Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Stained clothes (baby stuff) on YT. What to do

AshkenazMom  

Post Today at 11:18 am
My one-month-old daughter vomits a lot. It's normal, but she stains a lot of clothes. And sometimes she gets dirty with poop as well. What do you do when this happens and you have two days of Yom Tov + Shabbat? Any tips? Can I leave some clothes soaking on Yom Tov?

BTW, I am quite minimalistic with her clothes and I am also worried about not having enough for the following days. 😅

scruffy

Post Today at 11:21 am
I'm pretty sure it's melabein de'oraisa to do so.

SingALong

Post Today at 11:31 am
I usually put it in a separate bowl in the laundry room so it won’t touch other clothing. Meaning I won’t place it in the usual hamper. Then after yt it gets soaked with oxy and detergent overnight, then washed the next day. I’ve had stains sit for a couple of days, that’s life.

Maybe get 2-3 cheaper stretchiest and pjs as backup so you have extra clothing just in case

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Today at 11:35 am
You need to get her some more clothing especially for these types of situations. Babies really need more laundry than other ages. Try to buy in the second hand store or get some from a neighbor/friend that outgrew the clothing.

imaima  

Post Today at 11:36 am
AshkenazMom wrote:
My one-month-old daughter vomits a lot. It's normal, but she stains a lot of clothes. And sometimes she gets dirty with poop as well. What do you do when this happens and you have two days of Yom Tov + Shabbat? Any tips? Can I leave some clothes soaking on Yom Tov?

BTW, I am quite minimalistic with her clothes and I am also worried about not having enough for the following days. 😅

Well you can’t be minimalistic.
Ypu cannot pretreat or soak AFAIK.
You dump in the laundry and hope for the best.
Afterwards you do laundry and they still need to wear something while the laundry is being done.
Ergo you need a lot of baby clothes

ShishKabob

Post Today at 11:39 am
Right now in this stage you'll need to get more clothing for your baby. Minimalistic doesn't work for this stage. It's part of the go and flow with having children. Sometimes we give up some of our comforts or idealism for the sake of our children. This is all healthy and it teaches us to be flexible moms. Mazel Tov Op and enjoy your yom tov and your baby!

Bnei Berak 10  

Post Today at 11:40 am
Bibs bibs bibs are your best friend. Some would also suggest double diapers.

amother
Chicory

Post Today at 11:41 am
Collect it all in a bag separate from other laundry. First thing after Yom tov it goes in machine. Wash on cold twice before even look at it.

AshkenazMom  

Post Today at 12:03 pm
scruffy wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's melabein de'oraisa to do so.

Yes, I know. But perhaps it is some trick to be used.. like putting some baking soda on the stains.. or something like that. I have never investigated this issue.
My main concern is not to have bad odour after the chag.

AshkenazMom  

Post Today at 12:05 pm
amother Chicory wrote:
Collect it all in a bag separate from other laundry. First thing after Yom tov it goes in machine. Wash on cold twice before even look at it.

Why cold? It is better for the stains?

AshkenazMom  

Post Today at 12:06 pm
SingALong wrote:
I usually put it in a separate bowl in the laundry room so it won’t touch other clothing. Meaning I won’t place it in the usual hamper. Then after yt it gets soaked with oxy and detergent overnight, then washed the next day. I’ve had stains sit for a couple of days, that’s life.

Maybe get 2-3 cheaper stretchiest and pjs as backup so you have extra clothing just in case

Thanks! I was looking for this kind of advice.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Today at 12:59 pm
Bibs and lots of plain black leggings (cheap from children's place). Don't ruin her nice clothing for wearing once on YT.

amother
Navy

Post Today at 1:00 pm
The really gross stuff like exploded diapers get put in plastic bags. Ordinary messy stuff goes in a laundry basket under the changing table. Stains are a fact of baby life, and no, you can't throw them in a basin of water till after YT, unfortunately.

imaima

Post Today at 1:07 pm
AshkenazMom wrote:
Thanks! I was looking for this kind of advice.

It doesn’t help you in yom tov. It’s only after shabbos.

AshkenazMom

Post Today at 1:27 pm
What about putting baking soda in powder in that bag? Will be considered as washing or dying? Again, I am thinking in the odours.

We live in a small apartment, our "laundry" is our only bathroom.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Today at 1:27 pm
infants (newborns!) need a ton of clothes. buy her more

mommyhood

Post Today at 1:37 pm
AshkenazMom wrote:
What about putting baking soda in powder in that bag? Will be considered as washing or dying? Again, I am thinking in the odours.

I would put it straight in the washing machine and keep the food closed. Wash on a heavy cycle after YT. The smell should stay pretty contained.
I don’t know if there’s any issue with baking soda but it’s not going to help with the smell of throw up.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Today at 1:58 pm
AshkenazMom wrote:

Ask your Rabbi.

amother
Ruby

Post Today at 2:10 pm
amother Ultramarine wrote:
Bibs and lots of plain black leggings (cheap from children's place). Don't ruin her nice clothing for wearing once on YT.

Ooh this is brilliant !! Definitely going to be doing this!

amother
Crimson

Post Today at 2:24 pm
Close it up in a bag so you don't have to smell it. But you can't put anything on it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry