Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
What are getting new for yourself lekuvod RH
Previous  1  2

Elfrida

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 9:24 pm
imaima wrote:
I learned that since most fruit are always available nowadays, it’s better to be yoitzeh on a piece of clothing for sure. Davka for rosh hashana, for shehechiyanu.
On Sukkot you get new stuff to have simcha as a lady.

In Israel we still have the simple pleasures of seasonal fruit. Smile 🍎🍐🍒🍊🥭🫒

amother
Milk  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 9:38 pm
A sheitel

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 10:16 pm
I asked dh to buy me a certain perfume I ran out of.

Brit in Israel  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 10:56 pm
amother Puce wrote:
I asked dh to buy me a certain perfume I ran out of.

You say shechiyanu on perfume? Or it's just something you got for YT?

Brit in Israel  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 10:58 pm
amother Milk wrote:
A sheitel

Just curious do you don't wear it first day so you have it for shechiyanu second day?
The whole concept of new items is new to me, especially as shechiyanu is only problem on the second night. Not trying to nitpick.

imaima  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 11:01 pm
Elfrida wrote:
In Israel we still have the simple pleasures of seasonal fruit. Smile 🍎🍐🍒🍊🥭🫒

You know I just need an excuse:)

imaima

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 11:02 pm
Brit in Israel wrote:
Just curious do you don't wear it first day so you have it for shechiyanu second day?
The whole concept of new items is new to me, especially as shechiyanu is only problem on the second night. Not trying to nitpick.

I make sure to wear the new item when I light the second night.

Brit in Israel

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 11:03 pm
amother Currant wrote:
Can you explain?

I. Israel it's very difficult to buy all fruits throughout the year, we have summer fruits and winter fruits. Only in the past month oranges and tangerines have been easily accessible to buy. Nectarines, plums etc are now getting very expensive and not such great quality. In a month's or 2 they will be very difficult to find in the store.
Since the fruits come in for different seasons we say shechiyanu when eating them for the first time that season so I haven't bought oranges or tangerine and will buy it for 2nd night Rosh Hashonah to make the shechiyanu. Usually when RH is earlier in the yr and it's still summer they are extremely sour as they aren't yet in season.

amother
Poppy

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 11:03 pm
Since we don't wear gold or silver jewelry on YK, I'm buying (cheap) sweet hanging pearls to wear instead. I'll start wearing it 2nd night RH.

amother
  Skyblue

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 2:58 am
Brit in Israel wrote:
I. Israel it's very difficult to buy all fruits throughout the year, we have summer fruits and winter fruits. Only in the past month oranges and tangerines have been easily accessible to buy. Nectarines, plums etc are now getting very expensive and not such great quality. In a month's or 2 they will be very difficult to find in the store.
Since the fruits come in for different seasons we say shechiyanu when eating them for the first time that season so I haven't bought oranges or tangerine and will buy it for 2nd night Rosh Hashonah to make the shechiyanu. Usually when RH is earlier in the yr and it's still summer they are extremely sour as they aren't yet in season.

It’s the same in the US too. I can’t get stone fruit in the winter. Certain kind of grapes only out in the summer. Watermelon, etc

amother
Lightgray

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 4:42 am
A new fruit

I got the kids new pjs
I’m getting my Sheitel done Dh got a new white kippah…

Moneys very tight basically going to tuition (crazy to think about) and groceries bills

BeH it should be a good sweet new year for everyone

Chayalle

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 5:21 am
Last year I got some new clothes since DD got married right after Succos....so I'm hoping they still fit. I better try them on! As I haven't worn these clothes since Pesach, they will feel new IYH!
I'm just worried because I gained back most of the weight I lost.....so hard to keep the lbs. off!

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 5:38 am
I'm confused about shehechiyanu. I don't think you say shehechiyanu on jewellery, a sheitel, perfume? Can someone clue me in here?

Genius

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 6:20 am
amother Cyan wrote:
I'm confused about shehechiyanu. I don't think you say shehechiyanu on jewellery, a sheitel, perfume? Can someone clue me in here?

We say shehechiyanu on Yom Tov. The second day of Rosh Hashana the bracha is a shaila. So there is a custom to have a new fruit or article of clothing as a backup, the bracha shouldn’t be levatala.

amother
  Milk

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 6:23 am
Brit in Israel wrote:

I'm sefardi. Women don't say shechiyanu according to our minhag.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 6:23 am
amother Slategray wrote:
Hopefully a baby! (due right around then)

This made me smile!

Bshaa tova x

amother
  Currant

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 6:15 pm
Brit in Israel wrote:

Thank you for explaining! Its funny to me that I can find israeli tangerines at the store in america almost always it feels like. I didn't realize the seasons worked like that by you.

ChalieB

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 1:20 am
I want to get a new dress, but I don't have any time to go shopping. Oh well, maybe next year.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur