Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What's the obsession with "dips" for every shab
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

Cheiny  

Post Today at 2:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
In my anecdotal experience, people devour any challah plain if it's good challah. at other houses where dips are served, people seem to take a small amount of the dips in what seems to be politeness to the hostess or take a bunch and leave a bunch on their plate. I don't see a lot of people drenching their challah in dips. seems like the hostesses often spend a lot of time making these dips that are barely touched. that's just my experience, but these aren't scientific facts.

I’ve had the opposite experience. Whenever dips are available I see everyone indulging, even when the challah is delicious…

Cheiny

Post Today at 2:58 pm
DrMom wrote:
I'm with you, OP.

Plain challah is warm and tasty, and doesn't need things smeared on it to be delicious. I can do without.

Also, why do people here call them "dips?" These things are more "spreads" than "dips." Nobody dips their challah into them like you'd dip a tortilla chip into salsa.

That’s not true. Many people pour some on their plate and dip their challah in it.

lamplighter

Post Today at 3:46 pm
I don't personally love them, none of my kids eat them, basically only DH is into it.
So I am not making dips because my family loves dips, I'm making them because we have lots of guests and they enjoy them. People like to come to a meal that has challah and dips, even if they don't like my food there's always challah and dips.
So yes I make dips for others. I don't think that means I'm giving into peer pressure.
My family isn't into cholent either and we make it for guests.

amother
Mulberry

Post Today at 3:48 pm
I'm as Ashkenazi as we come and I think mixing anything with so much mayonnaise is unappetizing and unhealthy. Sefardi salads/dips are actual food. I don't care for challah much and I'm trying to lose weight so I buy 2 dips for shabbos and everyone else eats them. Sautéed eggplant or matbucha. I'll make my own babaganoush with less mayonnaise than the storebought. We don't care for sourdough either. Dips go well on fish anyway. Dill and jalapeño dips are more like salad dressing imo.

amother
Brown  

Post Today at 4:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
the western palette using common western ingredients.

You mean palate. The roof and rear portion of the mouth cavity, used as a synonym for "taste." (Which makes no sense because the taste buds are on the tongue. Maybe "palate" sounds more elegant.)
A palette is a usually flat board, or pan with wells, on which an artist mixes paints, also used as a synonym for "the range of colors used in a given setting."

amother
  Brown

Post Today at 4:54 pm
I avoid those flavored-mayonnaise travesties, but I love love love plain oven-roasted garlic cloves. On gefilte fish, on challah, or straight from the pan, the darker roasted the better.

amother
  OP

Post Today at 4:58 pm
amother Brown wrote:
You mean palate. The roof and rear portion of the mouth cavity, used as a synonym for "taste." (Which makes no sense because the taste buds are on the tongue. Maybe "palate" sounds more elegant.)
A palette is a usually flat board, or pan with wells, on which an artist mixes paints, also used as a synonym for "the range of colors used in a given setting."

know where I can buy a palate to use as a trendy meat board to accommodate my western palette? Smile
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note