Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Social anxiety

amother
OP  

Post Yesterday at 7:31 pm
How can I help ds? He's 6 and has terrible anxiety in social situations. He refuses to go to shul and whenever he does go, like when he came on rosh Hashanah to shofar with me he didn't move an inch away from me. He does the same at simchas, he stays at my or dh's side and doesn't leave for a second. He's fine in school or with the neighborhood kids, but any time it's an official even he gets very anxious about socializing. Any tips or ideas?

amother
DarkViolet

Post Yesterday at 7:39 pm
Therapy!

amother
  OP

Post Yesterday at 7:45 pm
I once asked a therapist if this needed therapy, it was at a shabbos program that had a q&a with a therapist, and I was answered that as long as he has friends and is comfortable with kids his own age then there's no need for therapy. Because it was at a panel I couldn't follow up for more information.

amother
Turquoise

Post Yesterday at 7:50 pm
This probably isn't the kind of advice you're looking for, but a few of my kids had social anxiety and what helped them the most was magnesium, a b complex, homeopathy and treating chronic strep.

I'm sure his anxiety shows up in other areas. Treating it on a body level helps with all the different forms by supporting his nervous system.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Yesterday at 7:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
I once asked a therapist if this needed therapy, it was at a shabbos program that had a q&a with a therapist, and I was answered that as long as he has friends and is comfortable with kids his own age then there's no need for therapy. Because it was at a panel I couldn't follow up for more information.

How does that make sense? Anxious children turn into anxious adults who can barely hold down a job and care for their families. The best thing you can do is get him therapy where he can learn the skills to conquer it at this young age. It’s easiest to conquer at such a young age.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics