Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Glass top gas stove?

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Sep 26 2024, 3:13 pm
I know which one I want but it comes with either a stainless steel surface or black glass. the black glass looks cool but is it practical? anyone have one and can report back on how it is? which surface type is more cleanable? (we spill food on our stove often…)

TIA!

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 8:22 am
anyone?

dankbar  

Post Today at 8:34 am
I have a clear glass stove top.....very hard to clean and can't use blech on yomtov, because glass can Crack from heat.

My other stove is stainless steel, cheap one, and much easier to clean.

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 9:08 am
dankbar wrote:
I have a clear glass stove top.....very hard to clean and can't use blech on yomtov, because glass can Crack from heat.

My other stove is stainless steel, cheap one, and much easier to clean.

thanks!

is it a gas stove?

Bnei Berak 10  

Post Today at 9:20 am
How can you have a glass stove top that is gas? Doesn't really make sense? Scratching Head

dankbar  

Post Today at 9:34 am
amother OP wrote:
thanks!

is it a gas stove?

Yes. Has burners with gas. Just top layer of top covered with glass for fanciness not for cooking induction

amother
DarkCyan  

Post Today at 10:13 am
I would never get a gas stove with a glass top because glass is inherently more fragile than stainless steel.

And there is nothing wrong with how a stainless stove looks - take a look at La Cornue stoves or even Aga if you think glass is more aesthetic. LOL

https://www.lacornueusa.com

Stoves are an appliance where you should be thinking about functionality - more important than how they "look" - sealed burners are functional - glass not so much.

I don't think there is anything wrong with considering aesthetics in a kitchen as I made a lot of choices based on aesthetics. For example both my refrigerator and dishwasher are paneled with the same wood style as my cabinets. Not to mention choice of counters and backsplash and floors.

But my oven choice was based on function and quality - Bosch side opening ovens as are my cooktops.

dankbar  

Post Today at 10:17 am
I think style for last few years us stainless steel anyway. Are these glass tops still in? Mine is old

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 10:52 am
right I agree functionality is the primary consideration. that's why I'm asking which is more functional--someone told me the glass is more cleanable but I wonder if they got mixed up and were referring to a straight induction.

dankbar

Post Today at 10:54 am
They convinced me in store that it's nicer and easier clean up, but it didn't prove that way. The burnt grease get stuck on, like caked on and hard to remove and then worrying about scratching it. My appliance is light color so very noticeable

Then I need to have everything cooked before yt and ready because can't keep a blech

For shabbos I use a hotplate and crock pot, and for yt I also only reheat on hotplate all ready food.

amother
  DarkCyan

Post Today at 11:09 am
amother OP wrote:
right I agree functionality is the primary consideration. that's why I'm asking which is more functional--someone told me the glass is more cleanable but I wonder if they got mixed up and were referring to a straight induction.

Glass isn't more cleanable than stainless steel.

It is just aesthetics which is a silly way to choose something when it makes something LESS functional.

Aesthetics should be a factor only if there is no loss in functionality or a slight loss that you can live with = I.e. I choose marble in the master bath for aesthetics and am willing to use marble safe cleaners on it.

I have a glass top induction cook top but that is because it is not gas and is induction. It doesn't heat up and so it is easy to clean. It is also safe because it doesn't heat up. I don't live where gas is an option and so the induction is far superior to standard electric - better than gas for some things.

But if I were picking a gas stove, it would NEVER be glass as it has absolutely no functional benefit and is even worse than stainless in terms of function. All the worse aspects of both electric and gas. LOL

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 11:59 am
thank you—you guys have brought me clarity!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Today at 12:04 pm
dankbar wrote:
Yes. Has burners with gas. Just top layer of top covered with glass for fanciness not for cooking induction

Do you push back the glass pane when you cook? If so, it's just a cover for the burners, right?
I would prefer metal over glass.
Shoutout: Kitchens need to be practical first and foremost. Estethics are and should always be secondarily to practicality.

amother
  OP

Post Today at 3:29 pm
The models I saw actually had glass as the surface below the burners

amother
Mulberry

Post Today at 3:41 pm
my parents had black glass for the past 20 years at least. I enjoyed cleaning it alot more than the stainless steel one I have in my rental.
its all flat, you dont have the ditches by the actual stove parts where liquids can pool if the soup overspills and you cant clean coz its all hot until the soup has cooked and cooled off a bit.
For YT my parents have single blechs so they used that and could keep one flame on for YT.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen