Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Cabbage, meat and beet borscht

Msfuchs44  

Post Wed, Sep 18 2024, 5:44 pm
Hi, I am looking for a recipe for a borscht with cabbage, meat and beets. My Mother used to make it. My family is from Russia. My mom from Ukraine and my Dad is from Turka Poland. I am not sure where the recipe is really from. If anyone has a recipe I would really appreciate it. TIA!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 18 2024, 7:48 pm
Msfuchs44 wrote:
Hi, I am looking for a recipe for a borscht with cabbage, meat and beets. My Mother used to make it. My family is from Russia. My mom from Ukraine and my Dad is from Turka Poland. I am not sure where the recipe is really from. If anyone has a recipe I would really appreciate it. TIA!

It's supposed to be delicious.
https://www.allrecipes.com/rec.....scht/

write4right

Post Wed, Sep 18 2024, 8:44 pm
There's a Masha and the Bear episode on YouTube about this which is absolutely hysterical and that's what's going through my head.

egam

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 1:03 pm
Msfuchs44 wrote:

I’m from Ukraine and this is how I make it.

Cook meat for few hours on a small flame till it's tender. Sometimes I do this part day ahead, put broth with meat in refrigerator and skim the fat of the surface next day. The best meat for this is flanken, neck bones and of course marrow bones. I add few bay leaves while simmering the meat.
Next day I shred cabbage, peel and cut potatoes, grate beets and carrots together.
Bring pot with meat and broth to a boil, add potatoes. If the meat is in the big chunks, I take it out and cut it in smaller peaces and put it back in the pot. While potatoes are cooking, I sauté beets and carrots in a skillet till soft with a little of oil in the beginning. I usually add a bit of broth to it in the process. When beets and carrots are soft I add a can of tomato sauce and heat thru. You can also add tomato paste if you want. I don't use onions, but I guess you just sauté them first and then add beets/carrots.
When potatoes are almost done, I add cabbage to the pot. I don't like cook cabbage for long as I don't like it very soft. You can definitely put it together with potatoes. At this point I also add dry herbs (parsley, oregano), paprika, black pepper, hot pepper flakes, and salt. After that I add my beet/carrots mixture, adjust seasoning, add few cloves of minced garlic and turn off the pot.

Msfuchs44

Post Yesterday at 8:13 am
Thank you! That sounds like it. Do you have the measurements of ingredients? How many servings is it?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics