Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Machzorim - What would you think?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 4:09 pm
zaq wrote:
What's childlike about it, other than being a more moderately -priced edition? Does it or does it not contain all the requisite prayers?

I appreciate everyone's replies.

This is less about the gift given or gotten, and definitely not about pricey prayers... Though I happen to like the feel of a nice, smooth, full size machzor in my hands. I used to love the set I had from my first MIL. I do hope to get myself a nice set again one day, but it is very low on the list of priorities right now.

This thread is more about me surveying social expectations. Back in my old shul my community knew I was divorced, but now I'm once again a married woman and in a new neighborhood, so people might want to discreetly check my name...

(A name on a machzor cover can serve the same identification purpose for women as the embroidered name on a tallis bag does for men in my circles.)

My child's machzor has her name engraved on the cover. You can see how that might be awkward...

I think I'll just get myself a simple machzor to avoid this.

Thank you to all for your advice!

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 4:11 pm
amother Springgreen wrote:
OP I'm genuinely asking, after hearing all the responses, do you feel a little more confident using whatever machzor you do have?
I know it doesn't take away the feeling of "wanting a nice set" and hopefully a few years down the line you'll get one. But in the meantime, after see everyone's response, do you feel better?

Yes, I do, thank you.

Imamother can be a force for good 😊

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 4:18 pm
My oldest got one for her bas mitzva by a chassidish cousin. Problem it's so beautiful she's afraid to take anywhere

amother
Lemonlime  

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 4:37 pm
I have three

One with English instructions.
One with the Israeli layout.
My kallah one.

I like using the one that has English instructions even in shul. But also on YK I like using my white one. (I have two white ones not the one with instructions though)

Also on this topic.
What difference is your sukkos pesach machzor?

My community only has a RH YK machzor. And they come together.

synthy

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 4:45 pm
I daven in a chassidish shul, yes most women have a kallah machzor but plenty don’t and no one thinks twice about it.

But I’m thinking, if it’s important to you maybe you can buy only a rosh hashana and Yom Kippur machzor? Not sure it’s sold individually tho. I’d also sooner buy a simple machzor than use one with a kids name.

amother
  Lemonlime

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 4:46 pm
synthy wrote:
I daven in a chassidish shul, yes most women have a kallah machzor but plenty don’t and no one thinks twice about it.

But I’m thinking, if it’s important to you maybe you can buy only a rosh hashana and Yom Kippur machzor? Not sure it’s sold individually tho. I’d also sooner buy a simple machzor than use one with a kids name.

In Nussach Ari it’s sold separately and also as one Sefer for RH and YK.

zaq  

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 5:41 pm
Golly. I make no assumptions based on a name on a book. People borrow them, lend them, lose them, inherit them, go OTD and throw them away, move away and leave them behind, sneak them onto a shelf in shul because they don't want them, buy them in second-hand sefarim stores...I get a kick out of seeing a series of different names and addresses inside an old volume. I happen to possess one or two Siddurim with other people's names in them or on them. Who cares?

If I had a Siddur imprinted on the outside with a name I used in a previous life that I preferred not to discuss, I'd cover it with a piece of adhesive tape (or matching duct tape if I could find any) and write my new name on it. Let people think I bought it secondhand, what do I care? If someone is going to look down on me for using a secondhand Siddur, she's not the sort of person I would be friends with, anyway.

zaq

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 5:45 pm
Frankly, if I owned a set of books with white leather or leatherette covers, I'd cover them with pretty paper, wallpaper or a mailing envelope so fast your head would spin. I've seen some of those much-handled formerly-white Siddurim and they look downright grubby.

White spunbond mailing envelopes make ideal book covers. They're durable, waterproof, tear proof, large enough for most books, and cheap. Cut one open at the seam and turn it inside out so the print doesn't show. When it gets dirty or worn in a year or ten, recycle and replace it.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 6:19 pm
Chasidush. I bh don't stay long in shul just shofer time but definitely not everyone has kalla machzor. Some have with yiddish tietch or other machzorem. Honestly if I'm going to shul to daven I couldn't care less what machzor everyone else has.

amother
Waterlily

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 8:29 pm
I actually use my late mother's machzorim. They have her name on them. I feel more emotionally connected when davening with them. My husband use the ones he bought me.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 12:34 am
Would think nothing of it. Things happen. Life happens. Can be thousands of possible explanations. Also people aren't analyzing everything that in depth. Most are too busy worrying about real life or what others are thinking about them.

amother
Anemone

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 7:29 am
I don’t use mine.

I received a set but I find that interlinear machzorim really enhance my davening.

The set I received is not interlinear because my MIL made Snarky comments about people ‘needing’ interlinear as a preliminary statement before asking me if I wanted it. So I felt stupid and said no.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 7:11 pm
Didn’t read entire thread- but op, I’m chasidish (satmar) and don’t necessarily use my kallah machzir.
I like the m’ushem shameini (sp?) or tefillah bkavunah and will use that either with my ateres machzir I had as a kid or my kallah (btw, even though I’m married abt 13 years now, I did not get antique fancy shmancy with engraved name. So not EVERYONE gives that. But that’s not why I don’t use it all the time- it’s due to size and layout of teitch. I like the styles where upyidish/lukshen koi desk are same place), depending if I want to see teitch or where in davening. So I shuffle around 2-3 machzoirim.

An idea- if you leave your machzir on the table and it doesn’t have a name- put a tehilim over it, so hopefully someone won’t be tooo yentish to pick up the tehilim to check name.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 10:12 pm
Satmer as well, I love the MACHZOR SIDIRA. It has white lettering for tefillos you daven. It has gray where only the Bal Tefilla says. It is extremely clear and convenient, even though I have my regular (fake leather) Ateres Machzor. Most people are busy davening and not looking what it says on cover!!!
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur