Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
From what age do you buy makeup for your girls?
1  2  Next

Israeli40  

Post Tue, Oct 01 2024, 12:11 pm
She's asking, young teen.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Tue, Oct 01 2024, 12:37 pm
I never bought makeup, I let girls buy their own, just as I bought my own. If she's too young to go to the store and buy her own, she's too young to have it.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Oct 01 2024, 12:44 pm
They buy their own, starting at the end of 10th grade.

Israeli40  

Post Today at 6:39 am
My girls are much younger than 10th grade, and my mother bought me my makeup, so I don't mind buying for them at the right time.
I'm just wondering, I tell my 5 year old girl that she has to be ready to have makeup and high heels, so at what age are they finally ready?

amother
Thistle

Post Today at 6:41 am
For every shabbos, from 11th grade.
My young girls often ask for makeup for shabbos or yom tov, I allow it in the house.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Today at 6:44 am
My mother bought me makeup when I graduated high school. But we're the same coloring so I borrowed hers when I needed it before then.
I know that nowadays girls get them younger than that.

amother
Sage

Post Today at 6:50 am
My daughter started wearing mascara in ninth grade. I know some girls start younger, but that’s when she asked. It totally depends on her social circles. Now in tenth she wears mascara and lip gloss although I offered to get her more (maybe eye shadow). She has nice coloring and doesn’t need a heavy face of makeup. Sometimes she’ll use my blush which I don’t really use anymore.

Israeli40

Post Today at 6:54 am
Your time tables make sense to me, but my 11 year old puts on mascara for her yeshivish school! She took my old one from the garbage. Now it got used used up and she wants more. And her older sister for sure wants for shabbos.

amother
Seafoam

Post Today at 7:06 am
Israeli40 wrote:

We sometimes buy together, sometimes she buys herself but I don’t always like it because she had already bought some cheap junk that made her break out.
I am actually into makeup myself so I started applying makeup on her from like 10-11 years old IIRC but now at 14 she buys herself or I share with her.
She has her own aesthetic, nothing like mine

amother
IndianRed

Post Today at 7:25 am
The unspoken rule in my school was not until the end of 11th grade. My mother bought us makeup in 9th grade but we weren’t allowed to wear it outside the house. She wanted us to have exposure to it and practice using it so by the time we were wearing it outside the home we looked normal

DrMom

Post Today at 7:26 am
Israeli40 wrote:
Your time tables make sense to me, but my 11 year old puts on mascara for her yeshivish school! She took my old one from the garbage. Now it got used used up and she wants more. And her older sister for sure wants for shabbos.

Great way to get an eye infection!

11 seems very young for makeup, but I guess this is one of those community-dependent things.

amother
Bone

Post Today at 7:29 am
The rule here is 11th grade Pesach so that’s when we buy make up

flowerpower

Post Today at 7:29 am
amother Thistle wrote:
For every shabbos, from 11th grade.
My young girls often ask for makeup for shabbos or yom tov, I allow it in the house.

This. Dd age lower elementary has a kid make up kit. She can play with it but has to wash off before leaving the house. From 11 grade and on they can apply make up for shabbos/yt

Ruchel

Post Today at 7:31 am
DrMom wrote:
Great way to get an eye infection!

11 seems very young for makeup, but I guess this is one of those community-dependent things.

Around that class I was in a school on the Champs-Élysées and even so-called cool girls didn't wear make-up yet

amother
Papayawhip

Post Today at 7:32 am
My older dd wanted it very badly and got lipgloss and mascara for a Simcha at 13. If not for the Simcha I would absolutely have waited until high school. Younger dd (much younger- there are 3 boys in between) wasn't really interested until 11th grade, and also started for a simcha. Dd2 has b"H good skin so she only got eye and lip makeup.

amother
Chicory

Post Today at 8:15 am
With all my daughters it happened very organically. They would start with my make up and then the younger ones also had their older sisters'collections to play with. I would say that they started with light make up like lip gloss and mascara at about fifteen.

amother
Smokey

Post Today at 8:25 am
Israeli40 wrote:

But I did already buy her her own mascara and lip gloss that she put on for simchas at age 13/14 when she asked.

zebra111  

Post Today at 9:02 am
Its very community dependant. Here at bat mitzva they wear for shabbat. Dd has mascara, blusher and lipgloss.
Shes happy with that and so am I, I wouldnt allow mid week, and also not a fan of foundations etc in general

amother
Gladiolus

Post Today at 9:20 am
I got my daughter got some makeup at a drugstore at15(10th grade) for a Simcha. Now in 11th grade, she said girls wear to the school Shabbaton. At this point, I might take her somewhere where they can help her with her coloring and giving her decent products for her skin type and complextion and teach her how to put it on properly. I'm not good with these things, don't usually wear, and have very different coloring. I don't think she will wear yet on a regular Shabbos, but I want her to have the right products for when she does on occasions.

amother
Chambray

Post Today at 9:22 am
zebra111 wrote:
Its very community dependant. Here at bat mitzva they wear for shabbat. Dd has mascara, blusher and lipgloss.
Shes happy with that and so am I, I wouldnt allow mid week, and also not a fan of foundations etc in general

what type of community?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children