Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
This weeks Family First
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Snapdragon  

Post Yesterday at 10:05 am
amother Molasses wrote:
This style of writing is super trendy .... I don't think it was a mistake

They should get rid of this trend. Fast.

amother
  Snapdragon

Post Yesterday at 10:07 am
ladYdI wrote:
So who’s writing a letter to the editor for an explanation?!

It would be sooo much easier if someone can clarify on here. Author or editor if you're on here Hi

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 11:04 am
amother Snapdragon wrote:
It would be sooo much easier if someone can clarify on here. Author or editor if you're on here Hi

I'm sure one of the writers are here. I can't understand how the editors let it go through.

I appreciate an upgraded writing style, but the ends did not tie up here.

amother
  Oxfordblue

Post Yesterday at 1:59 pm
I don't think it was hard to understand. It shows how someone is triggered, and how she eventually sees it differently, and comes round. I thought it was a very clever piece.

It clearly shows how 2 people, even sisters, can have such different ways of seeing things. And how one's thought processes can change when the situation allows it.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 8:59 pm
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
I don't think it was hard to understand. It shows how someone is triggered, and how she eventually sees it differently, and comes round. I thought it was a very clever piece.

It clearly shows how 2 people, even sisters, can have such different ways of seeing things. And how one's thought processes can change when the situation allows it.

Did you understand what had happened to her that caused her to change her feelings? It seems like most people did not.

momallhours

Post Yesterday at 11:50 pm
Very unlike FF to let this get past

Ihatepotatoes

Post Today at 12:03 am
I'm not looking forward to Calligraphy this Sukkos if it's going to be all esoteric, with us having to "read between the lines" of stories without clear flow and meaning.

NechaMom

Post Today at 12:53 am
amother Dill wrote:
When I read it I thought for sure they left out a paragraph or a few sentences. There is no way they intended for the audience to understand the story as it was printed.

This makes the most sense. There's a paragraph or a page missing. I'm expecting them to fill it in next week.
Let's see who guessed the real story.
I'll add mine. She fell down the steps when she was 13 and no one was there to catch her. (To me this makes as much sense as all other possibilities. It's not our job to figure out an unwritten story. That's what the author was hired for.)

ladYdI

Post Today at 1:00 am
Can’t wait to see if anybody wrote a letter to the editor and if there will be an explanation

amother
Feverfew

Post Today at 1:05 am
Please post link to article onlin

amother
Chicory  

Post Today at 9:29 am
I don't think it was easy to follow, but it was beautifully written. Still not quite sure what happened to her when she was thirteen, but I do get that something happened and that was enough for me to understand what was going on? I don't know, I don't mind reading literary fiction (nonfiction? don't remember) in the magazine occasionally. It's nice to have a variety.

Absolutely HATE when it's a full-fledged short story or a serial that's cryptic like this, though. I'm fine with it in small quantities. Everyone has different tastes and different pieces cater to different people.

amother
  Dill

Post Today at 9:38 am
momallhours wrote:
Very unlike FF to let this get past

This. That’s why I say they were missing a paragraph.

amother
  Molasses

Post Today at 10:27 am
amother Chicory wrote:
I don't think it was easy to follow, but it was beautifully written. Still not quite sure what happened to her when she was thirteen, but I do get that something happened and that was enough for me to understand what was going on? I don't know, I don't mind reading literary fiction (nonfiction? don't remember) in the magazine occasionally. It's nice to have a variety.

Absolutely HATE when it's a full-fledged short story or a serial that's cryptic like this, though. I'm fine with it in small quantities. Everyone has different tastes and different pieces cater to different people.

If its abuse they need to write cryptic. How would you want them to write it out the details on abuse ?

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 10:47 am
amother Molasses wrote:
If its abuse they need to write cryptic. How would you want them to write it out the details on abuse ?

I thought of that, but it was very, very unclear. Maybe it was and maybe it wasn't abuse. What was the message? Where does it connect to having a niece with ds? Stories can be written cryptic, but at the end it should come to light. This one did not.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Today at 10:47 am
I didn't appreciate the article at all. It reminded me of the summer fiction story in the Ami Living that no one understood and they had to write an explanation for it a few weeks later. I thought that was pretty embarrassing on the part of the writer. If you need to explain the story, it wasn't very well written in the first place. I certainly hope the Calligraphy will live up to its usual standards this year.

amother
  Chicory

Post Today at 10:53 am
amother OP wrote:
I thought of that, but it was very, very unclear. Maybe it was and maybe it wasn't abuse. What was the message? Where does it connect to having a niece with ds? Stories can be written cryptic, but at the end it should come to light. This one did not.

To me, it seemed like the message was that she didn't get support when she went through her situation, and now, she's finally understanding from her sister that she should have, too, and this is how it should have gone for her. The whole idea of 'it takes a village' in the title.

amother
  OP

Post Today at 11:48 am
amother Chicory wrote:
To me, it seemed like the message was that she didn't get support when she went through her situation, and now, she's finally understanding from her sister that she should have, too, and this is how it should have gone for her. The whole idea of 'it takes a village' in the title.

I hear that, although it felt vague. I did email them. I hope they will clarify.

Queen Of Hearts

Post Today at 11:52 am
Ihatepotatoes wrote:
I'm not looking forward to Calligraphy this Sukkos if it's going to be all esoteric, with us having to "read between the lines" of stories without clear flow and meaning.

Exactly.
When I'm exhausted and finally get to read something I don't want to have to exert my brain cells to figure out what the author meant. A little mysticism is good but to literally not know what the author is saying is too much for a bunch of overtired Mamas.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room