Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Salary question

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 7:52 am
Hi!

Specifically asking people who work in bais Yaakov/yeshiva settings in town.

It just came to my attention that my contract needs to be renegotiated after several years. I know that young teachers coming in are coming in with much higher salaries than those of us who have been working for 10-15 years. If you know what the going rate is for teaching English in a older elementary boys schools, please post approximate amounts. BH I'm in a position where the school appreciates me, and like I said it's been several years (with cost of living skyrocketing) and I feel like I want to know the ballpark.

If you vehemently believe that all teaches and rebbeim are over paid, over vacationed, and full of benefits for a part time job, please refrain for just this one thread from chiming in. I really don't want to get low balled.

oohlala  

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 8:35 am
How many hours/days do you work? How many years of experience? What degrees/education do u have?

mha3484  

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 8:36 am
What age do you teach?

Molly Weasley  

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 8:48 am
Demographics are important. What areas?

ddmom

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 8:51 am
I have some info but don't feel comfortable posting.
you can pm me.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 8:57 am
oohlala wrote:
How many hours/days do you work? How many years of experience? What degrees/education do u have?

15+ years in this school, standard hours for boys yeshiva elementary, and they don't care about degreed or education. I have a BA plus, but again this is a yeshivish place that literally doesn't care.

While I appreciate all input, please post a disclaimer if you're unfamiliar with with yeshiva chinuch system. Teachers coming in now, with no experience, are asking for more and getting more than teachers with experience. No one who works in the school has degrees.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 8:59 am
Molly Weasley wrote:
Demographics are important. What areas?

Flatbush, say grades 4-5, boys yeshiva elementary

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 9:01 am
I can dm anyone who doesn't feel comfortable posting amounts.

mha3484  

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 9:11 am
I live in a big OOT community not a voucher state and the school has a huge payroll. Starting salary for teachers for boys afternoon was at 28k a few years ago to teach 12 hours a week and very little homework and tests. So some grading on your own time but not a ton. If I had your experience, I would want at least 35-40 to teach 4th and 5th grade boys. Those are the hardest ages for a woman to teach and where I live the teachers are mature women who are experienced and should get paid well. They dont give new teachers those ages.

Molly Weasley

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 12:50 pm
OP
Please pm. I'm not privy to your exact situation, but similar.

oohlala  

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 2:07 pm
I work at a school that’s in town but not Brooklyn. Starting salary is 30-35 with no degree and more if a degree and/or experience. I don’t know how much they raise pple but probably not much. I work there in a diff capacity (semi administrative) and I’ve had very minimal raises over 7 years. However, I do get a tuition reduction that pre tax is very valuable. If u get something like that u would need to factor that in. So even to my salary is quite low, it’s worthwhile for me.

amother
Cherry

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 2:12 pm
Monsey school.

New teachers are coming in at 23-25. They officially cap at 30, but some teachers were able to negotiate small raises because of inflation.

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 4:37 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I live in a big OOT community not a voucher state and the school has a huge payroll. Starting salary for teachers for boys afternoon was at 28k a few years ago to teach 12 hours a week and very little homework and tests. So some grading on your own time but not a ton. If I had your experience, I would want at least 35-40 to teach 4th and 5th grade boys. Those are the hardest ages for a woman to teach and where I live the teachers are mature women who are experienced and should get paid well. They dont give new teachers those ages.

Thank you, this is very helpful!

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 5:03 pm
mha3484 wrote:

Would love to know how to get this 35-40k job. I love 4th grade, 5-6th almost as much. The hardest grades for me are 7th and 8th - 7th they are all busy worrying about their bar mitzvahs, and 8th they know high schools are just looking at the 7th grade marks and they all have senioritis.

oohlala

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 6:15 pm
seeker wrote:
Would love to know how to get this 35-40k job. I love 4th grade, 5-6th almost as much. The hardest grades for me are 7th and 8th - 7th they are all busy worrying about their bar mitzvahs, and 8th they know high schools are just looking at the 7th grade marks and they all have senioritis.

Our school is currently looking for a third grade boys teacher and sixth grade social studies teacher and pays relatively well. In tristate area, not bklyn. Pm me if u want info:)

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 9:36 am
We have men teachers for 5th grade but I have never seen a young post sem girl teach 4th grade. Typically my boys have had women in their 30s/40s and older who have experience and the right personality. If the school starts at 28 its not a huge bump into the 30/32/35 Range. I cant see any of them taking that job for less then 30.

The boys can smell weakness and if you don't have really good classroom management skills the they will eat you alive. I have a 4th grade boy now and had one 4 years ago. I find developmentally its a hard year. They are not little kids any more but not middle schoolers either. A lot of big feelings and increasing expectations that they are trying to work through but they lack the ability to fully process it all. The behavior can be very challenging.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics