Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
How was rosh hashana in israel?

amother
OP

Post Yesterday at 9:16 pm
We were thinking of you and davening for all of you. Hoping it was peaceful. Any updates from israel to share?

amother
DarkGray

Post Yesterday at 9:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
We were thinking of you and davening for all of you. Hoping it was peaceful. Any updates from israel to share?

Following! Was wondering the same!

NechaMom

Post Yesterday at 9:37 pm
Same. Hard not to know what's going on for 3 days. Was definitely davening for a better year.

heidi  

Post Yesterday at 9:44 pm
amother OP wrote:

BH it was beautiful and peaceful, but very very difficult as we found out 20 minutes before candlelighting that my son's best friend was one of the soldiers murdered in Lebanon. Funeral is today. He was 21 years old. His father passed away several years. He has one brother. It is a huge tragedy.

chestnut  

Post Yesterday at 9:49 pm
heidi wrote:
BH it was beautiful and peaceful, but very very difficult as we found out 20 minutes before candlelighting that my son's best friend was one of the soldiers murdered in Lebanon. Funeral is today. He was 21 years old. His father passed away several years. He has one brother. It is a huge tragedy.

May Hashem avenge his blood!
It might have been his picture I saw at his father's grave, before going into Lebanon. His father was murdered by terrorists.Heartbreaking. may his family and your son have a nechama.

heidi

Post Today at 12:58 am
chestnut wrote:
May Hashem avenge his blood!
It might have been his picture I saw at his father's grave, before going into Lebanon. His father was murdered by terrorists.Heartbreaking. may his family and your son have a nechama.

No, that's a different boy.
Every single one is a whole life and a whole story and circles upon circles of devastated family and friends.

chestnut

Post Today at 1:14 am
heidi wrote:
No, that's a different boy.
Every single one is a whole life and a whole story and circles upon circles of devastated family and friends.

So true. Beyond devastating.

DrMom

Post Today at 1:19 am
Hard not knowing what was going on for 3 full days. Lots of very loud airplanes. No alarms where I live but plenty up North.

amother
Blushpink

Post Today at 1:25 am
Lots of sirens by us. One very scary one with so many booms.

mom24b

Post Today at 1:47 am
amother Blushpink wrote:
Lots of sirens by us. One very scary one with so many booms.

What area do you live in?

amother
Tulip

Post Today at 2:01 am
We also had many booms and sirens in the galil. And lots of air traffic.

Elfrida  

Post Today at 2:04 am
No sirens, but we could constantly hear aeroplanes, and some boys were called up over chag.

It was a very hard three days to be disconnected, but almost equally hard to leave that haven and switch on the news after Shabbos.

I don't think I've ever gone into Rosh HaShana trembling to such a degree. If they wanted to increase our awareness of din, they went the right way about it.

JasmineDragon

Post Today at 2:07 am
Everything was quiet by us the whole chag, which was lovely. We had sirens again this morning, which I wasn't expecting. Our area (near Hadera) has been quiet this whole war until now.

etky

Post Today at 2:59 am
Thanks for asking.
In our area, just south of Jerusalem, it was outwardly peaceful and quiet other than constant airplanes overhead. Weather was gorgeous too.
But there was an undercurrent of tension and sadness.
Here are some vignettes:
Fathers and sons saying goodbye to their families over chag as they were called up. One day they're in shul - the next day they're already gone. Worry about family members already called up before chag. Special mi-shiberachs for those wounded over the past year. Someone in our community laminated the lists and cut them up into segments before chag so each person in shul got a slip of paper with a few names on it to daven for.
We recited extra tehillim at certain points in the davening as well as additional Avinu Malkeinus written to cover all aspects of the current situation (hostages, wounded soldiers, terror victims, soldiers in combat etc.). Memories of those who were with us last Rosh Hashana and are no longer here. Nervous anticipation of the week ahead with a focus on the upcoming first anniversary of October 7th.
Hearing distant booms that instantly threw you back to Simchat Torah when you heard those same booms in shul but couldn't possibly imagine what was actually going on down south.
People exchanging their experiences of how and where they sheltered on the night before erev chag during the Iranian attack. Some were on the roads, others in supermarkets etc. The lucky ones were home.
Wondering what lies ahead, how much longer this will go on and what further sacrifices we will be called upon to make.

Elfrida

Post Today at 3:09 am
etky wrote:

We recited extra tehillim at certain points in the davening as well as additional Avinu Malkeinus written to cover all aspects of the current situation (hostages, wounded soldiers, terror victims, soldiers in combat etc.).

Coming out of shul, a friend commented that once we thought hostages and plagues were all in the past. Now we know that it all returns, just with modern variations.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur