Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
What are getting new for yourself lekuvod RH

tf  

Post Today at 3:40 am
The subject line says it.
I'm BH past the stage of changing sizes frequently so I have all clothes I need/want/like. I want something new for Rosh Hashanah. I can't figure out what to get yet another one of.

Elfrida  

Post Today at 3:43 am
I need some new tights...

And a new book never goes amiss.

amother
Slategray

Post Today at 3:58 am
Hopefully a baby! (due right around then)

tf

Post Today at 4:01 am
amother Slategray wrote:
Hopefully a baby! (due right around then)

Beshaa Tova. But don't you want something new for the Shehecheyanu?

amother
Bronze

Post Today at 4:29 am
Are you meant to get something new??

Help!

emee2

Post Today at 4:29 am
Jewelry?
Shoes?
Warm shawl that you can use in shul or the succah?

Elfrida

Post Today at 4:36 am
amother Bronze wrote:
Are you meant to get something new??

Help!

You don't need to for Rosh Hashanah. The shechechiyanu is the first time we're performing a mitzvah that year. On Rosh HaShana there is no safek about it bei g the first time.

There is more of an issue on Sukkot, but a new fruit is fine. We've been waiting to eat the new seasons fruits, so we can make shechechiyanu on them.

amother
Junglegreen  

Post Today at 6:29 am
A new me! I shed 30 lbs since May, the one dress and one skirt I've worn every YT for at least five years are so big they can't be worn, and the smaller sizes in the closet fit me again. I still have another 10-15 lbs. to go but I can still wear a different outfit every one of the three days. OK with me that they're not brand new. I haven't worn them in 5 years so they're like new to me. Hurrah!

amother
DarkRed

Post Today at 6:51 am
Elfrida wrote:
You don't need to for Rosh Hashanah. The shechechiyanu is the first time we're performing a mitzvah that year. On Rosh HaShana there is no safek about it bei g the first time.

There is more of an issue on Sukkot, but a new fruit is fine. We've been waiting to eat the new seasons fruits, so we can make shechechiyanu on them.

The sofek is the second night of Rosh Hashana. We use a new fruit.

Brit in Israel

Post Today at 6:52 am
Elfrida wrote:

Yes this, something I think you can only do in Israel, second night RH is saying shechiyanu on an orange or tangerine.
Blew my mind the first year here.

amother
Topaz

Post Today at 7:15 am
New fruit

I wouldn’t make a shehecheyanu on a new clothing g item unless major ie expensive jewelry or a sheitel. And I’m saving up for a new sheitel but not there yet

renslet

Post Today at 8:09 am
Elfrida wrote:

I think you mixed it up.
Rosh Hashanah is two days even in Eretz Yisroel, it's called Yoma Arichta - one long day, so there's a question about saying shehechiyanu the second night/shofar blowing. That's why we have a new fruit

Sukkos is only two days outside Eretz Yisroel and the second night we say shehechiyanu, cuz it's a completely new day.

zaq

Post Today at 8:49 am
tf wrote:
Beshaa Tova. But don't you want something new for the Shehecheyanu?

That's why we do the shehecheyanu fruit. I've avoided buying certain fruits till now in the hope that they will still be available RH time. I usually buy more than one variety if possible, in case we have a guest who has already had one or the other. And you only need it the second night, and then only because of the safek as to whether RH is halachickly one day or two. The shehecheyanu fruit is so that you don't make a bracha levatalah when you say shehecheyanu lighting candles or at kiddush. Typical halachic mechanism for covering all bases.

amother
Peach

Post Today at 8:58 am
We get new for succos bec it is the shalosh regalim (we save all new clothing and shoes)

For shecheyanu we look at the new fruit. (Best if didn’t see the fruit until bracha but for most ppl that is impossible)

amother
  Junglegreen

Post Today at 8:58 am
At least OP didn't ask, like a long-ago poster did before. every. YT. over a number of years, "did you get your new jewelry and shoes yet?" It was meant well but it came off a bit obnoxious, esp being bumped up over and over. There was lots of unbecoming showing off, as well as consequent protests from imas in shaky financial straits explaining that they couldn't afford anything new, or others who didn't need or want new shoes or jewelry.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur