14 pm
amother Calendula wrote:
Esimate how long it will rake you (add coushion if not straightforward) and multiply by what yoi want to pull in per hour.

Thats the cost. If dome other seamstress does it faster, good for them.

If you think it will take you longer because yoire a novice, cut the hours a bit.

Do not calculate like that!!

When I learned how to do haircuts 25 yrs ago, it took me triple the amount of time and was not nearly as good as I do it now, should I have charged more? Of course not!!

My dd is an experienced seamstress, she invested in good professional serger and wants to buy a blind stitch machine in addition to regular one, should she charge less now because she'll do the job faster and better?
That's not how it works. Walk into a few cleaners, look at their price list and charge a little less until you're very good at it! Build up a clientele. If you're good at what you're doing they'll refer their friends.
Then you can raise your prices!!!

amother
Glitter  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 12:16 pm
amother Fern wrote:
They teach now without the chalk. Just pinning and using a tool on the machine to hem.

The chalk tool is really old school. I haven’t seen it in a while.
An adult basic skirt without lining is $15. But can double if there is lining. Or if is a circle skirt. Or pleated. So many things can increase the price of a gem.

To taper a simple sleeve with lining is $25

$25 per sleeve.

amother
  Fern  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 12:35 pm
amother Glitter wrote:
$25 per sleeve.

I don’t think so. It’s assumed if one sleeve is tapered both are.

amother
  Fern

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 12:38 pm
amother Yellow wrote:
Do not calculate like that!!

When I learned how to do haircuts 25 yrs ago, it took me triple the amount of time and was not nearly as good as I do it now, should I have charged more? Of course not!!

My dd is an experienced seamstress, she invested in good professional serger and wants to buy a blind stitch machine in addition to regular one, should she charge less now because she'll do the job faster and better?
That's not how it works. Walk into a few cleaners, look at their price list and charge a little less until you're very good at it! Build up a clientele. If you're good at what you're doing they'll refer their friends.
Then you can raise your prices!!!

Don’t want to change the topic but how does your dd handle friends and family.

Like a close family member who is struggling financially and bought clothing last year on clearance brought over for alterations.
On one hand I’d like dd to charge her less and look as a chessed. Dd doesn’t mind bec she has a big heart and understands. But on the other hand I feel bad.
(She is saving up for a serger and blind hemmer)

amother
  Glitter

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 12:40 pm
amother Fern wrote:
I don’t think so. It’s assumed if one sleeve is tapered both are.

Correct, but all seamstress I've used, charge per sleeve. $25 for the entire job is very little.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries