18%  [ 20 ]
No  
 81%  [ 87 ]
Total Votes : 107

amother
Plum

Post Today at 4:23 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
Hooray to all the people that can easily afford to fill their carts to the brim and walk up and down the aisles at whim. I am sincerely happy for you.
When I look around will I pinpoint you as a snap person? Idk. But vast majority in my community are very recognizable. There’s all these extras and comforts that they allow themselves to buy - and even little kids fill their carts…
We were discussing it as a group the other day and someone was saying that when she sees a person filling a cart with ice cream she *knows* it’s uncle same paying.
Again, there are the rich understated and the poor overrated and the middle income who splurge on food and everything in between but by and large looking around will give you a picture

Or maybe I’m filling my cart with ice cream because it’s the cheapest birthday party I could think of for my daughter since I can’t afford one of the fancy places or even pizza.

And no,I don’t get fs. I’m poor middle class

amother
  Maize

Post Today at 4:25 pm
Op started this thread to stir things up a bit. Hence the reason she hasn’t been back nor has she explained the reason why she’s asking.

tweety1  

Post Today at 4:25 pm
exhausted wrote:
I get food stamps and no, you cannot tell from my cart. There are no fancy extras, no bought dips, no precut vegetables. I'm very very careful and it still doesn't last the whole month.

Came on here to day this exactly. How judgemental!

tweety1

Post Today at 4:26 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
Hooray to all the people that can easily afford to fill their carts to the brim and walk up and down the aisles at whim. I am sincerely happy for you.
When I look around will I pinpoint you as a snap person? Idk. But vast majority in my community are very recognizable. There’s all these extras and comforts that they allow themselves to buy - and even little kids fill their carts…
We were discussing it as a group the other day and someone was saying that when she sees a person filling a cart with ice cream she *knows* it’s uncle same paying.
Again, there are the rich understated and the poor overrated and the middle income who splurge on food and everything in between but by and large looking around will give you a picture

Most judgemental statement I've read on imamother in a while

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Today at 4:27 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
Just yesterday I heard that it’s a popular practice to apply on maternity leave when one doesn’t have income with a no income letter. (Obviously relating to people who are over income when they are working, and these same people have plans to continue working after 6 weeks paid family leave)
Not sure how that is not considered fraud but yes it’s a regular practice apparently.

Depending on the state, they really want to see the current/past month income and then they give you an income change that you must report if you get an increase, not if your increase isn't that high, you technically don't have to report until they send asking to prove income again (in 6-12 months). So if the family really has a decrease that time of maternity leave (it's unpaid), it's allowed... It's a month by month basis vs annual.

That being said, I don't know anyone who did this.

amother
  Impatiens

Post Today at 4:37 pm
I notice that imamother threads get heated when everyone is trying to prove that their anecdotal evidence is the way of the land.
I clearly say that in my community it is evident. Is it foolproof? No.
That doesn’t mean that those who are wealthy and don’t dress up to shop for food or those that are poor but wear brands and those that are in chinuch, or those that that they own the store, or those that will not skimp on food, or or or… I stand by what I said in my community. Does that mean it’s the same in your nucleus family, neighborhood, state, country? No.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Today at 4:41 pm
Yes. Bh.
It covers abt a third of my monthly food bill .
Usually used up by the first week of the month- I’m not due for a refill until the 5th of the month and my bank account is currently negative (by a small amount BH) so I made shabbos with what I had in the house …

amother
DarkGray

Post Today at 4:50 pm
Ugh. Yes. And I wish it was enough to feed my family of 6.
My husband lost his job a couple months ago and beause he qualified for unemployment we get 500$ for a month. That's a joke.

amother
Eggplant

Post Today at 4:57 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
No but a quick look around the grocery and I go carts will tell you who does and doesn’t.
There’s a very telling sign when carts are piled high with things that middle income people only get once every few yomim tovim.
Not bashing just saying

AGREED 100%

and before people go bashing how dare you speak bad about other frum people, this is everywhere. I see this with the general population in ShopRite etc…

Seems that the people purchasing things with less of a budget are those who aren’t actually paying for it .

(No , I am not on food stamps. But I sure have eyes. )

amother
Periwinkle

Post Today at 5:04 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
No but a quick look around the grocery and I go carts will tell you who does and doesn’t.
There’s a very telling sign when carts are piled high with things that middle income people only get once every few yomim tovim.
Not bashing just saying

I have food stamps.
I understand there is a preconceived notion of people with free money loading their cart with lots of extra but with today's economy it is not true for most people. There are always people who shop without boundaries, no matter how they are paying probably the only exception is one who only pays with cash. I must watch what I buy . No food stamps does not cover the food expenses of a frum family. I shop on sale. Bake my own baked goods and challa. Never buy take out. Besides school snacks (sale) and frozen pizza (sale and stock up) we purchase very little prepared food. Food stamps does not make it through the month! We spend plenty of money In addition!

synthy

Post Today at 5:10 pm
I don’t have food stamps because we’re too rich lol. The issue is that my dh did grow up with food stamps and his grocery orders are a lot bigger than mine because he’s not used to the mindset of being stingy with food.

amother
Snow

Post Today at 5:13 pm
Bh for food stamps! We used to put food on the credit card. FS has been a huge blessing.

The only cart you can tell is wic. Its the 12 bottles of milk LOL and the very specific items in very specific companies

Good shabbos to all

amother
Lily

Post Today at 7:02 pm
If you are 100% honest with every government form and reporting all income- then one shouldn't be able to "save the FS money for YT meat" and buy fancy items.
You would need the money for daily food expenses. While food stamps are not a lot, given that most of these kids would get free breakfast/lunches at school (public school for sure and many yeshivos in NY have kosher food lunches that are free to low income) the food money goes a lot further. Add in WIC and a family could survive if they don't buy fancy foods.

Unfortunately- many people lie. They earn income "off the books", accept payment in cash, or other means that the IRS would not be happy with. They earn too much to qualify but play games.
Many states have policies on these programs that if your income changes you need to report it even if it is before the required renewal date. But people don't.

We report everything required. Don't qualify. And could really use it. My state it is pure income/family size, nothing to do with getting Medicaid or unemployment. I am in a very Blue state and caught in the lower middle class bracket where between rent, utilities and food we are stuck with nothing leftover.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics