Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
ABA therapist how to protect against molestation chv

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 28 2024, 10:32 pm
My son has a male aba therapist in yeshiva whom I never met. I am always extremely paranoid and not trusting of men. It definitely seems strange that a 40 yr old man would take an interest in becoming an aba therapist. How do I protect my son from any sort of abuse when he has such close contact with another adult that keeps giving him treats etc. I did say something to the agency that I prefer he doesn't pull him out of class. They did say that nowadays the rooms have windows and are safe etc. It still doesn't settle w me.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sat, Sep 28 2024, 10:42 pm
Why haven't you met him? Male aba therapists are hard to find, so they get paid well. It's also a pretty easy job, so why not? Why does your son require a shadow? Are pull outs essential on a daily basis for his needs? Otherwise you can insist they only take him out when the shadow is being supervised by the BCBA.

amother
Amethyst

Post Yesterday at 11:37 pm
First of all you educate you son about touch and s-xuality in an age appropriate way.

It makes a lot of sense for a man to become a shadow - it pays very well, doesnt need education and leaves time for other things like learning serious sedarim or running a business.

amother
Nectarine

Post Today at 5:15 am
I don't know if this is something you could do or not but is their any way he could work in an area with cameras. The bcba called also check up on him make sure he's doing a good job.

My kids busses have cameras and it's actually looked at from time to time and improvements are made for the safety of the kids. Now my daughters school has put cameras up in the whole building. The classroom, the hallways even The main bathroom-but not the stalls. It makes everyone's job easier. And there is more accountability.

amother
Dimgray

Post Today at 5:42 am
He went through a background check FYI in order to work

amother
Gray

Post Today at 6:22 am
Why on earth have you never met him?

amother
Hawthorn  

Post Today at 6:26 am
Sounds like you should first work on your paranoia then work on educating your son - if you educate him from an anxious state you will just tranfer the fear onto him and not work well with this therapist.

Either case you just need to learn to let go and say a kapital tehilim

amother
Gardenia

Post Today at 6:38 am
amother Hawthorn wrote:
Sounds like you should first work on your paranoia then work on educating your son - if you educate him from an anxious state you will just tranfer the fear onto him and not work well with this therapist.

Either case you just need to learn to let go and say a kapital tehilim

Omg. Wake up and smell the coffee. Your the one who needs help if your not aware of how common zxual abuse is! Especially a vulnerable special needs child who is at risk. Op is spot on to be concerned and asking how to protect her child

amother
  Hawthorn

Post Today at 6:57 am
not trying to minimize at all!
but being paranoid is not the right way either
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)