Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Salatim/dips

DVOM  

Post Today at 7:19 am
My wonderful husband, love of my life, being Israeli, loves a full Israeli first course of salatim and dips.

Over the years I've made some, but as this is not my culinary heritage, when the family grew and time became a precious, shrinking commodity, chopping up dips sort of fell to the wayside. We've settled into a routine of 3 or 4 store bought dips/salatim each week, a far cry from dear Husband's ideal of 12 or more homemade delicacies. Does hubby complain? Never! Every meal (even when it's scrambled eggs or literal bread and water) is met with deep appreciation and satisfaction. This is not a hard man to make happy. But after almost 17 years of wedded bliss, I know how much my husband loves this stuff. We recently spent time in Israel, and I got a chance to see again the tables DH has described from his childhood, literally covered in little bowls of salad perfection.

Being in the business of making this man happy, I've decided to make dips/salatim the focus of our Yom tov meals this Chag season.

So please hit me with your very best salatim/dip recipes! I'd love most any I can make in advance and in big batches and freeze, but same-day dips are also welcome.

Thanks everyone!

Success10

Post Today at 7:34 am
Shredded carrot salad: Shred 2 carrots, mix with mayo, ketchup (optional), salt and lots of garl8c powder

Avocado: Mash with cubed tomatoes, add salt and garlic flakes

Salmon smash: Cook a small fillet of salmon. Let it cool and smash it up with mayo, garlic and salt. Add in some diced onion.

Dill: Mayo and fresh dill, sugar, salt, garlic

Roasted garlics: Peal a lot of garlic cloves, place in tin foil with salt and olive oil, bake in oven until soft but not burnt

Sweet potato: Roast cubed sweet potato on oven with oil, salt and garlic, let them get brown but not too dried out. Add sesame seeds after cooked.

Teriyake mushrooms: Slowly sautee whole small button mushrooms, or if the mushrooms are very large, then cut into half or fourths, when soft and done, douse in teriyake sauce and sesame seeds.

Cherry tomato salad: Half cherry tomatoes with fresh parsley, oil and a bit of vinegar

Apple waldorf salad: Diced green apples with pineapple chunks, nuts, mayo, sugar and vanilla

SuperWify

Post Today at 7:43 am
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....00476

DVOM  

Post Today at 7:54 am
Success10 wrote:
Shredded carrot salad: Shred 2 carrots, mix with mayo, ketchup (optional), salt and lots of garl8c powder

Avocado: Mash with cubed tomatoes, add salt and garlic flakes

Salmon smash: Cook a small fillet of salmon. Let it cool and smash it up with mayo, garlic and salt. Add in some diced onion.

Dill: Mayo and fresh dill, sugar, salt, garlic

Roasted garlics: Peal a lot of garlic cloves, place in tin foil with salt and olive oil, bake in oven until soft but not burnt

Sweet potato: Roast cubed sweet potato on oven with oil, salt and garlic, let them get brown but not too dried out. Add sesame seeds after cooked.

Teriyake mushrooms: Slowly sautee whole small button mushrooms, or if the mushrooms are very large, then cut into half or fourths, when soft and done, douse in teriyake sauce and sesame seeds.

Cherry tomato salad: Half cherry tomatoes with fresh parsley, oil and a bit of vinegar

Apple waldorf salad: Diced green apples with pineapple chunks, nuts, mayo, sugar and vanilla

Yum! Ty!

DVOM

Post Today at 7:54 am
SuperWify wrote:
https://www.imamother.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578045#7900476

Oooh! Great thread! Ty!

Brit in Israel

Post Today at 8:04 am
Matbucha, really easy and freezes well.
Can of whole tomato's (I use approx 5 fresh tomatoes peeled)
1 red pepper, 1 green pepper
Head of garlic
If you like it spicy add a hot pepper or 2
Salt, paprika and cumin.
Blitz in food processor.
Put it in a pot and boil for a good while. (Recipe says oil the bottom of the pot but I forgot)
After it's cooked I like to use the hand blender/immersion blender to get it the consistency I like.

Olive dip
Can of olives, mayo, garlic powder and a drop of sugar in the food processor.
(I do the can of olives on its own and each week add mayo and spices to a bit of it) It lasts very long just olives.

Half an eggplant down the width. Cut diamond shapes in the flesh, salt, pepper and olive oil it. Wrap the peel part in foil and baked on 220c for atleast 30-40 mins until nice colour. Heat it on hot plate and pour techina over it before serving.

Eggplant in tomato paste. Freezes really well.
Prick 2 large eggplants with a fork, put on a piece of foil and baked for 1 HR turning half way. Let them cool in a colander. Cut them in half and squeeze all the juice out the flesh.
Chop finely.
Saute onions until translucent add eggplant, 6oz tomato paste, 3/4 tap salt and pepper. Cook whilst stirring frequently for 10-15 mins (if it sticks add oil, extra oil at the end floats up and you can remove it)

Fry diced eggplant or cut in cubes with olive oil in 200c oven until well cooked.
Mix 1 crushed garlic, 1/4 cup fresh parsley or 1 tbsp dried parsley, 3 spoons sweet chilli & 1 tbsp soy sauce mix and add in eggplant
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics