Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
If you live in Monsey

amother
OP  

Post Today at 10:51 am
And walk long distances on shabbos or yom tov, until what age do you use a stroller for your kids? By what age are the kids able to walk long & hilly ways? My 5 year old still doesn't manage to do long walks without a stroller, I'm wondering till what age it's the norm.
(By my older kids, I had a buggy board & they took turns standing on it. But my 5 year old is the youngest now so no buggy board.)

amother
Trillium  

Post Today at 10:56 am
(why is this a monsey specific question?)

amother
Almond

Post Today at 10:57 am
You don't write how far. 45 min - hour?
It's far for me. I can imagine it's hard for a 5 yr old.
You can try letting them use a scooter.

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 11:08 am
amother Almond wrote:
You don't write how far. 45 min - hour?
It's far for me. I can imagine it's hard for a 5 yr old.
You can try letting them use a scooter.

By far I mean from 30 minutes or longer.
He doesn't want to use a scooter as we walk alot of hills up & it's hard to scooter uphill.

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 11:09 am
amother Trillium wrote:
(why is this a monsey specific question?)

Because that's where we live, and it's hilly here, vs in Brooklyn where it's straight & way of an easier walk.

amother
Pansy

Post Today at 11:11 am
amother OP wrote:
And walk long distances on shabbos or yom tov, until what age do you use a stroller for your kids? By what age are the kids able to walk long & hilly ways? My 5 year old still doesn't manage to do long walks without a stroller, I'm wondering till what age it's the norm.
(By my older kids, I had a buggy board & they took turns standing on it. But my 5 year old is the youngest now so no buggy board.)

5 year old still totally normal. My kids are big and tall so I won’t be able to use a stroller for my 5 year old soon and it’ll be really hard. I don’t expect her to walk more than max 25/30 min total. (So 25 min in a row or half hour divided).

We like to walk 40 min or up to 1.5 hr but won’t be able to do that again till she’s closer to 10 I assume from seeing my nieces and nephews.

amother
Emerald

Post Today at 11:35 am
Got a little scooter for 5 year old and it was a game changer

amother
  Trillium

Post Today at 11:35 am
amother OP wrote:
Because that's where we live, and it's hilly here, vs in Brooklyn where it's straight & way of an easier walk.

right but imamother has women from all over the world (beyond brooklyn and monsey), and the world is full of hilly areas that families and kids have to navigate on shabbos.

Jerusalem comes to mind

amother
Pear

Post Today at 11:40 am
amother Trillium wrote:
right but imamother has women from all over the world (beyond brooklyn and monsey), and the world is full of hilly areas that families and kids have to navigate on shabbos.

Jerusalem comes to mind

Why are you nitpicking she put in the location so people know what the geography looks like if you have something helpful to say say it otherwise move on

ShishKabob

Post Today at 12:41 pm
It really depends on the child. Some children handle it better than others. I would say 5 is still ok to be in a carriage especially if he's the youngest lol! I live in Monsey.
It also depends on how much your nerves can handle the complaints and kvetches.
I'd rather take a carriage than deal with stops every few minutes because "my feet hurt". Do what works for you.

amother
  OP

Post Today at 12:58 pm
amother Trillium wrote:

Jerusalem comes to mind

I understand. But as we live in Monsey, (and don't necessarily know what other cities/countries look like), I'm interested in hearing from others that live here as well.
No reason to get offended.
If you live in a hilly area as well, then by all means share your opinion as well.

amother
Ivory

Post Today at 1:07 pm
My 5 year old still sits in a stroller when we walk 20 minutes on flat ground TMI
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers