Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Weight loss injections

amother
OP  

Post Today at 7:15 am
I need to lose a minimum of 60 lbs. I have not been successful dieting in the past. I also have PCOS. Where do I go to try injections? I've seen advertisements for the "skinny shot." Should I go for something like that? Would a primary care doctor prescribe them? An endocrinologist?
For all those who are knowledgeable on this subject I would really appreciate the advice.
Thanks in advance.

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 7:51 am
Bump

amother
Thistle  

Post Today at 7:52 am
I believe that the best way to do it is through an endocrinologist and using brand name FDA approved medicine. The endocrinologist will send you for blood work (or take it in his/her office) and analyze whether something would prevent you from taking the meds (like a thyroid problem for example). He/she would also advise if you are diabetic or prediabetic.

Nowadays most providers are recommending Mounjaro/Zepbound. Eli Lilly is the manufacturer and offers the lowest dose directly from its website for $399 a month, and the second lowest for $549 a month. If you are diabetic then your insurance might cover it. (My boss is diabetic and her insurance only covers half of it). The higher doses can go up to $1000 or even $1200 but there are coupons that bring it down a bit.

The reason why it’s good to have an endocrinologist is that you can discuss any side effects especially if they relate to hormones like blood sugar. You also need to figure out your contraception options (don’t ask me, I’m not on these meds). I think you need a backup for the first 4 weeks and any time you go up a dose.

Next best would be to do the same thing through a regular doctor. Next after that would be to use Skinny Shot who also does a blood test before starting you on the meds. Their meds are not brand name or FDA approved but they are similar copies (like a generic brand) and I have heard good things about them as well. The advantage of the generics is that the price is much cheaper as the dose goes up.

I would also recommend some kind of therapy to deal with your weight loss. You will need to begin to think of obesity as a chronic disease like any other chronic disease (allergies for example) and understand that this medicine is for life. You didn’t cause the obesity, and your body won’t be magically fixed after 6 months so that you won’t need more medicine. If you go off the medicine then the original condition returns in a very short time.

Good luck!

amother
Seagreen

Post Today at 8:03 am
amother Thistle wrote:
I believe that the best way to do it is through an endocrinologist and using brand name FDA approved medicine. The endocrinologist will send you for blood work (or take it in his/her office) and analyze whether something would prevent you from taking the meds (like a thyroid problem for example). He/she would also advise if you are diabetic or prediabetic.

Nowadays most providers are recommending Mounjaro/Zepbound. Eli Lilly is the manufacturer and offers the lowest dose directly from its website for $399 a month, and the second lowest for $549 a month. If you are diabetic then your insurance might cover it. (My boss is diabetic and her insurance only covers half of it). The higher doses can go up to $1000 or even $1200 but there are coupons that bring it down a bit.

The reason why it’s good to have an endocrinologist is that you can discuss any side effects especially if they relate to hormones like blood sugar. You also need to figure out your contraception options (don’t ask me, I’m not on these meds). I think you need a backup for the first 4 weeks and any time you go up a dose.

Next best would be to do the same thing through a regular doctor. Next after that would be to use Skinny Shot who also does a blood test before starting you on the meds. Their meds are not brand name or FDA approved but they are similar copies (like a generic brand) and I have heard good things about them as well. The advantage of the generics is that the price is much cheaper as the dose goes up.

I would also recommend some kind of therapy to deal with your weight loss. You will need to begin to think of obesity as a chronic disease like any other chronic disease (allergies for example) and understand that this medicine is for life. You didn’t cause the obesity, and your body won’t be magically fixed after 6 months so that you won’t need more medicine. If you go off the medicine then the original condition returns in a very short time.

Good luck!

What kind of blood work results would contraindicate this medication ?

amother
  Thistle  

Post Today at 8:27 am
People with a history of certain conditions
People with a history of pancreatitis, gallbladder disease, kidney disease, or medullary thyroid cancer or multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2 (MEN2) syndrome

Pregnant or breastfeeding women
Ozempic is not intended for pregnant or breastfeeding women. Animal studies show a risk of pregnancy loss and birth defects.

People with diabetic retinopathy
People with diabetic retinopathy should talk to their doctor before starting Ozempic.

amother
  OP

Post Today at 8:57 am
Thank you for the information. Do you need to be on birth control to take the shots? If you don't conceive without medical intervention?

amother
  Thistle

Post Today at 9:09 am
I don’t think that you need to be on birth control. However, weight loss can make getting pregnant easier, and supposedly these medicines enhance the LH surge that triggers ovulation and this facilitates pregnancy (which may be significant for you because in PCOS the LH surge is often absent). So if you are okay with getting pregnant then you would not need to go on birth control, but you should monitor whether you are pregnant and then stop the injections at that point. (That seems to be what the rest of the world is doing - you can Google “Ozempic babies”).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise