Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
$150k annual salary and we are thank G-d making it
Previous  1  2  3

amother
  Blonde

Post Today at 1:48 pm
amother Pistachio wrote:
I've never heard this before. This is not mainstream halacha.

Don't forget that life nowadays is very different from times of Gemara, etc.
They didn't have cars (loans, gas, maintenance), insurance, retirement funds, phone/internet, water, G&E. Tuition (if any) would have been very different. My assumption is housing too (prob a one time expense). Basically needed to pay/barter for food, and saved up to occasionally get something new, like a new article of clothing. So maaser was likely a simpler calculation.

amother
  Chartreuse  

Post Today at 1:52 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:
Her circumstances are exceptional because it is virtually impossible for anyone buying a house these days in any sort of even tiny Jewish community with 20% down to have a mortgage of $1,600. So her anecdote is basically inapplicable to anyone who recently bought or will soon buy and is trying to figure out if they can survive on $150k these days.

I agree that's low, but we bought two years ago in a relatively expensive state and our mortgage was 1900.

amother
  Chambray

Post Today at 2:05 pm
My mortgage is 1575 (bought 7 years ago). We get health insurance through my DHs work. My salary pays for tuition pretax because I am a teacher.
I wouldn't post how we are BH making it because I don't see how it helps anyone.

mizle10  

Post Today at 4:49 pm
A mortgage is really the make it or break it. Where I live I can buy a 100 year old duplex for $1mil. If I were to put down 20% which would be 200k plus factor in taxes and closing fees I’m at about 250k down with a mortgage of $6500/month.

People who are making it either
A) bought years ago
B) are making a lot more that $150k a year

amother
  Chartreuse

Post Today at 5:06 pm
mizle10 wrote:
A mortgage is really the make it or break it. Where I live I can buy a 100 year old duplex for $1mil. If I were to put down 20% which would be 200k plus factor in taxes and closing fees I’m at about 250k down with a mortgage of $6500/month.

People who are making it either
A) bought years ago
B) are making a lot more that $150k a year

C) Live somewhere that's not as expensive

mizle10

Post Today at 5:12 pm
amother Chartreuse wrote:
C) Live somewhere that's not as expensive

Well yes, but I live in Canada and the only 2 Jewish communities with established BYs and Yeshivos are Montreal and Toronto. Housing is unaffordable in both places. We can prob find someone to sponsor us as US citizens and lose 33% of our savings on the exchange and start over with a new profession, but realistically we are here.

I’m not complaining at all, bh we have a good life, and we’re happy here. Just pointing out that it’s not always simple to move. And yes people who bought houses 10+ years ago have an affordable mortgage, and those who have a new mortgage are not living on $150k a year.

amother
Geranium

Post Today at 5:45 pm
We were able to make it on 150,000 in NYC with 4 kids. That's not a big deal . Now we have 6 making slightly more and it's really hard.

amother
NeonPink

Post Today at 7:02 pm
Our numbers are very similar to OP. Also making $150k combined. Our food and medical costs are higher. Our mortgage is $750 a month + taxes and insurance is just under $1500 a month when annualized. We just about make it but no cleaning help or vacations ever and it's tight.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics