Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Help! Gas Stove and Carbon Monoxide

chrysanthemum12  

Post Yesterday at 8:33 pm
I have a gas oven/stove, never had to use it before for yonitf until last shavuos. I turned it on Shabbos mode, and lo and behold the next day the carbon monoxide alarm went off at 3 am. I opened up the windows and the alarm eventually stopped (then I closed the windows because of bugs), but a few hours later it sounded again. I really would like to be able to use my oven and stovetop on yuntif. Any tips for how to deal with this? I have an exhaust fan in my kitchen, I thought maybe turning it on as well would help. Does anyone know if that would work?

amother
Pistachio

Post Yesterday at 8:55 pm
First of all, when a carbon monoxide alarm goes off in your house, you grab you family and leave! CO can cause permanent brain damage or death. You don't open the windows and wait around hoping it turns off.
About your oven, it may be broken and sending CO into your house. Contact an appliance professional.
I personally don't bother with the oven and use a hot plate on a timer.

Last edited by amother on Sat, Sep 28 2024, 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Marigold  

Post Yesterday at 8:56 pm
We had this too. Carbon monoxide went off and we had to shut the oven... keeping a fan on for RH hope should be OK. With our oven, we are allowed to adjust the temperature but not shut it off...will keep it on 200 when not using it

amother
Hyacinth

Post Yesterday at 8:58 pm
There’s no word yuntif. Have it checked out by a competent professional, it’s not worth the risk. By 3 am when it goes off children’s brains can already be affected.

amother
  Marigold

Post Yesterday at 9:03 pm
chrysanthemum12 wrote:
I have a gas oven/stove, never had to use it before for yonitf until last shavuos. I turned it on Shabbos mode, and lo and behold the next day the carbon monoxide alarm went off at 3 am. I opened up the windows and the alarm eventually stopped (then I closed the windows because of bugs), but a few hours later it sounded again. I really would like to be able to use my oven and stovetop on yuntif. Any tips for how to deal with this? I have an exhaust fan in my kitchen, I thought maybe turning it on as well would help. Does anyone know if that would work?

Did the detector show what number the carbon monoxide was reading?

miami85

Post Yesterday at 9:04 pm
Sounds like something is malfunctioning. We've been using our gas stove and oven on SAB mode for 6 years and never had a problem

amother
Royalblue

Post Yesterday at 9:06 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
There’s no word yuntif.

Lol what?

chrysanthemum12  

Post Yesterday at 9:10 pm
Thank you for all the advice! Curious if any of you live in an apartment and have had this happen before.

chrysanthemum12

Post Yesterday at 9:21 pm
amother Marigold wrote:
Did the detector show what number the carbon monoxide was reading?

No, it doesn't have anything to check. It turns red when it detects smoke or carbon monoxide.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Yesterday at 9:44 pm
Our carbon monoxide used to ring every Yom tov when the oven and stove were on so now we leave the kitchen window open a drop and leave the stove on number 2 shouldn’t just be on a drop (so I was told)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen