Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Resources and guidelines when working on a secular place

azeitune  

Post Today at 1:10 pm
I work in a Hebrew secular school. I was very well received and feel very comfortable being the only orthodox jew. but sometimes there are challenges. I usually reach out to my Rabbi, but usually post factum as I can prevent or imagine all the situations that might arise. Do you recommend any resources ? Books, websites, foruns where I can share my experience and learn from other people?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Today at 2:02 pm
There's a book Nine to Five that addresses male-female interaction in the workplace. It's very right-wing

ETA it doesn't address other topics such as what to do if attending a meal with a sketchy hechsher or any other situation not related to tzniut or male-female interactions.

amother
DarkGray

Post Today at 2:13 pm
What do you mean by a "Hebrew secular school"? Is that like a public charter school which teaches Hebrew language? A non-religious school in Israel?

Are the questions that come up for you related to workplace interactions that would occur in any office, or is it the curricular content specific to a "Hebrew secular school" that raises most of your questions?

If the former, just general workplace stuff,, in addition to 9 to 5, there is also Making it Work and Making it All Work (the women's version). From briefly skimming, these books were not my taste, but others think highly of them.

Here is a positive review of the latter: https://cross-currents.com/201.....work/

learning1

Post Today at 2:54 pm
"Make it All Work" by Ari Wasserman.

azeitune

Post Today at 7:39 pm
Thank you all!
Just to clarify, it’s a public school with a Hebrew program. It’s really not about content, but situations like:
- helping kids with their non-kosher lunch;
- being asked by my colleague what is my opinion about her non-Jewish boyfriend ,
- leaving a sub plan for the kids during a Yom Tov
These are some examples I have faced already…
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics