Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Wwyd- sheitels :)

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 5:49 am
Sheitels belong in the finance forum because $$$…

If you had to decide between
A) getting a pretty wig now, before yom tov, from a processed brand for under your original budget that is supposed to last around 3 years.
B) saving up for longer maybe half a year to be able to get a virgin hair wig for $1500 more but then not having a new wig in time for yt and not feeling so great in your current wig options.

Skin top if that matters. I don’t want to have to replace for at least 2 years.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 6:10 am
I would get cheaper wig now but to be honest I don't believe in spending a lot on sheitels ever!!!
I think most ladies get bored of their hairstyle after a few years.

And I know lots of ppl that spent an enormous amount of money on their sheitels and didn't end up being happy with it!
When you spend less, the expectations are less! You can still love it!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 6:11 am
I vote plan B. By the time you have saved up the additional 1500 USD it's Pesach which is YT.
Better to invest in something quality.

amother
Dandelion

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 6:12 am
Cheaper. I get a 2700 wig every two years and then I constantly have 2 wearable wigs. The unprocessed ones last a bit longer but styles change and honestly they don’t last THAT much longer to make them worth it.

wanttobehappy

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 6:20 am
I say cheaper just make sure hair feels moist and get it by someone who will service it if need be

Tao  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 6:22 am
Its completely your personality.
We don't have a lot and I'm looking to replace my wig. I can't save up right now; we will dip into savings for it and I'm looking at 2 expensive options (not crazy expensive, but not cheap). I won't be happy with a cheap wig; in sheitels, 98% of the time, you get what you paid for. I don't want to have to buy another wig in 3 years, by which time wig prices will likely have doubled.
My sister on the other hand, who is relatively wealthy, only gets cheap wigs because she doesn't want to spend so much. She's not so picky and is happy with her cheaper wigs. I personally don't love them and would not be happy with them on me, but she looks great.
It's completely a personal decision....

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 6:40 am
I would go with the better quality. They look better, last longer, need less work, and overall have less problems.

amother
Holly

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 6:51 am
amother OP wrote:
Sheitels belong in the finance forum because $$$…

If you had to decide between
A) getting a pretty wig now, before yom tov, from a processed brand for under your original budget that is supposed to last around 3 years.
B) saving up for longer maybe half a year to be able to get a virgin hair wig for $1500 more but then not having a new wig in time for yt and not feeling so great in your current wig options.

Skin top if that matters. I don’t want to have to replace for at least 2 years.

In a year from now, looking back, which option do you think you will have wished you'd have done?

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 6:59 am
amother Holly wrote:
In a year from now, looking back, which option do you think you will have wished you'd have done?

I don’t know!

amother
DarkGray

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 7:08 am
personally I like getting cheap wigs but more often...
I find that once a wig hits a two year mark, no matter what, it just doesn't have the sparkle and bounce of a new wig...
at the end of the day, even expensive wigs are made up of dead hair, not connected to a breathing scalp.....so how long can it last?
kind of like a tooth that had a root canal...it's there but not getting nourished anymore...

Tao

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 7:13 am
amother DarkGray wrote:
personally I like getting cheap wigs but more often...
I find that once a wig hits a two year mark, no matter what, it just doesn't have the sparkle and bounce of a new wig...
at the end of the day, even expensive wigs are made up of dead hair, not connected to a breathing scalp.....so how long can it last?
kind of like a tooth that had a root canal...it's there but not getting nourished anymore...

strongly disagree here.
My 3-year-old expensive wig looks like the day I bought it.
My 8 year old expensive wig is what I'm replacing, purely because the cut is so dated I can't look at it anymore (side bangs and lots of shorter layers). The hair is still soft as anything, and it never knots, even if it hasnt been washed in ages. I'm going to keep it still as a vacation sheitel.
The good news is that one length is now in style, so if you get an expensive sheitel and in a few years from now bangs are in, you can always cut them...

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 7:15 am
Tao wrote:
strongly disagree here.
My 3-year-old expensive wig looks like the day I bought it.
My 8 year old expensive wig is what I'm replacing, purely because the cut is so dated I can't look at it anymore (side bangs and lots of shorter layers). The hair is still soft as anything, and it never knots, even if it hasnt been washed in ages. I'm going to keep it still as a vacation sheitel.
The good news is that one length is now in style, so if you get an expensive sheitel and in a few years from now bangs are in, you can always cut them...

The one expensive wig I do have (from three years ago back in the day when $3200 was expensive!) knots much more than my non processed wig

But hair is still soft

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 12:36 pm
Doing a little brainstorming. If anyone has any valuable insights please chime in!

My values:
Spending within means, not being showy or ostentatious, not being cheap and shortsighted only to pay for it down the line because it was too cheap.

I save up for what I want and spend when needed- recently bought a big beautiful and comfy couch and redid the family room, which my family is enjoying immensely; jewelry- I spend on nice, quality pieces less frequently; I have one designer bag (no logo) that I did a lot of research on to find one that I would get a lot of use out of and that is classic and not trendy.

Clothing- no brand names. Just relatively nice clothing for myself and the kids, to feel good about ourselves and fit in but nothing extravagant.

I’m married 12 years and only once got a virgin hair wig. I won a gift card and used it for that. Other than that I’ve had processed wigs. I currently wear a fall very often, as well as the virgin wig on Shabbos and a weekday irene wig - both of those are from about 4 years ago. I guess the virgin wig is still softer than my Irene but I do wear it less frequently.

If I buy the $2500 processed wig now, I’ll have it in time for yt hopefully and a family simcha but if I come into $1500 suddenly I may regret not waiting Smile

If I wait, I may regret it because I don’t know if I’ll even be able to budget an additional $1500 - I’m not sure either way.

I showed dh pics of both, he didn’t see a difference worth $1500. But he’s a man…

I
Basically I don’t know what to do! Financially what makes the most sense? What about emotionally?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics