Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Damage to vacation rental

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 12:38 pm
we stayed at a stranger apartment that they rented out while they were away the last week of summer. I don’t know if anyone stayed in it after us.

We Gave a security deposit. After we left, the owners had their manager look over the apt and returned the deposit. The owners arrived back to their apartment a few days ago. They sent me a bill yesterday for 2 items that were damaged in the apartment and claimed in what our fault and we need to pay.

Um, isn’t that what the security deposit was for and the manager checking it over before returning it?

I don’t recall any damage to the rental. We were only there for a week and took good care of it like we would our own home.

But even if we did accidentally damage something (again, we don’t recall any damage), isn’t it a bit late to ask for us to pay after manager said all was good and they refunded the security deposit?

SuperWify

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 3:28 pm
What were the damages they were claiming?

Molly Weasley

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 3:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
we stayed at a stranger apartment that they rented out while they were away the last week of summer. I don’t know if anyone stayed in it after us.

We Gave a security deposit. After we left, the owners had their manager look over the apt and returned the deposit. The owners arrived back to their apartment a few days ago. They sent me a bill yesterday for 2 items that were damaged in the apartment and claimed in what our fault and we need to pay.

Um, isn’t that what the security deposit was for and the manager checking it over before returning it?

I don’t recall any damage to the rental. We were only there for a week and took good care of it like we would our own home.

But even if we did accidentally damage something (again, we don’t recall any damage), isn’t it a bit late to ask for us to pay after manager said all was good and they refunded the security deposit?

If their manager gave you the okay, I believe you’re in the clear. If anything, the manager should be disciplined. You're out of the picture. Except if there is a contract that explicitly grants the owner the final say over the manager.

Also, if he can’t prove that you caused the damage—or better yet, that it even happened while you were responsible for the apartment—what makes him think you should be cover the costs?

thankyou1

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 3:38 pm
I think its on the manager that "cleared you"
And the owner should go back to the manager.
It doesn't matter what the damage is, that's what a property manager is for, and the owner needs to deal with the manager now and decide what is considered damage and what's considered "fixable"

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 3:42 pm
Sounds really strange for them to be contacting you now. I would also say that the onus is on the manager. Unless there is more to the story.

Success10

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 3:51 pm
Was this done through a legitimate rental site, like airbnb? Is there any fear of them leaving negative feedback?

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 5:29 pm
No it was a regular family who went away for vacation and rented out their house to make some extra money.

I have no idea if they had someone stay after us, but they had their trusted person who knows their apartment come after we left to look it over for damages. It’s not like an Airbnb official property manager but similar idea for when they go on vacation and rent out their house. They do this throughout the year. They apparently vacation a lot.

Yes it’s very strange that it comes later and it was very accusatory and a bad feeling all together

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 6:51 pm
It depends , do you know if you broke the thing they messaged you about? If it’s not an official air bnb it could be from inexperience they didn’t check everything

tweety1

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 7:26 pm
Legally if the manager did a walk through and gave you the security back then it's not on you anymore. The manager acts as the landlords agent to make sure everything is in order. Their beef is with the manager now not with you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics