Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Eggs in potato kugel sinking to the bottom

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 5:58 pm
I've been making potato kugel for years but lately, no matter how long I mix it, the eggs sink the the bottom. I even mixed with with a hand blender, but didn't help. Any advice?

amother
Peachpuff

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 6:03 pm
Same here but my kids fight for the kugel eggie so I’m just going to carry on! I do wonder if I added a bit of oil to the pan and leave in the oven while it’s preheating then adding the kugel mixture if it would make a difference.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 6:05 pm
Try mixing it right before you put it into the oven. Put it into a preheated oven on 500 degrees or more.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 7:51 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
Try mixing it right before you put it into the oven. Put it into a preheated oven on 500 degrees or more.

That's what I did till now. It's only recently that's been happening.

B'Syata D'Shmya  

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 7:56 pm
How many eggs to potatoes?

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 7:58 pm
B'Syata D'Shmya wrote:
How many eggs to potatoes?

I tried various, less and more.

Moonlight

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 8:02 pm
Are you putting it into a fully preheated oven ?

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 8:06 pm
Can you try a new and fresh bottle of oil.

Orangehead  

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 8:11 pm
I you overgrind the potatoes the starch separates and settles on the bottom. Don’t grind your potatoes for too long and it won’t happen

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 8:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
I tried various, less and more.

Maybe add some potato starch or flour?

amother
Jean

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 8:32 pm
The problem is that you’re mixing too much. Potato kugal should not be over mixed. It could also be because the potatoes are not the best this time of the year

homemommie120

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 9:04 pm
Used to have it too. But then I saw once a recipe with exact instructions. In food processor you put in all ingredients except for the potatoes - using the white S blade mix it for a minute. Then switch the blade to the Kugel blade. After all potatoes are shredder in the food processor bowl with the rest of the ingredients mix it well and pour in into the pan. Do not over mix!!

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 9:07 pm
homemommie120 wrote:
Used to have it too. But then I saw once a recipe with exact instructions. In food processor you put in all ingredients except for the potatoes - using the white S blade mix it for a minute. Then switch the blade to the Kugel blade. After all potatoes are shredder in the food processor bowl with the rest of the ingredients mix it well and pour in into the pan. Do not over mix!!

in other words... do not overmix

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 9:19 pm
I used to have this when I used my Mom's recipe where you put all the eggs oil and spices etc in a food processor together for a minute before mixing it with the shredded potatoes.
Now I use the same recipe, but I just mix that stuff lightly by hand and never have that problem anymore!

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 9:26 pm
Thanks everyone. I'll try to mix eggs lightly and not in foor processor

Orangehead

Post Yesterday at 4:54 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks everyone. I'll try to mix eggs lightly and not in foor processor

And don’t overgrind your potatoes in food processor!!!! What is separating is not eggs it’s starch.
You make potato starch by over grinding the potatoes and then separating the starch…

amother
  OP

Post Yesterday at 5:18 am
Orangehead wrote:
And don’t overgrind your potatoes in food processor!!!! What is separating is not eggs it’s starch.
You make potato starch by over grinding the potatoes and then separating the starch…

The food processor does the grinding. I do it like I always did it when it didn't happen.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Yesterday at 8:40 am
I used to have that and now I finally figured it out.
No matter how many potatoes you use, some should be hand grated (or diff grate blade in food processor) and the rest should be chopped up with S blade. I hand grate because I don't have patience to keep on switching blades.
I usually make kugel with 10 potatoes, 1 egg per potato so 10 eggs, 1 small onion, 3 heaping teaspoons of salt (spoon from the cutlery set), a few sprinkles of black pepper and about 1/2 cup of oil

First I crack open all eggs in one container and mix that a little. Mainly I want to break up the yolks but not to whip it.
I grate 4 potatoes with the hand grater (I think it's blade E on the Braun), add in the eggs there and mix a little so eggs get incorporated into potatoes.
Then I put the chopped up potatoes and onion into the machine. I let that mix a little bit, enough that there's no big pieces of potatoes but it's not watery.
Add that to potato egg mixture and mix a little. Then add salt and black pepper and mix again. Not whip, with the fork round and round.
In the meantime the 1/2 cup of oil goes into the pan and that pan goes into the oven which has been preheated to 450 for maybe 30 seconds. Add the mixture to the pan and mix again. The whole thing with mixing slowly and with a fork and not whipping it helps the eggs shouldn't settle to the bottom
Bake for an hour, then take out of oven and add half cup of boiled water on top of kugel, cover with foil, lower temp to 350 and bake for 3 hours.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics