Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Double take mishpacha
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
  Lightgray  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 12:18 pm
kugelEater wrote:
It doesn't sound like Meira expected Russy to actually do the brokering work or whatever (sorry I could not grasp what her business was!!) but she wanted her there to answer emails from clients and follow up etc. I don't think that's too much to ask, considering she had a very nice amount of time to get trained in. If she decided that she MUST go to camp, that's on her, and it's really nice of Meira for agreeing and even giving her a nosh package to take along. It seems to have been pretty clear from the get-go what the job was going to look like, and if she didn't like it, she had ample time to say so.

The whole going to camp right after starting a job and sending a nosh package was weird to me. It sends a certain message that you are acting/being treated like a young girl, not a professional adult employee.

amother
  Brass

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 1:29 pm
amother Lightgray wrote:
The whole going to camp right after starting a job and sending a nosh package was weird to me. It sends a certain message that you are acting/being treated like a young girl, not a professional adult employee.

From the way I read it at the interview and hiring she disclosed that the had a previous commitment in August and would start the job in September and as courtesy to her new employer she did the training in July. Not that she started the job in July and took a month vacation.

amother
  Lightgray  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 1:41 pm
amother Brass wrote:
From the way I read it at the interview and hiring she disclosed that the had a previous commitment in August and would start the job in September and as courtesy to her new employer she did the training in July. Not that she started the job in July and took a month vacation.

Giving a nosh package to take with her to camp just signals "teen employee" though and shows that the boss viewed her as such.
I think a lot of us have the experience of having been taken advantage of in our first jobs, by frum employers who preferred a "young girl" who wouldn't speak up/have certain expectations about wages, responsibilities, lack of support and so on, that they know they couldn't get away with for a more experienced/older employee. Why was Meira specifically only looking to hire an employee straight out of high school or seminary?

chanatron1000

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 2:07 pm
Aside from the employee in this case being a young girl, if you're looking for someone to take over the entire company during maternity leave, it should be someone experienced. And if you're at the point where you're already planning your maternity leave and you don't have an employee yet you're not going to find the ideal candidate.

DREAMING

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 11:41 pm
I think the employer left little room for error. She should have hired someone way earlier than 2-3 months before going on maternity leave.

amother
Topaz

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 5:12 am
And I think the story is ridiculous. In what world can an inexperienced 19 year old take over a software company with less than a month's training? And in what world would the father's friend hire the same 19 year old to build up and manage his customer service department? The whole premise of both stories here is so ridiculous that it's not even worth my time dissecting who was and wasn't right.

amother
  Lightgray

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 7:40 am
amother Topaz wrote:
And I think the story is ridiculous. In what world can an inexperienced 19 year old take over a software company with less than a month's training? And in what world would the father's friend hire the same 19 year old to build up and manage his customer service department? The whole premise of both stories here is so ridiculous that it's not even worth my time dissecting who was and wasn't right.

I have to agree.
It's also pretty unrealistic that someone moved back from Israel to the U.S., had to resettle their family in a totally new routine and living situation, and in a matter of just a few months, built up a booming business with tons of clients (if I'm remembering all the details correctly) all the while she was pregnant.
Leaving all that aside, I have personally experienced and had friends with the same, where frum employers specifically looked to hire young, inexperienced employees because (maybe subconsciously to judge them favorably) they knew they could take advantage and treat us in a way they wouldn't have dared with someone either married or a few years older. So I appreciate that something like this is being addressed in frum fiction even if that wasn't the main point.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room